We are taking our first Cruise

lottathought

We are a family of 4.

Along with my wife, we have a 4 y/o and a 13 y/o.

We originally looked at a Disney cruise...and will likely take a Disney cruise in the next year or so. We had no idea you need to book so far in advance.

What has also stunned us is the comments about 2-3 months to prepare and people feeling rushed.

We decided that we wanted to get our feet wet and see what cruises are all about this year so we signed up for RCL Independence..going to Cozumel, leaving out March 31. we signed up at the end of January.

I am seriously wondering if I am missing something huge that I should be prepping for.

We have the excursions planned. We did it through the line since this is our first cruise.

We are driving to FL and have the parking reserved.

We do still need to get a hotel room as we are going down a day or two early.

Drink packages....check.

Sunscreen...check.

Bug Spray....check.

New sunglasses...check

Passports...check

Binoculars...check

Luggage...check

Snorkels and mask...check

Waterproof cases for Seapass and ID cards...check

22v-110v adapter...check.....(I do know a device has to be able to handle 220v)

We have to do the papers for boarding still..but I a, planning to handle that a couple of weeks out.

We are simply not paying those rates for a weak internet connect.

I am curious as to if anybody here has opted for the new At&t plan on the ship. It just seems pricey...but perhaps if we went with the 50 min voice plan only per ph. This would allow us to call when we need to reach another family member on the ship. I am guessing a min call would be enough at a time.

Of course this would have to mean that the ship has some repeaters to allow access from any port and deck for this to work.

I have been trying to determine the best way to keep in touch on the ship. I have looked at 2 way radios but keep seeing feedback indicating they will not be a good option on this size ship. Of course if anybody had a brand work well..or had another idea, I would be interested.

I also looked at goTenna but I am not sure how much better it would do with the steel walls.

I have gotten some idea of the tipping rate....but if I am sitting by the pool and want drinks...what is the etiquette if I have the drink package? Are tips built into the package as well? I plan to have a few...daily..am I tipping each time?

So any seasoned cruiser...if there is something that I am just missing, please let me know.

Many Thanks

We are a family of 4.

We originally looked at a Disney cruise...and will likely take a Disney cruise in the next year or so. We had no idea you need to book so far in advance.

What has also stunned us is the comments about 2-3 months to prepare and people feeling rushed.

We decided that we wanted to get our feet wet and see what cruises are all about this year so we signed up for RCL Independence..going to Cozumel, leaving out March 31. we signed up at the end of January.

I am seriously wondering if I am missing something huge that I should be prepping for.

We have the excursions planned. We did it through the line since this is our first cruise. Good idea.

We do still need to get a hotel room as we are going down a day or two early. Good decision. No sense in starting out your vacation stressed worrying about getting there in time. Especially in March.

Drink packages....check.

Sunscreen...check.

Bug Spray....check.

New sunglasses...check

Passports...check

Binoculars...check

Luggage...check

Not sure what you mean by adapter. Cruise ships generally have one American plug and one European type (round pins). Most, if not all, electronics are 110v-220v so you can plug them in anywhere.

We have to do the papers for boarding still..but I a, planning to handle that a couple of weeks out.

I am curious as to if anybody here has opted for the new At&t plan on the ship. It just seems pricey...but perhaps if we went with the 50 min voice plan only per ph. This would allow us to call when we need to reach another family member on the ship. I am guessing a min call would be enough at a time. Can't help you there - DH and I are generally together all of the time.

Of course this would have to mean that the ship has some repeaters to allow access from any port and deck for this to work.

I have been trying to determine the best way to keep in touch on the ship. I have looked at 2 way radios but keep seeing feedback indicating they will not be a good option on this size ship. Of course if anybody had a brand work well..or had another idea, I would be interested.

I also looked at goTenna but I am not sure how much better it would do with the steel walls. Most folks leave notes in the cabin for each other. You're right, walkie-talkies don't work on the ship. Actually, the public areas on the ships aren't that big. Just make plans ahead of time where to meet for lunch, etc. I'm assuming the 4 year old would be with you anyway. We've never cruised with kids so not sure on that sort of stuff.

I have gotten some idea of the tipping rate....but if I am sitting by the pool and want drinks...what is the etiquette if I have the drink package? Are tips built into the package as well? I plan to have a few...daily..am I tipping each time? Tips are included in the package. And added on to the price of any drink purchased separately.

So any seasoned cruiser...if there is something that I am just missing, please let me know.

Many Thanks

Sounds like you've got it all together. And welcome to the great world at sea. You're gonna love it.

The folks who "prepare" for months in advance are "planners"...serious PLANNERS. There is no need to be so anal about it!

A cruise is a vacation...that's all!

