All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

First I want to mention that today's weather is much better than yesterday.  There is a breeze outside, so if you get yourself out of the sun, it's fairly comfortable.  I just got done making dinner in the sun on the grill, so I'm feeling rather sweaty at the moment!

What a great solution for Gracie.  You are right, our furry family members have a rough time with changes. I have had three main cats over the years (with a few temporary ones) and they held up pretty good.  I think this is because we used people that the cats knew well to care for them.  One person, our friend Jimmy, was fantastic.  He has a few cats of his own, so he was able to relate to their needs well.  Anyone can refill the food and water bowl and scoop out the liter, but it takes a cat lover to know what attention the kitty needs.

I'm so glad that Margaret is able to assist you!  I'm certain she will know just what to do as a cat owner herself.  That is really neat.

I think it is great that you are going with your son.  I remember when my daughter did her summer abroad program, and I felt so helpless dropping her off at the airport.  That was different, because she was traveling with fellow students, but it helps me to relate a bit because she was overseas for 2 1/2 months.  

I spent time today creating shower invitations on my computer, then I went to work so that I could use the paper cutter and get nice sharp lines.  I now have them all ready to go.  That was a big thing on my agenda.  I think they came out pretty well.  Here is a picture.  I tried to use the cards to cover the more personal info.

15.jpg

• Like 2

My next item on my to-do list was to accessorize my dresses, and perhaps finalize my daytime outfits.  Here are the dresses with their shoes and jewelry.  For whatever reason, I am having trouble posting from my phone right now, so this will just be a bunch of pictures without comments for each.

I would love to know what you think about a few of these items.  With the brown dress, I opted to dress it down.  This dress is so easy to do that with.  I debated a little bit about whether or not it was the best thing to do, but I think I am going to go for what I show below.

My blue dress has a purplish undertone.  It is not earth, as well as the red dress.  But I had a horrible time getting it to photo well once I set it on the bed with jewelry and shoes, so please refer back to the last group picture I posted of the dresses.  It seems somewhat accurate in that picture. 

Anyway, I thought of a few different directions to go in with this.  Both are dressier than originally planned, but it is what I am comfortable with.  Me and my husband had a bit discussion on that, but I'll explain that later.  Meanwhile, you will see two different sandal and necklace options.

With the lace short dress, I opted only for earrings, which is crazy for me, ha.  From the day I bought this, I've been struggling with jewelry.  I feel like this works.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

4.jpg

Edited by laurspag
  • Like 1

These ended up out of order, but the last photo is the jewelry for the red dress.  I have the matching earrings for the dress, but I like the other pair also, especially because they pick up a little on the bone colored sandals.

Here are more:

6.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

• Like 1

For daytime, I've eliminated the shirt a bunch of us have from Dressbarn.  Even though I wear it at home, it didn't feel right on a cruise that wasn't tropical.  I always bring one extra outfit, so I am not sure what it will be yet.

A side note about the last dress above - this is the first time I have been able to get a photo to show you the wonderful texture it has.  It is really neat.

One thing about a lot of what I am bringing is that I can mix and match if I want to.   also found when doing that, I could also mixt and match the jewelry.  

Every cruise, I bring one of my sister's necklaces with me to wear.  I have three of them, and because she passed away when I was at the airport in between flights going home, I always think of her when I cruise.

Once again, the colors didn't come out quite as well as I would like.  

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

• Like 1

Sorry to be hogging the thread!  I always enjoy sharing with you and seeing your thoughts.

I'm not sold on the print tee yet either, but if I don't figure out what to bring in place of it, I'm fine.  It isn't a big deal.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, laurspag said:

Sorry to be hogging the thread!  I always enjoy sharing with you and seeing your thoughts.

I'm not sold on the print tee yet either, but if I don't figure out what to bring in place of it, I'm fine.  It isn't a big deal.

I’ll try to get my pictures today too (after Les’s doc appt). I’m 90% sure of what I’m bringing. Of course I’m waiting for a bathing suit from Athleta & a pair of white slacks from Chico’s to be delivered. I’m going to stick to black, white & my cobalt blue (except for swimsuits) & my insanely bright Hawaiian Pants & pink tank & overshirt. 11 days on ship & a week in Hawaii...even I might get tired of blue!  Melody

Thanks, Melody!  They were fun to create! 

