Royal WI FI Experiences

kjg46

The Royal being one of the newer ships in the princess fleet. I was wondering what Folks experience is with the WI Fi internet connections. (specifically aft cabins) On prior ships Crown & Caribbean, I had to prop the cabin door open or sit in the hall to get access to the internet.

The Royal being one of the newer ships in the princess fleet. I was wondering what Folks experience is with the WI Fi internet connections. (specifically aft cabins) On prior ships Crown & Caribbean, I had to prop the cabin door open or sit in the hall to get access to the internet.

Princess ships are pretty much all the same in the wi fi dept.

We sailed the Regal and we left our 250 minutes each on the table it was so bad. I gave up.

Just back from 20 days on the Royal. WIFI worked well. Much slower than land based systems. Subject to the vagaries of the satellite signal. If you're patient, it should meet your basic needs of keeping in touch.

Has anyone experienced a non-Windows based computer/laptop on Princess? Is it any quicker NOT downloading those updates?

Just purchased a Chrome notebook and wonder if it might be quicker?

On past cruises, I noticed it helped when I programmed my email not to download images. Any other tips?

Has anyone experienced a non-Windows based computer/laptop on Princess? Is it any quicker NOT downloading those updates?

Just purchased a Chrome notebook and wonder if it might be quicker?

On past cruises, I noticed it helped when I programmed my email not to download images. Any other tips?

No its still slow regardless.

The bandwidth will be the same regardless of the computer or device you're using.

We disembarked the Royal on February 15th after 27 days. Our cabin was in the low 600s on Riviera deck and we had very good Wi-Fi / Internet...even on the balcony.

PNG%20Sig_zps9bcbhaj9.png

I was on the Royal Princess in Jan. It was great all over the ship even in the inside cabins. My friend used my i-pad pro in his inside cabin to talk to his kids on FaceTime.

Tony

I have not had any luck connecting to wifi from the Plaza deck (same deck that the internet café has been on). Multiple cruises, Star, Grand, etc. I have not sailed on Royal or Regal yet. So my experience does not cover those ships.

The best reception has been in the atrium and it was just easier to go to the internet café to do what we needed, still slow from there. I am grateful I am not one of those people who has work requirements to have to be on line and check in because it would stress me out to deal with Princess standard Wifi connections.

I am also secretly happy that I can break away from the real world while on vacation and not be connected to my email. My previous job was not so lucky.

I was on the Regal earlier this month in a forward cabin on the riviera deck. I had not problem connecting to he WiFi. However I did connect late in the evening when many pax are either in bed or down in the several venues. The WiFi is slow because you are on a ship with 3000+ pax all with WiFi devices and the connection is over satellite from a moving vessel. It never is going to be as fast as even the slowest connection on land.

I was on the Caribbean last October in a stern cabin near the stern elevator bank and did not have any problems connecting or using the WiFi but again only late at night.

If you're using an iPhone or iPad, the Chrome app works MUCH better to access the Internet than Safari or I.E. There's a big difference. Chrome connects faster and the WiFi signal is more reliable.

The metal doors in Princess cabins provide a great sound barrier... much better than on non-Princess ships I've been on... but the downside is that they tend to block the WiFi signal. I open the cabin door, connect via Chrome and then close the door. Best times are before 7:30pm and between 6-9pm.

If you're using an iPhone or iPad, the Chrome app works MUCH better to access the Internet than Safari or I.E. There's a big difference. Chrome connects faster and the WiFi signal is more reliable.

The metal doors in Princess cabins provide a great sound barrier... much better than on non-Princess ships I've been on... but the downside is that they tend to block the WiFi signal. I open the cabin door, connect via Chrome and then close the door. Best times are before 7:30pm and between 6-9pm.

Hi Pam,

You must be right. I used my new I-Pad Pro and it worked great all over the ship anytime of the day and night. I walk all over to let my granddaughter see the ship useing Face Time she loved the Royal Princess.

Tony