Speciality Dining Package Question/Package Promo question

mengel246

Hello!

We got a speciality dining package promo and I can't tell if it's worth it.

I thought we'd be able to eat at any of the restaurants and it would be free, no speciality menu. I found out today that we can go to any of the restaurants, but they have a separate menu offering than the a la carte type, general menu.

For instance, at the Brazilian steakhouse, would my husband be able to get the red card/green card thing or would it be a different offering because he has that speciality dining promo?

Is the drinking or excursion promotions a better option? Is it even possible to change?

Hello!

I thought we'd be able to eat at any of the restaurants and it would be free, no speciality menu. I found out today that we can go to any of the restaurants, but they have a separate menu offering than the a la carte type, general menu.

For instance, at the Brazilian steakhouse, would my husband be able to get the red card/green card thing or would it be a different offering because he has that speciality dining promo?

Is the drinking or excursion promotions a better option? Is it even possible to change?

I think there's some confusion here regarding the menus.

Let's start at the beginning - You have the specialty dining package (SPD) for 3 or 4 specialty restaurants. You can dine at 3/4 venues for free 3/4 meals. The fact that some are now ala carte is irrelevant in your case since you have the package.

Moderno, the Brazilian steakhouse is not part of the ala carte venues anyway so it's still included and yes, it's free for you. As far as the red/green card goes in Modernos, that's all part of the service ie: green card means, "I want more, keep it coming" where as the red card means: "Stop, I have enough for now and will turn my card to green when I'm ready for more".

You'll be fine if you enjoy dining at different types of restaurants... relax, ask questions, someone will answer.

Just an aside regarding other dining venues, Teppanyaki is not ala carte but is entertaining and fun if you like watching you meal being cooked in front of you and is included as an option of your SDP.

Cheers

Hello!

You order off the same menu. There are not separate menses for SDP guests. There are a few specialty restaurants and dinner show that have an additional upcharge (as well as a few restaurants not included in the SDP) as discussed on the following FAQ page https://www.ncl.com/specialty-dining-package/faq

If you drink at least couple of alcoholic drinks a day (like two glasses of wine and a cordial with dinner), the drink package has the best value IMO. NCL has risen bar prices three times last year so paying as you go isn't that affordable anymore.

Excursion promo is a hogwash IMO, current offering is $50 per cabin per port and it's use it or lose it, and you can't save/combine it to use it all in one port where it could matter (in pretty much every port you can do a lot better money wise by not booking excursions through the cruise line).

Usually you can change the chosen promo item within the choices you had when booking (not the ones available now) even after final payment as long as you don't do other changes - for example if you booked oceanview or better, you can't get the current "choose 2" promo now if that wasn't offered back when you booked.

• 2 weeks later...

When They said "FREE" I immediately thought you are able to dine at any "Specialty Restaurant for FREE.

Guest is responsible for 18% gratuities & service charges on the retail value of the Specialty Dining Package prior to cruise, except when booking a Haven or Suite.

This I understand completely.

What I don't understand is What Restaurant can I go to without additional fees????

Very Confused!!!!!

Packages are based on a per meal basis.

Food Republic, Carlo's Bake Shop items, The Bake Shop, Ice Cream Bar, Gelato, specialty items in the Asian restaurant, Chef's Table, Special Occasion/Holiday menus (New Year's, Christmas, etc.), Jazz Brunch, Wine Lovers and Murder Mystery lunches, and beverages are not included as part of the Specialty Dining Packages.

You may choose to dine in the following venues as part of your Specialty Dining Package for the corresponding upcharges:

The Supper Club ($15),

For the Record ($15),

Ocean Blue ($15),

Bayamo ($15),

Cirque Dreams and Illusionarium ($10 regular seats/$15 premium seats/$35 VIP seating on Breakaway),

Sushi Bar ($7),

Pincho Tapas Bar ($7),

and Raw Bar ($7). Specialty

Dining Packages include one main course per person at Cagney's and Le Bistro restaurants.

Additional main courses will be charged at $10.00. :cool:

There is no minimum or maximum to the number of meals that can be redeemed in a day, however each meal is counted towards the package.

What Specialty Dining Room can I enjoy the FREE Specialty Dining Package on the Breakaway?

What Specialty Dining Room can I enjoy the FREE Specialty Dining Package on the Breakaway?[/font]

[/size]

Even though your post is in bold and red, as if you are screaming at me, I'll still be nice and answer.

For no additional charge you can eat at Cagney's, Le Bistro, La Cucina, Teppanyaki, and Moderno with your SDP. Enjoy. I hope you don't stroke out.

Edited by LrgPizza

Even though your post is in bold and red, as if you are screaming at me, I'll still be nice and answer.