However, researching your ports with a guidebook is always a good idea. You may find that things you want to do require NO excursion at all! We seldom use excursions, and have a great time ashore!

Your other questions have been answered. Any package you buy has the tip added to it. If you don't have a package, and buy a drink, they add 18% to the price...so no additional tip is needed. You do NOT need to carry cash with you around the ship!

Just remember...this is a vacation! Not some sort of race or competition! Consider the ship to be your "resort hotel" (albeit, with smaller rooms!)..and act accordingly!

Edited by cb at sea

Regarding keeping in touch on the ship:

What would you have done before cell phones?

Post-it notes, a small whiteboard, or, really, any paper and pen, speaking the words out loud to indicate where you're going, making plans to meet in advance (and keeping them). They all work, and cost little-to-nothing and no one has to carry a phone at all times.

I didn't see on your list that you had acquired/had/applied for the appropriate citizenship documents for your trip. Do you have passports or have you gathered the appropriate birth certificates for everyone?

Not being picky, just trying to help out :)

Make a photo copy of your passports and cruise documentation

Extra batteries

Extra SD cards

I checked with Verizon and they cover the area of my next cruise $40 a month extra. I dont plan on spending too much time checking the net but just to have ability to check home on things back home if any issues arise and they need to call me.

For knowing where everyone is - leave notes in your cabin and agree to meet at certain times.

If you really need wifi - watch the ships' crew as they leave in port - they know where there is free wifi in every port. . .

I smile as I see 5 or 6 walking along - one of them carrying the laptop - for I know where they are going to catch up with family and friends back home.

Welcome to cruising - you're going to love it!

Pat

Seriously the ship really isn't that big. The children will be in the kid's clubs or with you. I really don't think you need to worry about being in touch by cell phone, besides you don't want to have to carry your phone around with you all the time. If you are sitting at the pool its another thing to hide.

For Disney its a whole different world, they have groups making presents for their group and planning gifts for the crew. Most cruises aren't like that at all. You have everything covered, I wouldn't worry about anything else. Stop stressing!

Don't overpack, take out half the clothes you're planning and double the money you'll be fine. :D

How did people live before cell phones? Ships aren't all that big that you're going to lose each other. Most couples stick together and if your 4 year old is going to the kid's club, they can't sign themselves out of the club at that age, so you have to go and pick the child up when you want. I would guess the 13 year old will also be in the club, but they can sign themselves out at that age. But to be honest, I'm not sure if I would allow a 13 year old to go off by themselves, especially on a first cruise. So, if you didn't want to use the cell phones (and never let a teen have a cell on a ship because they could go crazy texting their friends and you could come home to a four figure bill just for texts) there are other ways of communicating, as you've already read on previous posts. Personally, I feel those calling plans are way too expensive to make it worth it. Just plan your days, use post it's and decide when and where to meet up.

You are cruising during a peak time - Easter and Spring Break. Book a hotel NOW (you needed to do this months ago) and don't be surprised if you have to pay top rates. What port are leaving out of? You may want to stay 50-100 miles from the port and then drive the rest of the way the morning of your cruise.

That's the only thing lacking that I could see. Enjoy your first cruise!

Roz

We used the note method on our last cruise very well. We kept a pad of paper on the desk and would just note down our next location: hubby would say he's through working out at the gym and now was going to Skywalkers with his guitar to play some music; I would write I was on the way to hula class and then lunch by the pool; our teen would write back to the pool, see you for dinner.

If Disney ships have courtesy phones and voice mail on the in-cabin TV, you can call from the public areas of the ship to update the others. You can tell your teen to return ever so often to update his location. The 4-year-old can't leave the kids' area without you. There will be a daily newsletter you'll get (I'm guessing the night before) so you can discuss plans. And the ships aren't that big. Often I'll run into our girl while she's with her friends. We did get an Internet package for the first time in all of our cruises this last time but so I can check my email quickly (we gave our neighbors my email address; also my cell number, but my phone was turned off except when we were in port -- we didn't need an International plan as it was an Hawaiian cruise) and also so the girl can send messages to her friends at night.

You don't need to do excursions in every port -- I'm the family researcher and read up on our ports in guide books and on tourism websites. Beaches can be taxied to. Just make sure you're back on board before the time indicated in the ship's newsletter.

It's good that you are getting to your embarkation city ahead of time. Makes for a less stressful start to a vacation. But you should book your hotel soon as March is prime spring break time.

Sorry thought this upcoming cruise was on Disney....just insert "Royal Caribbean"

Edited by Cruisin' Chick

Many thanks to all.

