Better choice for young adults/teens?

beckzay

I'm surprising my husband for his 40th birthday next year with a cruise. So, since I can't ask him for opinions I need everyone's advice here :)

We'll be a group of 5 or 6. Me, my husband, our children (ages 23,23 and 16). One of the 23 yr olds might bring his girlfriend too. Our children have never cruised so they can't give me advice on which they would prefer since they don't know what to expect. This trip needs to be budget friendly...since I'm hiding it from my husband and paying for it on my own. Right now, here are my choices:

Pride...sailing from Baltimore, 7 night, 3 sea days, 3 ports (GT, HMC and Freeport)

Sunshine...sailing from Port Canaveral, 5 night, 1 sea day, 3 ports (Nassau, HMC and Freeport)

Both require a hotel the night before. However, we would fly to Port Canaveral (3 hr flight...usually a non-stop from Boston) but drive to Baltimore (8 hour drive).

Both are pretty much exactly the same price after figuring in airfare of around $300 pp round trip, but it's too early obviously to see prices. It's usually right around there though.

So, do we pick a shorter cruise on a ship that can offer the "kids" more or is the Pride alright for them? My husband and I have sailed on the Miracle from NYC before and the ships are almost identical. We liked it, just worried there's not enough to keep the young adults and teenager occupied for 3 sea days. I know they would prefer the Sunshine because they are active and adventurous but like I said before, they wouldn't know any better if they didn't have a fancy sports deck ;)

I know that either option would be great, and I would gladly sail on either ship/itinerary, but I just want to be sure the "kids" enjoy themselves.

What do you think would be our best option?

I would do a longer cruise any day. That being said, our only cruise on a smaller ship with fewer amenities was also without kids. Not sure what they'd prefer. Look at what amenities the Sunshine has vs the Pride. Would those be very important to your kids, or is it the overall experience?

We have taken seven Caribbean cruises. Next year, we will have a family group of 10, on our cruise. One family has never cruised before. My son-in-law wondered if his two sons, ages 14 and 16, might get bored?

We will be on Carnival Magic; water park, ropes course, mini golf, teen club, theater, ....

I advised that I think they will love the cruise experience.

Pride...sailing from Baltimore, 7 night, 3 sea days, 3 ports (GT, HMC and Freeport)

Sunshine...sailing from Port Canaveral, 5 night, 1 sea day, 3 ports (Nassau, HMC and Freeport)

I have never sailed on the Pride nor have I researched her so I have no idea what all she offers. However, based on the itinerary, I would pick that sailing. I sailed with my 20 yr old daughter and her boyfriend, and, they did not like the Bahamas at all. In fact, they have requested that any future cruise planning not include stops there. They LOVED Grand Turk.

We have sailed on the Sunshine and, contrary to some, we loved her. But, keep in mind, just because she has all the extras (ie. rope course, waterworks, sports square, etc), these may not be open all the time. They do close these areas down at times due to winds, etc. They were closed quite a bit while at sea on our sailing.

Also, the Pride sailing is longer, and, that is always a plus for me. Either way, I'm sure your kids will have fun no matter which you choose!

I haven't cruised either ship but with Pride getting updates last year, the longer cruise, and the much better ports then I would choose it. But honestly, any cruise is better than no cruise so I am sure they will be happy no matter what. My then 18 year old active twin daughters' first cruise was on the victory and there wasn't nearly as much to do as the newer ships and they still loved it.

I'm surprising my husband for his 40th birthday next year with a cruise. So, since I can't ask him for opinions I need everyone's advice here :)

We'll be a group of 5 or 6. Me, my husband, our children (ages 23,23 and 16). One of the 23 yr olds might bring his girlfriend too. Our children have never cruised so they can't give me advice on which they would prefer since they don't know what to expect. This trip needs to be budget friendly...since I'm hiding it from my husband and paying for it on my own. Right now, here are my choices:

Both require a hotel the night before. However, we would fly to Port Canaveral (3 hr flight...usually a non-stop from Boston) but drive to Baltimore (8 hour drive).

Both are pretty much exactly the same price after figuring in airfare of around $300 pp round trip, but it's too early obviously to see prices. It's usually right around there though.

So, do we pick a shorter cruise on a ship that can offer the "kids" more or is the Pride alright for them? My husband and I have sailed on the Miracle from NYC before and the ships are almost identical. We liked it, just worried there's not enough to keep the young adults and teenager occupied for 3 sea days. I know they would prefer the Sunshine because they are active and adventurous but like I said before, they wouldn't know any better if they didn't have a fancy sports deck ;)

I know that either option would be great, and I would gladly sail on either ship/itinerary, but I just want to be sure the "kids" enjoy themselves.