For no additional charge you can eat at Cagney's, Le Bistro, La Cucina, Teppanyaki, and Moderno with your SDP. Enjoy. I hope you don't stroke out.

I am not a screamer. :cool:

Just Highlighting my main concerns and details.

So, by your comment, nothing is "Free"?

Two questions. Thanks for your replies.

1) Can I use the SDP at the same restaurant more than once?

2) Description says the SDP includes one main entrée at Cagneys and Le Bistro. I assume the appetizers, soups, salads and deserts are included at no additional charge.

The Breakaway is one of my favorite ships, I think you are confused in thinking that all of those venues are included on the Breakaway. They are not.

Here is a link to all of the dining venues on the Breakaway, pay no attention to the pricing as it is outdated. This also lists Complimentary (free) dining per ship as well.

https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/DiningGuide_042115.pdf

Of the venues on the Breakaway the following you can use the SDP ( you eat free for one meal):

Le Bistro

Moderno

Cagney's

Teppanyaki

La Cucina

Any other venues not listed above your SDP does not cover that venue and you will have an additional cost associated. I really hope this clears things up for you.

Edited by MIA2CHI

Two questions. Thanks for your replies.

1) Can I use the SDP at the same restaurant more than once?

2) Description says the SDP includes one main entrée at Cagneys and Le Bistro. I assume the appetizers, soups, salads and deserts are included at no additional charge.

Yes and Yes

Where? What Restaurant?

If you see my above post most have an additional fee

I made a list for you of the places you can eat with your SDP for no additional charge. I have no idea what more anyone can do to help. The names of the restaurants are right there. I give up.

From what I understand you can dine for free at Cagney's, Le Bistro, La Cucina, Teppanyaki, and Moderno with your SDP. If you received this package free as part of your cruise promo you will still have to pay the 18% gratuity on the usual price of the package but they will charge you that at the time you purchase the cruise so on board the ship you will be able to go to these restaurants and purchase your meal using just your package with no additional money paid.

• Thanks 1

The Breakaway is one of my favorite ships, I think you are confused in thinking that all of those venues are included on the Breakaway. They are not.

Here is a link to all of the dining venues on the Breakaway, pay no attention to the pricing as it is outdated. This also lists Complimentary (free) dining per ship as well.

https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/DiningGuide_042115.pdf

Of the venues on the Breakaway the following you can use the SDP ( you eat free for one meal):

Le Bistro

Moderno

Cagney's

Teppanyaki

La Cucina

Any other venues not listed above your SDP does not cover that venue and you will have an additional cost associated. I really hope this clears things up for you.

Thank you!

It does help a lot, yet I am still confused.

Because of the new à la carte SD.

Read on another thread at the LaCucina everything on the menu is à la carte. No more flat fee to dine there. Then in another thread someone stated that if you have a package it's a flat fee.

Just to be clear :o (sorry) the specialty dining package should have no effect on the à la carte SD menus?

Thank you!

It does help a lot' date=' yet I am still confused.

Because of the new à la carte SD.

Read on another thread at the LaCucina everything on the menu is à la carte. No more flat fee to dine there. Then in another thread someone stated that if you have a package it's a flat fee.

Just to be clear :o (sorry) the specialty dining package should have no effect on the à la carte SD menus?[/quote']

You are correct the dining venue being a la carte doesn't effect your sdp. When things initially went a la carte there was some confusion, but it has been cleared up.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

You are correct the dining venue being a la carte doesn't effect your sdp. When things initially went a la carte there was some confusion, but it has been cleared up.

Thanks for all your help...

Very confusing....to say the least....

on NCL

https://www.ncl.com/udp/faq

It clearly states - Ultimate Dining Package (UDP) the following

A la carte priced restaurants and Ocean Blue are
not
included in the Ultimate Dining Package

Q. IN WHICH VENUES WILL THE ULTIMATE DINING PACKAGE BE HONORED?

A. The Ultimate Dining Package is honored in all specialty restaurants
with the exception
of Ocean Blue,
a la carte priced restaurants
, entertainment-based dining, mini bar and room service.

Le Bistro - a la carte

Moderno

Cagney's - a la carte

Teppanyaki

La Cucina - a la carte

Edited by Feelin' Nauti'

on NCL

not

with the exception
of Ocean Blue' date=' [u']
[/u]

Le Bistro - a la carte

Moderno

Cagney's - a la carte

Teppanyaki

La Cucina - a la carte

That's the old UDP, Ultimate Dining Package, not the SDP Specialty Dining Package. For someone who still has the UDP now (for example somone who picked it as a promo 10 or 11 months ago) it will work on the newly a la carte restaurants listed above. Those restaurants were not a la carte when the UDP was available as a promo or to purchase.

