Review: A Somewhat Disenchanting Three Days on Enchantment Feb. 12-15

jpm1973

If you swear off tenders you'll miss:

Belize

Grand Cayman

Cozumel (depending how many ships are in port)

and I'm sure many more.

I have been on those tenders during those rocky times, the best thing is to just get back on one!

Laurie

Add:

Nanaimo

Cabo San Lucas

I’ll be heading out solo on Carnival Fascination in April as it repositions from Jacksonville to San Juan. After that nothing else planned, though my sister and I hope to take our mom on a cruise in October to celebrate her 70th birthday. Thanks for reading!

Thanks for taking the time to post such a great review.

Laurie

Belize

Grand Cayman

and I'm sure many more.

I have been on those tenders during those rocky times, the best thing is to just get back on one!

Laurie

Add:

Nanaimo

Cabo San Lucas

Santa Barbara

Monterey

Catalina Island

Kailua Kona

Lahaina, Maui

Santorini Greece

Monaco

:)

Belize

Grand Cayman

and I'm sure many more.

Laurie

Oh I know and I'll have no problem tendering again. Will won't however so when we cruise again we'll just stick to ports without tenders. Plenty of those we haven't seen yet!

Great review, I see you have mostly sailed on carnival which do you enjoy more and why?

To me RCI and Carnival are more similar than different. Can't say I prefer one over the other; I've enjoyed my cruises on both.

On all our past cruises together Will and I have stayed in suites of some sort. On Oasis we had one of the awesome aft suites overlooking the Aqua Theater. This would be Will’s first stay in a regular balcony so I was curious on how he’d find the space. He said while he much preferred our room on Oasis (who wouldn’t), the balcony room didn’t feel too cramped. To open up the space a bit we moved one of the nightstands between the desk and the balcony window and then moved the larger coffee table between the bed and the couch. Gave us a little more floor space for moving around.

I had ordered some champagne (technically sparkling wine since it was from Washington state) for me and cupcakes for Will, which were both waiting for us in our room. We also met our steward, Kadek, who did an excellent job throughout the cruise.

Since my bag hadn’t arrived yet we decided to wander around the ship a bit and check everything out. The next few posts will be some pictures from around the ship.

Excellent review so far... I'm late to the party but will catch up. Leave it to the gay guys to redecorate the room in a more efficient manner. My partner and I didn't get that gene so I'll make note of what you did incase we end up in one of those rooms... ;) Great pictures...

We were on the same cruise. Interested to see what issue you encountered. We had a major issue on day 1 that required a chat with management regarding some of their staff needing diversity training and changing our steward.

Pardon me if already asked. Staff needed diversity training regarding same sex relationships? We've been on several cruises and not been subjected to that yet...

We had requested the beds to be together like we always do. When we got to the cabin they were apart. Figured no big deal, when we see the steward we would ask for them to be put together.

Somewhat funny story. A group of friends went on a 40th birthday cruise to celebrate several 40th birthdays and I shared a cabin with a female friend... They, of course, had the beds together and on the first day we asked for them to be separated. The steward got a very concerned look on his face and asked "is everything okay"? Poor guy thought we had gotten into a fight before the cruise even started...

My husband is a non-swimmer, so it's amazing I can get him on a cruise ship at all...

Ann

Even for people who can swim, if you have to utilize that skill as a result of an unplanned incident on a cruise ship, chances are it won't matter that you can swim ;)

I’ll be heading out solo on Carnival Fascination in April as it repositions from Jacksonville to San Juan.

"Solo" as in by yourself? I'll be interested in reading this review... sailing solo is somewhat appealing to me but don't tell my partner I said that!

Awesome review, Scott. I had great fun reading it and I LOVE your pictures. They are fabulous! Glad no one got hurt during the tender incident. Pretty sure it must have been scary. And thanks for your Coco Cay pictures. It brought back so many good memories. I love Coco Cay, minus the waves and wind you encountered.

Cindy

To me RCI and Carnival are more similar than different. Can't say I prefer one over the other; I've enjoyed my cruises on both.

Not allowed. Don't you know you are supposed to be steadfastly in favor of one and opposed to the other? lol

P.S. In your pictures, who are each of you?

"Solo" as in by yourself? I'll be interested in reading this review... sailing solo is somewhat appealing to me but don't tell my partner I said that!

Yep by myself. Kinda interested to see how that goes, too!

Not allowed. Don't you know you are supposed to be steadfastly in favor of one and opposed to the other? lol

P.S. In your pictures, who are each of you?

I'm the one with darker hair and the beard.

Edited by jpm1973

• 1 month later...

Thanks for this really great review, I loved it! I felt like your voice really came through. It was well thought-out and balanced, with great visuals.

We're booked for August and it'll be interesting to see if we make it to CocoCay or not. This is my daughter's first cruise and I'm hoping she gets to do it all.

Thanks again, this was fun!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for a great review and your pictures are awesome!!

We are thinking about booking a 3 night out of Miami on the Enchantment in July. Hopefully we have as much fun as you did minus the crazy tender.

We are looking at doing the Hilton day pass in Nassau. Have you done this before? We are just looking for a fun beach day where we can eat a bit and drink a bit more. Would this make sense or should we just walk to Junkanoo and find a bar/restaurant to hang out?

Thanks again for your great review.

Thanks for a great review and your pictures are awesome!!

We are thinking about booking a 3 night out of Miami on the Enchantment in July. Hopefully we have as much fun as you did minus the crazy tender.

We are looking at doing the Hilton day pass in Nassau. Have you done this before? We are just looking for a fun beach day where we can eat a bit and drink a bit more. Would this make sense or should we just walk to Junkanoo and find a bar/restaurant to hang out?

Thanks again for your great review.

Thanks for reading!

I've not done the Hilton day pass but have heard good reviews from those who have. We considered it but with our arrival at noon it didn't make much sense. Junkanoo is a nice beach and there are several small bars/restaurants right there so that would be a cheaper option. Either way you can't go wrong! Enjoy your cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

Scott, I'm a little late to the parade but I want to thank you for your thorough review. I especially like your perspective of two partners traveling together. I'm surprising my husband with a 40th anniversary cruise (yes, we're ancient) next year on the Enchantment. By then we will have been married almost 9 years (it became legal in California in 2008) but together 40.

Looking forward to any future reviews you might post!

All the best to you and yours!