How are Forward Mini -Suites on Coral?

testerlady

Our cruise is selling very slowly and I can get a forward mini-suite w/balcony for just $140 pp more than the balcony cabin we have reserved. I've been thinking about seeing if we could change our reservation and pay the difference. However, if we're really going to feel the rolling of the waves, we might not want to do that and just wait and see if other mini-suites drop down some more. The cruise is the partial Panama Canal cruise. Thanks for any info. :)

Our first cruise was aboard Coral in B223 (so relatively high) Vancouver->Whitter (Anchorage). It was a great cabin...no excessive rolling to speak of, aside from a mild roll for about 90 minutes while we were in unprotected waters. Our two cruises on Ruby (VAN-KTN-SEA and SEA-roundtrip Alaska-SEA) had far more roll due to 30+ knot crosswinds striking the (longer and taller) ship.

Make sure the forward mini is not one without a balcony.

Actually, the window mini-suites are awesome. The sf that would normally be the balcony is part of the cabin, so they are very large rooms. We had one through the Panama Canal, and we used the open deck just outside of our door as our balcony. There was hardly ever anyone else out there (except on transit day) so it was almost private! Of course, if you feel that you have to have a balcony, yes you would want to avoid these cabins.

Actually, the window mini-suites are awesome. The sf that would normally be the balcony is part of the cabin, so they are very large rooms. We had one through the Panama Canal, and we used the open deck just outside of our door as our balcony. There was hardly ever anyone else out there (except on transit day) so it was almost private! Of course, if you feel that you have to have a balcony, yes you would want to avoid these cabins.

I did not say there was an issue with them but someone not familiar with them and getting an upgrade/upsell on Princess may not know there is no balcony with some of them. ;)

I am confused about the "open deck" We are booked for C201. Is there a door near our stateroom? How large is the "open deck" Are there chairs?

Thanks

Dean

Yes it stretches from one side of the ship to the other and is about 10 ft deep.

In the photos its the open areas below the bridge windows.

No chairs its a steel wall/railing in front instead of glass.

coral-b.jpg

Edited by Colo Cruiser

There is an open deck at the front of Baja and Caribe decks. The door is right next to your cabin (C201). There are no chairs out there but the space is very large.

I've been in B206 twice; here's a photo of the open deck at the front of Baja Deck.

2865857450102519826TLMBtk_fs_zpskb4oako6.jpg

Thank you for your info. Looks great. I will pretend that this is our balcony and enjoy any privacy we have. I ,like the views in that they are circular and we can see both sides of the ship.

Dean

Thank you for your info. Looks great. I will pretend that this is our balcony and enjoy any privacy we have. I ,like the views in that they are circular and we can see both sides of the ship.

Dean

Yes, that is exactly what I was trying to say in my post above! Just don't go out on "your" balcony in your underwear and you'll be fine.:rolleyes:

I don't know where you're sailing, but I found that since there are no lights at night on this open deck because of the bridge, it was very nice for stargazing.

I would add a photo of the open forward deck, but I don't know how to insert an image.....:confused:

I like the idea of the larger staterooms in the mini suites w/o balconies. The outdoor area is convenient and will work for us. I promise not to go out in my underwear.

We are on the September 10th cruise from Whittier to Vancouver.

Dean

I like the idea of the larger staterooms in the mini suites w/o balconies. The outdoor area is convenient and will work for us. I promise not to go out in my underwear.

We are on the September 10th cruise from Whittier to Vancouver.

Dean

You probably need to send that in writing to the bridge staff as they are the one you will be on display to.

• 3 months later...
Looks like the forward deck will be perfect for Alaska (but on the Island). Are those doors sometimes locked?

99% of the time no.

We have one of these (C202) on Island for the southbound after our connoisseur land tour. The land portion starts June 23 and the southbound boards June 29. I'm not worried about being forward as I use a patch for sickness. (Normally I get car sick on a winding road if I'm not driving but, with the patch, I don't get sick onboard even in storms. We had a pretty "rocking good time" doing the PC transit cruise last year and many people went for a lie down but I had no issues due to my patch. :))

My wife will be happy to know there is access right outside even if there is no lounger. I would expect it to be pretty breezy though when moving along quickly at sea.

We had a pretty "rocking good time" doing the PC transit cruise last year and many people went for a lie down but I had no issues due to my patch. :))

What time of your was your PC transit? We have a forward mini-suite and I was just wondering about the possibility of rough waters in April.

Thanks!

What time of your was your PC transit? We have a forward mini-suite and I was just wondering about the possibility of rough waters in April.

Thanks!

We did the transit from Sept 21 - Oct 8. The captain had the choice of skipping a port or skirting a tropical storm. We skirted the storm. All outside deck access was closed for the evening and the night due to high winds and a rocking ship. Later we were treated to a huge lightning storm over the ocean. It was amazing to watch and really pretty cool. :) We were on Coral all the way aft in a OV cabin - B731. We loved it. There was a large observation deck right outside with maybe 8 loungers on it. Usually it was either deserted or mostly deserted.