Review: A Somewhat Disenchanting Three Days on Enchantment Feb. 12-15

jpm1973

Scott, I'm a little late to the parade but I want to thank you for your thorough review. I especially like your perspective of two partners traveling together. I'm surprising my husband with a 40th anniversary cruise (yes, we're ancient) next year on the Enchantment. By then we will have been married almost 9 years (it became legal in California in 2008) but together 40.

Looking forward to any future reviews you might post!

All the best to you and yours!

Thanks for reading and congrats on 40 years! That's awesome :-)

Actually just off my first solo cruise and hope to start that review soon. It was on Carnival so keep an eye on that board if you want to read.

• 4 months later...
Other than this tender ride we really did enjoy the cruise. Will has always been on the fence about cruising so this just nudged him a bit more to the "I don't want to cruise" side. I'm still all for it, though I may have to find someone else to go with until Will agrees to try it again!

I might be a tad bit late in reading this review, but I enjoyed it none-the-less. I was on EN in 2011 and this brought back some nice memories. THANKS!

As for the "one person loves cruising, the other not as much" dispute .... that's my wife and I to a lesser degree. Me - I can hop on a cruise ship any time, as often as possible. My wife enjoys it, but she can think of other vacations she'd rather do. One happy consolation we found that satisfies us both is the All-Inclusive resorts. If you've never tried that, you may want to look into it. RIU has some incredible resorts - especially the ones in Cabo San Lucas!

So there you have it, I've finally revealed the disenchanting part of this cruise. I imagine that after all that build up and waiting it's a bit of a let down, but I assure you the experience was much more frightening at the time than the retelling of it might sound.

After this experience Will has said it will be a long time before I can get him on another cruise (likely 2017) and never again will he go anywhere involving a tender. Can't say I blame him on that one. :)

That's it for tonight; I'll be back tomorrow to wrap up day 3 and finish this all up. Thanks for sticking with me!

Yes, actually it was.. Unfortunately it happens often at this port.. Been there, done that..

I might be a tad bit late in reading this review, but I enjoyed it none-the-less. I was on EN in 2011 and this brought back some nice memories. THANKS!

As for the "one person loves cruising, the other not as much" dispute .... that's my wife and I to a lesser degree. Me - I can hop on a cruise ship any time, as often as possible. My wife enjoys it, but she can think of other vacations she'd rather do. One happy consolation we found that satisfies us both is the All-Inclusive resorts. If you've never tried that, you may want to look into it. RIU has some incredible resorts - especially the ones in Cabo San Lucas!

Thanks for reading! We've not done an all-inclusive but have taken plenty of land trips (or air I guess) to St Maarten and Aruba. But Will actually found a cruise next spring he was interested in so we are booked again! No tender ports on this one or sea days so it's perfect for him. Here's hoping for good weather!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Our waiters for this cruise were Dondon from the Philippines and Roshan from India. Dondon was very outgoing while Roshan was a bit quieter, but together they made a great team. Service was always quick and we were in and out in about an hour each night.

If you don't mind me asking, was Dondon this fellow (only without the turkey-shape hat)?

https://iwwcdn.s3.amazonaws.com/carney/dondon.jpg

He was a friendly waiter (his name is Dondon Villagomez) and he really took a shine to out kids on an Enchantment cruise back in 2011. I'd love to again sail on a ship he's on. Thank you.

post-74-0-75094100-1390954604.jpg.0b50f6e8f829300fd2699fff4fe023ee.jpg

Edited by bcarney

We had requested the beds to be together like we always do. When we got to the cabin they were apart. Figured no big deal, when we see the steward we would ask for them to be put together. When he knocked on the door later to introduce himself I asked him to put the beds together. He gave me a weird look, pulled a piece of paper out of his pocket, and then said: But you are 2 men. I said yes, but that shouldn't matter. he then did a little head jerk and said huh,,, ok. It was very obvious by his responses that he had a problem with it.

Just a big WOW and *** to that? oh, and a "sigh"

If you don't mind me asking, was Dondon this fellow (only without the turkey-shape hat)?

https://iwwcdn.s3.amazonaws.com/carney/dondon.jpg

He was a friendly waiter (his name is Dondon Villagomez) and he really took a shine to out kids on an Enchantment cruise back in 2011. I'd love to again sail on a ship he's on. Thank you.

Yes that was him!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 1 month later...

Just now reading your review as we have a cruise scheduled for Enchantment in December. We have been on the Enchantment twice, but never in December. We anticipate that it may not be possible to make the stop in CocoCay, which we love. We had a similar experience with the tenders on a Hawaii cruise aboard Legend of the Seas MANY years ago. We were tendering LATE at night in Maui, where the ship stayed overnight. At around midnight, our tender made it to the ship after a VERY rough ride, but the gangway was bobbing and the crew were practically picking up each passenger and setting/tossing them inside the ship. One of the crew got his leg injured. I'm sure every member of the crew that participated in getting everyone back onto the ship must have had back injuries the next day. This was during our first few years of cruising and we were a bit naive because we were pretty much unfazed. During our cruise from Hawaii back to Ensenada, the sea was so rough and the winds so bad they had to close the pool deck doors and the pools were closed. They had waves in the pool splashing out onto the deck. At that time, the TV's weren't mounted on the cabin wall. They were on a sort of shelf that would pull out or push back in flush with the wall. During the night, the drawers of the desk, as well as the TV kept rolling out, then SLAMMING into the wall. We didn't even get up to see how bad it was. The next morning, we saw all the barf bags in the hallways. I guess we might take things a bit too much in stride and should have been a bit more concerned...lol.

Thank you for the great review! Glad you had a good time overall; guess that's the important thing. I'm pretty adventurous and fearless, but think I would have been quite concerned about the tender back from Coco Cay. The video was quite telling. I am so glad you and everyone is safe, but it does remind me that things can go wrong, and I should take nothing for granted. May you live long and sail often, in good health!