Trip Insurance Coverage Question: Yes or No?

Dlanco

Greetings Fellow Cruisers!

Question my wife and I (both 48 years of age in generally good/excellent health) will be traveling on Oasis of the Seas this coming October 1. We will be staying in a Grand Suite and have almost $5000 invested in this trip (cruise, flight etc).

Anyone have thoughts on "trip insurance" coverage through RCCL (they are quoting almost $338 for the coverage plan. Or do you recommend shopping for an alternative insurance coverage plan via the internet through sites such as insuremytrip.com (who provides coverage via reputable carriers (AIG, AXA, Allianz) or direct via a trip insurance coverage carrier? I'm seeing several competitive plans with rates much lower then what RCCL offers on their booking site. Any recommended alternative carriers or insurance coverage booking sites that you recommend?

Any thoughts?

Royal's trip insurance is not based on age, so it may be less expensive as one gets older. Royal's insurance also give you a 75% time limited credit if you cancel for a non-covered reason.

However, Royal's insurance does not cover independently booked air. It also has less emergency evacuation coverage than I'm comfortable with. So we usually buy third party insurance.

Thoughts....

• if they give you a quote.... ask them for a second quote with the HIGHEST deductible. If you don't plan to use the insurance for trivial stuff.... there's significant savings!
  • do you leave the country often? Check out an "annual plan". It may not be much more than one you are paying for a single trip.

We go with a third party company after comparing prices, usually much less than Royal. Some credit card benefit programs provide some insurance as well, but the fine print is a stinker to decipher. Agree with a previous poster about wanting to be comfortable with the amount of emergency evacuation coverage - medical transportation costs can easily run into the tens of thousands. The risk is remote, but I had a client whose wife was seriously injured in an accident in the Caribbean back in the '80s. Getting her home was a very expensive chapter in an ongoing nightmare for that family.

Agree with what Bob said about RCI coverage. Their insurance is reasonable, but basic, and unless you bought your air through Air2Sea, it's not covered.

Trip Insurance Store has a great website with answers to lots of Travel Insurance questions and offers a way to compare plans.

https://tripinsurancestore.com/

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise

I would decide on what the most likely event to occur that would cause you to cancel. For example, health of family members, flying to cruise the day of departure, work related issues, etc. then I would look at both RCCL's policy for the "75% Cancel for any reason," and third party policies. Let me give you my best example. A few years ago we cruised with my son and daughter-in-law. He is a Navy Pilot. His Air Wing was "on the bubble" for immediate deployment due to events in Syria. We found a policy that would allow all of us to cancel if his leave was cancelled. So, since that was our most immediate concern, it was the best policy for us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by papaflamingo

Agree with what Bob said about RCI coverage. Their insurance is reasonable, but basic, and unless you bought your air through Air2Sea, it's not covered.

Trip Insurance Store has a great website with answers to lots of Travel Insurance questions and offers a way to compare plans.

https://tripinsurancestore.com/

Another good source is http://www.insuremytrip.com

Cancellation insurance is really how much you can afford to lose. If $5k isn't a big budget buster than you may be fine with no ins. Otherwise the site you have on your post is where we go to compare. For us, $5k is a large amt and we would get a comprehensive policy. Our two upcoming cruises have comprehensive policies covering cancellation issues, medical and evacuation. They were around $300 for two per cruise. Money well spent.

One item not mentioned here and that may because the young and fit don't thing it's needed would be medical and evacuation ins. The younger you are the cheaper it is. Our son bought this type of ins for his 10 day European trip two years ago and I think his cost was less that $60 for a million dollar coverage policy.

While most will never use it (hopefully) it can be a financial backbreaker if you don't have it depending on where you are going to. Realize full well that if you were to go out on an excursion and come back injured you may not be allowed back on the ship. So plan accordingly.

Dan

We are from the UK and our insurance policies are different and seem to give better cover.

I have just renewed my annual policy for myself and my wife. We are both over 80 and I have two medical conditions which I have declared. The cover is world wide excluding Syria and othe Middle East countries.

Cost is £382 for both of us. There is a tax of £76 on top of this but it is still good value.

I look at it this way. You are willing to pay $5000 for a vacation so why not pay $300+ to protect the trip & your health if necessary.

I always buy trip insurance from Seven Corners & hope I do not need to use it. However, I am covered if I do need it.

Edited by jcg4550

We compromised on the whole insurance question. The trick is to avoid catastrophic loss so we bought an annual policy, covering all overseas trips from Lloyds of London. It pays for evacuation and treatment in case of medical problems. This can often cost up to $100,000. Total cost was about $250 for the year. I know this does not cover the majority of things that can go wrong (weather, etc.) but at least brings peace of mind.