Yesterday was surgery day.  We got there nice and early as they requested, while they go through the myriad of questions, discussions with the different doctors, etc. I couldn't eat or drink after midnight like usual, but I made sure to drink lots of water during the day on Sunday.  For whatever reason, I was dehydrated a little so they had trouble with getting a vein for my IV.  I was cold too (it cooled off a lot overnight) so they were doing their best.  The third location worked though! 

The stent removal went well, and they were easily able to break up the large stone as it literally right in front of them.  However, my kidney is still swollen because of the location of the larger stone prior to the surgery...it kept draining to the stent at a minimum.  As a result, they couldn't get to the second stone.  It is much smaller, however.  They are hopeful it will pass with the stent in as that makes it easier.  Either way, I will know when it leaves...as it is big enough to be noticeable!

While at the hospital still, I know I got rid of many pieces of the stone already.  It's kind of neat knowing that they are gone.

I'm on antibiotics for a few days, and stent removal is on Friday.  Overall, that underlying feeling of malaise, feeling a bit flu like, etc. is gone.  I feel sharper than I have in quite some time.  The stent is uncomfortable, but I only have that in a few more days.  Plus, I have to go to the bathroom every five minutes.  Lol.

I'm sure that was too much info, probably.  I'm feeling chatty while I am resting.  Plus I like to share things because you never know when someone else is interested in how something works.  I know one of the first things I did when I found out my diagnosis was to contact one of my sisters.  She has been through this and I wanted to know all about her symptoms, what they did, what her options were.  I like to learn and then share with others as well. 

Here is a funny thing about my daytime wardrobe, and wanting to bring 7 outfits with me for a 6 day cruise.  I've been sold on the extra outfit thing for ages.  You never know when you will need it, and you can also wear it for the trip home should you feel any of your previous outfits aren't fresh enough.  I have 6 outfits confirmed right now, one with a shirt I'm on the fence about. 

What makes this all interesting is that I was thinking about what other shirts I could wear with my olive skort.  Then it dawned on me that I was assuming I had to bring that olive skort.  I would love to, it one of my favorite things to wear.  But I think it shows how easy it is to get tunnel vision and not see the whole picture.

I haven't really fussed too much because Macy's was having a big sale, I ordered that Adriana Papell dress I was watching along with a few shirts.  I figured I'd see what those shirts are like, and then decide what I want to do.  I have a few ideas, and they settle right in with the mix and match.  I always aim for as many earth colors as I can, because I feel really good in them.  With my current grouping, I love how much they all work together overall.  While it isn't necessarily a color theme, there is a lot of mixing and matching that can be done.  I am repeating a darker caramel/orange type color as well as a color I'll call a rusty red.   Then there is olive green in the mix.

Has anyone here ever ordered from Boston Proper?  I get a lot of catalogs from them.  I often think that their choice of models make everything look exceptionally "body con" but when I look at at the actual styles, I see things I would wear and they sometimes have good colors.  They are a bit pricey, so I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with them. 

I love your necklace, Melody.  I have had a few necklaces made by people on etsy, and it is pretty neat to get just what you are looking for.  As of matter of fact, I keep thinking about how nice this one that I have will look with the olive green maxi I am bringing.  One thing about simpler, solid color dresses - you can change the look by your accessories so easily.  Jewelry really lets me feel like I am expressing myself so I love having that background to showcase the jewelry sometimes. 

Melody, it shows in your face how happy you are with your new jewelry. 💖

Laurie, you're not hogging the thread. And even if you were, we wouldn't mind because its CLOTHES!! Cruise clothes. Yay. After my Africa tome I think I get the hogging prize around here. I'll be happy to pass the baton.

I am wondering why you are not happy with the print t. Is it because it's a print, or the colors, or the fit? I ask because that is one that I would totally wear. So, I'm curious why it's not speaking to you. How would you feel about it with green earrings? Perhaps pulling a different color to accent would change your mind? As for the extra outfit, I know I shared my Peru story on the thread way back. I had brought two pairs of capris (no long pants this trip), they were my only evening wear other than a sundress, and on the first night of the cruise I spilled red wine all over my lap on the ivory pair. So, one pair of pants for the whole trip (aside from my hiking shorts for daytime). I don't think bringing an extra is a mistake, lol.