We actually reserved the hotel yesterday. Here is what I am seeing. If you are flying in, Dania beach seems preferred as you want to think about taxi cost. This also pushes up the cost in that area. Since we are driving and taxi cost is not an issue, we booked in Ft Lauderdale itself...near the beach for a much better price. To those that asked...we all have valid passports already, even the 4 yo. As for the cell phones, we do know to turn off international data..and go into plane mode near shore outside of the US...and I am guessing phone and text only works at sea if you have signed up for a package? If I am wrong on that, please let me know. As the phones will also be the cameras, I am thinking we will want them. But I should ask...is it a better to ha e no phone and take a dedicated camera?

Lastly. ..what suggestions does anybody have for what to do in Ft Lauderdale the night before the cruise?

We do fine without phones on the ship- in fact I love not having a phone and Internet on vacation. When you take a Disney cruise, they have 2 phones in each room that are free (unless you lose them) that you can call between or call to rooms, so that is convenient. We don't book Disney cruises a long time in advance- we have flexibility at work that we can get time off within a month and we have found extremely good deals about 2 months out, so it depends on your flexibility.

They have basic supplies on board, so don't be too paranoid about fear getting something.

Many thanks to all.

We actually reserved the hotel yesterday. Here is what I am seeing. If you are flying in, Dania beach seems preferred as you want to think about taxi cost. This also pushes up the cost in that area. Since we are driving and taxi cost is not an issue, we booked in Ft Lauderdale itself...near the beach for a much better price. To those that asked...we all have valid passports already, even the 4 yo. As for the cell phones, we do know to turn off international data..and go into plane mode near shore outside of the US...and I am guessing phone and text only works at sea if you have signed up for a package? If I am wrong on that, please let me know. As the phones will also be the cameras, I am thinking we will want them. But I should ask...is it a better to ha e no phone and take a dedicated camera?

Lastly. ..what suggestions does anybody have for what to do in Ft Lauderdale the night before the cruise?

Being an avid photographer I would go for the camera. :D We actually will be taking 3 on our next cruise - my good camera and a back-up older model in case something were to happen to the good one and a little pocket camera to use at meals (yes, I'm one of those crazy gals who takes photos of food), etc. I tend to average 150 to 300 photos on a port day.

As for the cell phones, we do know to turn off international data..and go into plane mode near shore outside of the US...and I am guessing phone and text only works at sea if you have signed up for a package? If I am wrong on that, please let me know.

Yes you are wrong, if they are not in airplane mode the phones will connect to the ship's satellite and you'll have Maritime or Maritime Roaming showing on the screen and that will be very expensive!

I never put the cell phone out and about on vacation, its locked in the safe. I have a nice little pocket ELPH camera that slips in my pocket and takes nice pics. Of course I'm not informing everyone at home every 5 minutes of what I'm seeing and doing.....;)

We are a family of 4.

We have the excursions planned. We did it through the line since this is our first cruise.

We do still need to get a hotel room as we are going down a day or two early.

Drink packages....check.

Sunscreen...check.

Bug Spray....check.

New sunglasses...check

Passports...check

Binoculars...check

Luggage...check

I am curious as to if anybody here has opted for the new At&t plan on the ship. It just seems pricey...but perhaps if we went with the 50 min voice plan only per ph. This would allow us to call when we need to reach another family member on the ship. I am guessing a min call would be enough at a time.

I also looked at goTenna but I am not sure how much better it would do with the steel walls.

I have gotten some idea of the tipping rate....but if I am sitting by the pool and want drinks...what is the etiquette if I have the drink package? Are tips built into the package as well? I plan to have a few...daily..am I tipping each time?

Many Thanks

Sounds like you've got it all sorted.

Tips are built in to the package price, some tip more, some don't. Some tip a they go some tip in advance, some just tip on the lat day.

Re getting a drink at the pool, normally waiters wondering around, me I just go to the bar.

Like everyone else has said, leave notes in the cabin, or plan your day ahead. We just got off a cruise last week, on only one day did my husband and I chose to do different things; I left a note for him telling him where I was, when I'd be back, and saying "let's go to lunch then" and that's what we did. Definitely put your phone on airplane mode, because not only do you save roaming charges (unless you are pre-paid, like me, I don't roam), but you save battery life because your phone isn't constantly looking for a signal. I DO keep my phone with me at all times, because it's the only camera I have. Most ports, including Cozumel, have areas with free wi-fi, because we used it on our previous cruises there. Trust me, you won't really miss the lack of communication between you and the "real world". If you must, MUST, check email while onboard, just pay for a few minutes on one day of your cruise, and make it a quick check, no surfing Facebook or Twitter. You can use OBC for this.

Don't overpack; you can wear most of your clothes more than once, especially pants, shorts, or skirts. Bring some cash with you. For the next cruise, if you do your research, you don't have to do ship excursions unless you are going somewhere really wild or off-beat, like Antarctica. We have never booked a ship excursion, and we've been fine. Just keep track of your time.