Where? What Restaurant?

If you see my above post most have an additional fee

IN WHICH VENUES WILL MY SPECIALTY DINING PACKAGE BE HONORED?

Specialty dining packages are honored in Cagney's Steakhouse' date=' Moderno Churrascaria, Teppanyaki and our French and Italian restaurants across the fleet[/b'], as well as Margaritaville on board Norwegian Escape. Guests who have purchased the package may also choose to dine in other select à la carte priced restaurants, entertainment-based restaurants, Bayamo, Pincho Tapas Bar, and Ocean Blue restaurants, for the following per person upcharges:

•The Supper Club - $15

•Ocean Blue - $15

•Bayamo - $15

•Cirque Dreams/Illusionarium - $10 regular seats/$15 premium seats/$35 VIP seating on Breakaway

•Sushi -$7

•Raw Bar - $7 (does not include Seafood Plateau. If ordered, the upcharge is to be waived)

•Pincho Tapas Bar - $7

Terms & Conditions

Specialty Dining Packages are available via pre-sell or onboard purchase on days 1 and 2 of the voyage only. On 3-day sailings the package is only for sale on day 1. No refunds are available if fewer restaurants are visited. Specialty Dining Packages are non-transferable. An 18% gratuity and specialty service charge will be added to the package price. Reservations are not required for Specialty Dining Package guests, however, tables reserved onboard will be subject to availability. We encourage you to log in to My NCL to make dining reservations in advance for specific night(s) of your cruise. Specialty Dining Packages are based on a per meal basis and include our steakhouses, churrascarias, French, Italian and Teppanyaki restaurants. You may choose to dine in entertainment-based and certain a la carte priced restaurants for an additional charge. Dining options vary by ship. Guests who have purchased a Specialty Dining Package and wish to dine at one of the following venues will be charged an Upcharge instead of the full cover charge or a la carte price: Ocean Blue - $15 (does not include Seafood Extravaganza. If ordered, the upcharge is to be waived); Bayamo - $15; Cirque/Illusionarium - $10 regular seating/$15 premium seating/$35 VIP seating on Breakaway; Supper Club-$15; Sushi -$7; Pincho Tapas Bar - $7; Raw Bar - $7 (does not include Seafood Plateau. If ordered, the upcharge is to be waived). If the Upcharge option is selected, that visit will be counted towards one of the meals in the package. Room Service, Mini Bar, Food Republic and District Brewhouse, Specialty Items in the Asian restaurant, Hot Rock, a la carte items in the Main Dining Rooms, Carlo's Bake Shop items, The Bake Shop, O’ Sheehan’s Ice Cream Bar, Gelato, Chef's Table, Special Occasion/Holiday menus (New Year's, Christmas, etc.), Jazz Brunch, Wine Lovers and Murder Mystery lunches, and beverages are not included as part of the Specialty Dining Packages. No kids pricing available for Specialty Dining Package. Excludes all 1 and 2 day sailings. Charges will apply for additional main course orders.

on NCL

not

with the exception
of Ocean Blue' date=' [u']
[/u]

Le Bistro - a la carte

Moderno

Cagney's - a la carte

Teppanyaki

La Cucina - a la carte

This applied before July 2nd 2015 after July 3rd 2015 the sdp rule apply

Ultimate Dining Package

TERMS AND CONDITIONS:

For sailings on or before July 2nd, 2015 The Ultimate Dining Package (UDP) is available via pre-sell or onboard purchase on days 1-2 of the voyage only. On 3-day sailings, the package is only for sale on day 1. No refunds are available if fewer restaurants are visited. The Ultimate Dining Package is non transferable. An 18% gratuity and specialty service charge will be added to the package price. A la carte priced restaurants and Ocean Blue are not included in the Ultimate Dining Package, but will be discounted 20% for those purchasing the package. Carlo’s Bake Shop items, Ice Cream Bar, Gelato, Chef’s Table is not included in the Ultimate Dining Package. The UDP does not include beverages. No Kids pricing, package available for guest 13 and older. Excludes all 1- and 2-day sailings. Includes add-ons in Le Bistro such as Fruit de Mer, Lobster and Cote De Boeuf. The package does not apply to Special Occasion/Holiday menus (New Year’s, Christmas, etc.). Latitudes Platinum Guests will receive a $20 discount on the Ultimate Dining Package (as they receive 1 complimentary dinner in Le Bistro). Additional main courses in Cagney’s and Le Bistro will be charged at $10.00.

