Souvenir/Jewelry Shopping Advice: Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway?

3Fluffies

For the first time, I'm trying to get some tips ahead of my trip for stores/vendors in excursion locations that are good for purchasing little gifts and memories.

My criteria: something locally made (crafts or jewelry), small enough to go into my luggage, and relatively inexpensive ($100 or under).

I love small pendants - they don't need to be gem-studded, costume jewelry is sufficient. I came home from Bermuda with a silver Bermuda longtail bird that I wear to work, and from Capri with a rose gold amulet etched with the Faraglioni. For family gifts, I bought some small wood inlay and painted tiles in Sorrento, and coral jewelry, and beautifully painted Christmas ornaments in Bermuda.

Has anyone who has been in Ketchikan, Juneau, and/or Skagway come across a particular shop or artisan whose work they really admired?

To make sure you get a quality product and not some junk made somewhere else, there's a couple of things to look for:

https://education.alaska.gov/aksca/native.html

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...ska-native-art

https://www.commerce.alaska.gov/web/...eInAlaska.aspx

If it doesn't have a "Made in Alaska" or "Silver Hand" logo, then I wouldn't buy it.

Have you heard about Diamonds International charm bracelet? Collect charms on the ships shopping tutorials and also at the ports! It's like Treasure hunting while in Alaska?

diamondsi.jpg

Ugh!

They don't sell local jewelry.

If you want something locally made those jewelry stores that you see in Alaska but also throughout the caribbean should be avoided in my humble opinion.

Keith

There is native Alaskan Jade available in the stores. I purchased a string of jade with holes drilled in it for jewelry making. I also purchased some inexpensive jade jewelry.

There is also a soap maker in Juneau that makes soap using glacier silt. She has the patent on it. It's called Glacier Smoothie Soap. Very inexpensive and unique.

My favorite this is an Ulu knife. It has a handle like a suitcase and a curved blade. I love it and use it all the time. I can filet a chicken breast with no problem. It was a cheap one but it's great!

I've got a stunning silver, cuff type bracelet made by D Chilton. Native Alaskan. Google it. I have the Killer Whale bracelet. It it more than your budget but I'd forgo a whole lot of trinkets for one really nice one. I bought mine in Anchorage but they may be available other places.

Where would be a good place to get an Alaskan-made ulu and what is a reasonable price for one? I was hoping to buy an ulu or 2 on our trip this spring. They're handy knives for food processing. We'll be in Juneau, Skagway, and Ketchikan.

http://www.alaskamade.com It shows the symbol for items that are made in Alaska. White bear with small black bear. The ulus are sold most any place. I bought 3 - one is is very fancy carved bone with the handle in the shape of a fish. It was 10 yrs ago so I'm sorry but I don't recall where it was purchased.

Where would be a good place to get an Alaskan-made ulu and what is a reasonable price for one? I was hoping to buy an ulu or 2 on our trip this spring. They're handy knives for food processing. We'll be in Juneau, Skagway, and Ketchikan.

Same advice as a I gave above... Make sure to get one made in Alaska. Look for the "Made in Alaska" logo.

I would expect around $20 for a basic one. They can go much, much higher.

We found Creek Street in Ketchikan to be the best place for local artisan stuff. We bought our son a beautiful onyx and bone knife for well under $100. We also found some nice gold jewellery for our daughter. I don't remember the name of the store, but a lot of the stores on Creek Street seemed to be run by locals. We went to Ketchikandies and bought some interesting chocolates to bring home.

On our first trip to Alaska we brought back gift sets from Glacier Silt Smoothie. This is a tiny wee shop but it is packed with stuff. The gift sets were under $25 for a soap, lotion and lip balm, I believe. You can see all their stuff on their website. The second time we were there I just stocked up on tons of soap for myself because I loved it so much. :)

Can you only get the soap in Juneau or do they sell it in other stores, perhaps in Skagway? Not sure we'll have shopping time in Juneau.

Unless you are at the far docking site or tendered, the shop is not far away (near the library) from your pier. The shop is a mom & pop operation and their only location is on the dock in Juneau. Glacier Smoothie is a small log cabin about the size of my bedroom. Their scented soap collection, sold in scent-coded drawstring bags, is my favorite souvenir from Alaska for friends. They will also mail to your home if you don't want to take the soap with you.

The owner is a minister and loves to talk with each customer.

http://www.glaciersmoothie.com/

Can you only get the soap in Juneau or do they sell it in other stores, perhaps in Skagway? Not sure we'll have shopping time in Juneau.