What do you think would be our best option?

Since you are asking, I suggest Pride. Your offspring really aren't kids anymore. Even the 16 year old doesn't need the entertainment that a 10 year old needs.

Pride's itinerary is much, much better than Sunshine's. Plus two extra cruise days is great, especially since the prices are close.

Good luck choosing.

With only one sea day they wouldn't even really get much of a chance to use all of the extra things that the sunshine offers so I wouldn't put too much stock in that.

I'm in my late 20's and actually got married on the pride in October. We had a blast. There was always things to do and we never had a problem finding a pool that wasn't crowded so that was a definite bonus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely take the Pride with 2 extra days. No question! :D

I've been on both ships, and actually prefer the Sunshine, but I don't think a 5-day cruise is worth all the cost and hassle of getting to the port and back.

Now that we've got that settled, I can't wait to hear how you're going to surprise DH. What's your plan? Need some ideas? Do you think you can keep it a secret right up until you drive up to -- and first see -- the ship??? :D

Definitely the Pride. Longer itinerary.

We were on her this past summer with the 2.0 upgrades on the GT, HMC, Freeport itinerary. My teen son LOVED the Green Thunder slide (so far only on some Spirit class ships) and standard twister slide, Red Frog Pub, getting non-alcoholic drinks at the Alchemy Bar, and of course the Guys Burgers and Blue Iguana burrito bar. He was never bored and loved the ship.

We've never been on the Sunshine, but I would never choose a 5 day cruise to Nassau, Fpt and HMC over a 7 day cruise to GT, Fpt and HMC... especially if prices were similar! We also enjoyed the unusual luxury of driving to port... easier to bring rum back :).

You don't mention what time of year. I'd say definitely the Pride unless it's in the middle of winter. I can't imagine what the Sunshine has that would be of more entertainment to that age group. Also driving allows for a bit more flexibility.

You don't mention what time of year. I'd say definitely the Pride unless it's in the middle of winter. I can't imagine what the Sunshine has that would be of more entertainment to that age group. Also driving allows for a bit more flexibility.

Both the last week of April

The sunshine does go out of NYC at the end of June, which we would choose in a heartbeat, but it's ridiculously expensive :(

You didn't say when next year you are sailing. If it is in the cold months I would go for the Sunshine, because you are going to lose the warm weather on your 3 sea days on the Pride. If it is a warm weather cruise go for the Pride. Longer time and better ports.

Definitely take the Pride with 2 extra days. No question! :D

I've been on both ships, and actually prefer the Sunshine, but I don't think a 5-day cruise is worth all the cost and hassle of getting to the port and back.

Now that we've got that settled, I can't wait to hear how you're going to surprise DH. What's your plan? Need some ideas? Do you think you can keep it a secret right up until you drive up to -- and first see -- the ship??? :D

MaryEllen, I haven't thought about that yet :) I know I can't keep it a secret until we see the ship because it's an 8 hour drive and I'm sure he'll be just a little curious where he's driving to, lol. But maybe I can think of something. And we won't actually be sailing for a couple weeks after his b-day so I don't think I'll be able to keep it a secret. It's going to be hard enough keeping it a secret for over a year since I'll be depositing in the next couple weeks.

I'm open for suggestions though!

I took my first cruise at about 22. It was a Princess cruise in Europe and I still had an absolute blast. Again Princess probably had way less fun things to do (not to mention a very old average age). Again I had no clue what to expect and am a very go with the flow. My next cruise on a big RCL ship at about 24. Definitely much more to do and maybe more "fun" but didn't see a huge difference (really I just loved our connecting rooms with family and the younger crowd).

My favorite cruise was my last one on Princess and it was definitely not for young people.

One thing about first time cruises is it is really hard to know kinda "how to cruise" until you have a few cruises under your belt. I definitely think the longer cruise. It may take them a bit to warm up to it and figure it out/make friends. It will be better to have a long cruise.

Also with the 16year old. I know my cousin had a lot more fun on our Princess cruise when she was 14 than when she was 17 (until i broke the rules and snuck her into the disco, sure get mad but she was the ONLY person in a group of 20 under 18). Again I am sure this is more of issue with 12 Princess cruises...

Definitely the longer cruise...more stable boat some say, many like this size the best...great passenger/space ratio..plenty of things for your age group..all the beach stuff way better...no air expense, recent enough upgrades...truly think you are getting enough upgrades and better roomy per passenger ship, less snags for meals and crowding....and better ports for all....enjoy..this is very sweet....try to have one nice dinner together in steak house if you can and like that kind of thing..just a nice experience.