For Sailings on or after July 3rd, 2015

The Ultimate Dining Package (UDP) is available via pre-sell or onboard purchase on days 1 and 2 of the voyage only. On 3-day sailings the package is only for sale on day 1. No refunds are available if fewer restaurants are visited. The UDP is nontransferable. Reservations are not required for UDP guests, however, tables reserved onboard will be subject to availability for reservations made 24 hours in advance. We encourage you to log in to My NCL to make dining reservations in advance for specific night(s) of your cruise. An 18% gratuity and specialty service charge will be added to the package price. A 25% discount applies to all a la carte and entertainment based dining and select Specialty Restaurants (Not included in the Ultimate Dining Package). These venues include: Sushi, Raw Bar, Food Republic, Hot Rock, Tapas Bar, Noodle Bar, Ocean Blue, Ocean Blue on The Waterfront, The Cellars, The District, Murder Mystery, Cirque Dreams & Dinner, Illusionarium, Supper Club, Wine Lovers, Pajama Jam, Bayamo and Pincho by Jose Garces. The UDP does not include beverages or corresponding gratuity. No kids pricing available for UDP. Excludes all 1 and 2 day sailings. Includes add-ons in Le Bistro such as Fruit de Mer, Lobster and Cote De Boeuf. Does not apply to special occasion/holiday menus (New Year’s, Christmas, etc.). Latitudes Platinum Guests will receive a $20 discount on the UDP (as they receive 1 complimentary dinner in Le Bistro). $10 per each additional main course will be charged in Le Bistro & Cagney’s. Chef’s Table, Jazz Brunch, Carlo’s Bake Shop items, Ice Cream Bar and Gelato are not part of the package.

In general what do meals cost on average for those that don't have the package, and is the 18% built in?

Almost all speciality restaurants are now á la carte so the price varies, but in general one person might pay about $25-30 and upwards for a three course dinner with nothing especially expensive.

The 18% service charge is added on the menu prices on the bill.

When They said "FREE" I immediately thought you are able to dine at any "Specialty Restaurant for FREE.

Guest is responsible for 18% gratuities & service charges on the retail value of the Specialty Dining Package prior to cruise' date=' except when booking a Haven or Suite.

This I understand completely.

What I don't understand is What Restaurant can I go to without additional fees????

Very Confused!!!!!

Packages are based on a per meal basis.

Food Republic, Carlo's Bake Shop items, The Bake Shop, Ice Cream Bar, Gelato, specialty items in the Asian restaurant, Chef's Table, Special Occasion/Holiday menus (New Year's, Christmas, etc.), Jazz Brunch, Wine Lovers and Murder Mystery lunches, and beverages are not included as part of the Specialty Dining Packages.

You may choose to dine in the following venues as part of your Specialty Dining Package for the corresponding upcharges:

The Supper Club ($15),

For the Record ($15),

Ocean Blue ($15),

Bayamo ($15),

Cirque Dreams and Illusionarium ($10 regular seats/$15 premium seats/$35 VIP seating on Breakaway),

Sushi Bar ($7),

Pincho Tapas Bar ($7),

and Raw Bar ($7). Specialty

Dining Packages include one main course per person at Cagney's and Le Bistro restaurants.

Additional main courses will be charged at $10.00. :cool:

There is no minimum or maximum to the number of meals that can be redeemed in a day, however each meal is counted towards the package.

What Specialty Dining Room can I enjoy the FREE Specialty Dining Package on the Breakaway?

[/quote

Do really think anything is free? Your paying for everything you enjoy during your cruise, especially with NCL because of their 18% service charge on the UBP & UDP. So, look at your bottom line and the costs of the freebies are built in. Go and enjoy your cruise! Bon Voyage!

If you drink at least couple of alcoholic drinks a day (like two glasses of wine and a cordial with dinner), the drink package has the best value IMO. NCL has risen bar prices three times last year so paying as you go isn't that affordable anymore.

Excursion promo is a hogwash IMO, current offering is $50 per cabin per port and it's use it or lose it, and you can't save/combine it to use it all in one port where it could matter (in pretty much every port you can do a lot better money wise by not booking excursions through the cruise line).

Usually you can change the chosen promo item within the choices you had when booking (not the ones available now) even after final payment as long as you don't do other changes - for example if you booked oceanview or better, you can't get the current "choose 2" promo now if that wasn't offered back when you booked.

I agree about the excursion promo but we are considering Bermuda so it's $150 for that port and I'm not spending $173 extra per person for the tips on the free drink package nor do we want the spd as its takes too much time and planning I'll pay for a specialty if I could want to go

The wifi is useless as well since we want to make phone calls mostly and Verizon now prorated their $40 plan

We can spend $150 on one e version in Bermuda but if it means 3 excursions in Bermuda or $50 per excursion then it's garbage as well.

Edited by luvtheships