Island first cruise on her WONDERFUL

azgrandmax3

After reading many pros & cons about the Island Princess since her redo, we were concerned. It was wonderful. We are not new to Princess ships. Travelled on many (18 cruises). No other ship has had such a great crew, cabin was better then most, service and spirit of all crew outstanding. "On the Bayou the best show Princess offers. I would not hesitate to cruise on the Island Princess anywhere. First time ever at the M&G officer offered to accommodate private tour groups help to early disembark for private tours.

Thanks for posting such positive comments! We've been booked on Island to Alaska in May since before before her infamous dry dock & we too have been a little concerned after reading some of the recent reviews. I can't wait & I have no doubt our cruise will be just as wonderful as you guys!!!

After reading many pros & cons about the Island Princess since her redo, we were concerned. It was wonderful. We are not new to Princess ships. Travelled on many (18 cruises). No other ship has had such a great crew, cabin was better then most, service and spirit of all crew outstanding. "On the Bayou the best show Princess offers. I would not hesitate to cruise on the Island Princess anywhere. First time ever at the M&G officer offered to accommodate private tour groups help to early disembark for private tours.

Thanks for sharing your good experiences. :)

Even though we're not happy about the Island's changes, it's not like it's the USS Rust Bucket and there isn't any cruise ship that is perfect for everyone. ;)

Sounds great! Did CD Richard Joseph come to your M&G?

Yes Richard is still the "main guy". He is great at his job. We were sorry to hear when he explained his new "officer type" position. He will be wearing the uniform and "monkey bars" as he refers to it. Will be handling all the business end of his job as a new position has been made on Princess for a person doing the other 1/2 of what he does now.

Did either of you folks use anytime dining? I'd be interested in your experience if you did. Thanks!

Yes we did do Anytime Dining. The first evening was a Zoo. By the second day of our 15 day cruise it all fell into place. A third show was added in the Princess Theatre and that helped a lot. When important timing for certain events we made reservations, never had to wait.

Yes Richard is still the "main guy". He is great at his job. We were sorry to hear when he explained his new "officer type" position. He will be wearing the uniform and "monkey bars" as he refers to it. Will be handling all the business end of his job as a new position has been made on Princess for a person doing the other 1/2 of what he does now.

That's a big loss for passengers to no longer have Richard as the face of the Cruise Director. I read that another great CD Sam (Hawker-Thomas) Bockar has also been moved into the CD office also. :(

Yes we did do Anytime Dining. The first evening was a Zoo. By the second day of our 15 day cruise it all fell into place. A third show was added in the Princess Theatre and that helped a lot. When important timing for certain events we made reservations, never had to wait.

Thanks so much for this info! Think we may just plan something other than the MD for the first night. Glad to know they've added a third show & that it's helped a lot! We're on her in May and can't wait!!

So happy to hear a positive review of the Island. We are new to Princess and going to Alaska the first week of June.

I do think a trip is a lot of what you make it. It's vacation afterall and sometimes you need to just go with the flow when things are not "perfect".

We have chosen ATD and are looking forward to not always having dinner on a schedule. We will be doing some specality dining and of course that will be scheduled.

Thank you all for the helpful and happy comments!

We can't wait to see Alaska!

Can you make Anytime reservations before the cruise starts? If not, how do the reservations work?

Thanks!

Can you make Anytime reservations before the cruise starts? If not, how do the reservations work?

Thanks!

Only on board and policy varies by ship. Usually only for times before 6:00 or after 7:30. Usually need to call each morning. They will typically hold the reservation for only 10-15 minutes if you are late. Edited by IECalCruiser

We are just off the Island's PC full transit and we were ATD.

We found that our schedule of going to the 6.30 or 9.45 show and eating dinner at 8-ish worked well and we never had to wait in line. We did see long lines forming for the 8 o'clock show as we left the theater at around 7.15. I'm not sure whether there were queues for early ATD as we were never around to see.

We had a lovely cruise and really enjoyed the entertainment. We thought Richard and his team did a great job and Richard brought about 8-10 of the officers/crew to our M&G.

Beth

Hope that helps.

We found that our schedule of going to the 6.30 or 9.45 show and eating dinner at 8-ish worked well and we never had to wait in line. We did see long lines forming for the 8 o'clock show as we left the theater at around 7.15. I'm not sure whether there were queues for early ATD as we were never around to see.

We had a lovely cruise and really enjoyed the entertainment. We thought Richard and his team did a great job and Richard brought about 8-10 of the officers/crew to our M&G.

Beth

Hope that helps.

Boy, it sure does, Beth...thanks so much for the info!! So, there are 3 shows?

Beth

Hope that helps.

Although I am sure things vary from sailing to sailing, this helps a lot. Thank you for your thoughtful response.

Thank you IECalCruiser for your information as well.

Jawhoffman, It is the same show repeated three times a night most nights. Occasionally it was just twice - I think they sometimes skipped the 6.30 performance when we were in port in the afternoon. On the final night the show was at 6.30 and 8pm and the later show was a staff talent show - they were very good and it was well worth seeing.

Beth

I'm really curious about the 3 show times. Traditionally shows have been on an early and late schedule, correct? I'm wondering if Princess management has been listening to the complaints about long lines at the theater since dry dock and have added a third show to alleviate the situation. If so, kudos to Princess for listening and responding to their passengers!