I think her only store is in Juneau. She does have a website that you can order from. I think it is glacierSmoothie.com

Oops, missed the reply before mine above.

Edited by Melozone

• 2 weeks later...
Have you heard about Diamonds International charm bracelet? Collect charms on the ships shopping tutorials and also at the ports! It's like Treasure hunting while in Alaska?

diamondsi.jpg

Diamonds International just sells stuff that is made everywhere but in the country your are visiting. What is the point of an AK souvenir made in Vietnam or some other place in Asia. Find a place that is owned by and sells that the stuff is made in AK and has the documentation to prove it and especially by Alaskan indigenous peoples and buy it there. Then you can say that what you bought represents Alaska and not an Asian country.

DON

I picked up some small prints that are Native Alaskan and quite lovely. I had them framed when I got home...actually it cost more to frame them than the prints themselves. There is also a nice Christmas store in Ketchikan that has quite a variety of Alaskan items.

For the first time, I'm trying to get some tips ahead of my trip for stores/vendors in excursion locations that are good for purchasing little gifts and memories.

My criteria: something locally made (crafts or jewelry), small enough to go into my luggage, and relatively inexpensive ($100 or under).

I love small pendants - they don't need to be gem-studded, costume jewelry is sufficient. I came home from Bermuda with a silver Bermuda longtail bird that I wear to work, and from Capri with a rose gold amulet etched with the Faraglioni. For family gifts, I bought some small wood inlay and painted tiles in Sorrento, and coral jewelry, and beautifully painted Christmas ornaments in Bermuda.

Has anyone who has been in Ketchikan, Juneau, and/or Skagway come across a particular shop or artisan whose work they really admired?

In Skagway, check out A Fine Line, haven't been there for 2 years, but it was always my go to place for locally made jewelry and reasonable prices. Hopefully it's still there and the quality is still high :)

In Ketchikan, I always go to the Rain Barrel for jewelry, locally owned, nice selection.

• 3 months later...
Diamonds International just sells stuff that is made everywhere but in the country your are visiting. What is the point of an AK souvenir made in Vietnam or some other place in Asia. Find a place that is owned by and sells that the stuff is made in AK and has the documentation to prove it and especially by Alaskan indigenous peoples and buy it there. Then you can say that what you bought represents Alaska and not an Asian country.

DON

People know these are costume grade, but they re Free, add to someone's collection they may have started on another cruise. So no harm.

Just my opinion. I may acquire a charm like this, but already making a list of Alaskan made, native made items that stores known to carry-

Not sailing until July but will be prepared with list in hand.

Tomorrow I can hope to post some of my list. Definitely when return from cruise.

I've returned from my trip!

My jewelry souvenir was a set of earrings and pendant from Fish Creek Company in Ketchikan, mammoth ivory carved into the shape of dogwood blossoms.

http://fishcreekalaska.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=162_17_104&products_id=2936

http://fishcreekalaska.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=162_17_227&products_id=2958

At other shops, I also got a couple of cheaper pairs of earrings, just the "gold flake motif" on black and gold plate and a pair of the "Northern Lights" glass that is sold everywhere. Nothing terribly fancy, but all made in Alaska that reminds me of Alaska, and pretty.

I've worn all three sets to work since I've been back (I wear suits at the office) and got a lot of compliments on them.

Fish Creek Co is a great store, full of all kinds of interesting Alaska-themed and/or Alaska-made crafts. Their staff were very helpful (and patient with me waffling over what I wanted) explaining the materials used.

diamondsi.jpg

This was what the OP requested - "My criteria: something locally made (crafts or jewelry". Somehow I do not think that DI stuff meets the OPs request.

DON

• 3 weeks later...
I've returned from my trip!

My jewelry souvenir was a set of earrings and pendant from Fish Creek Company in Ketchikan, mammoth ivory carved into the shape of dogwood blossoms.

http://fishcreekalaska.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=162_17_104&products_id=2936

http://fishcreekalaska.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=162_17_227&products_id=2958

At other shops, I also got a couple of cheaper pairs of earrings, just the "gold flake motif" on black and gold plate and a pair of the "Northern Lights" glass that is sold everywhere. Nothing terribly fancy, but all made in Alaska that reminds me of Alaska, and pretty.

I've worn all three sets to work since I've been back (I wear suits at the office) and got a lot of compliments on them.

Fish Creek Co is a great store, full of all kinds of interesting Alaska-themed and/or Alaska-made crafts. Their staff were very helpful (and patient with me waffling over what I wanted) explaining the materials used.

I didn't think ivory was allowed in the US. No problems traveling with that?