IIRC the teal/brown medallion necklace is the one from your sister? I love that one. My sister and I divvied up what was left of my mom's jewelry, and I wear her jewelry when I want to feel close to her. I get that.

I'm glad to hear you are feeling so much better already, even though you're not at the end of the road. Sometimes after you get better, you realize in hindsight that something was wrong for quite a while without being bad enough to get your attention. Keep us posted on how you're doing. Sending healthy thoughts!!! and they are EARTH colored!

Edited by MJC
  • Like 1

Laurie ,good choices for your evening wear .I have to say you are pretty brave to go with so many sleeveless casual shirts .It can be pretty cool in New England .I am in New York visiting my daughter and grandsons .I packed for the heat wave that has left and know I am getting creative with my wardrobe .It is in the 70's and to me that is slightly chilly .We are having a great time.

Laurie, glad the surgery went well. Les had the same surgery with the stent 3 years ago (he wasn’t a happy camper, but I’d expect it to be more uncomfortable for a guy). 

Pictures soon, I promise (I’m waiting for the bathing suit to arrive). Melody

As requested, the infamous Hawaiian pants. Color isn’t too true in the blouses, they are a true hot pink. Laurie, the lighting in my room is worse than yours!  Melody

8C6C0A48-5EFE-4F53-A1A8-C54398984633.jpeg

FC691B46-4F78-4E61-A616-5DCB60718D4E.jpeg

433F8AB3-D66F-4AA2-8F0E-0D16BE3C7A16.jpeg

13BD844A-295E-4A7C-AD72-FCBB99925D47.jpeg

8114E844-EA78-4B5B-A535-DE199251622A.jpeg

367EF5EF-E556-4257-AF9A-60725B0C82E5.jpeg

DEC577DA-AB92-4858-80C5-1028CAFC8F56.jpeg

• Like 1

Laurie...glad to read the good report after your surgery. So glad you are feeling better already even if you are still uncomfortable. Hope everything continues to go as planned and that you will be feeling much closer to if not 100% by your cruise. I’m looking forward to hearing all about your cruise! I followed a TR that included NE ports before heading over to Bermuda...it all looks lovely.

Melody...I think everything you are bringing screams tropical and Hawaii! I love it all...looks like a great tropical vacation wardrobe so far. When do you sail again? From Vancouver right? Will you be in Vancouver for a night or two before sailing? 

So many vacations coming up! Mom and Dad arrive Monday to visit before sailing the following Sunday.

We are 40 days til we leave to take DS to Uni.😢

• Like 1

Anita, we have half of one day & one night in Vancouver pre cruise (couldn’t go earlier as big celebration for son’s 40th bday on the 20th). We’ll be there 21 Sep (scheduled to arrive at 11 am) & sail on 22 Sep. planning on Capilano Bridge & wandering Granville Island. We’re staying at Pan Pacific (Les won’t be lugging any suitcases this trip). 

I really had had fun picking out the tropical things. The linen palazzo pants were so inexpensive (actually downright cheap, under $20) that I had to have them. 

Im not taking our shirt this trip (right now). I had it altered & I'm not terribly thrilled with it, I’m taking it back to see if it can be fixed. I do have a pair of blue based tropical capris (from Chico’s) that I’ll likely wear for sailaway with a cobalt blue tank & sweater. I’ll get a picture of my other wild clothes soon. My culottes are definitely in the mix. Melody

Melody, your clothes are so FUN! As a fellow pattern lover, I heartily approve. Those pants are awesome and I'm sure you'll get some comments on them from fellow passengers.

I really like the blue stripey bathing suit with a bit of orange, and the green fern one.

Laurie, I can't wait to hear if the Adrienne Papell dress works for you. It is so pretty.

I received our Mexican Riviera photo book, and it came out very nicely. Our books are part photo album, part travelogue, part scrap book. I scan things like our room cards and door decor. This book has some of that personal info, so I won't link it here, but if you'd like to look at it you can email me and I'll send you the Mixbook link:  folkdt at aol dot com

Our heat wave ended with some massive tropical downpours with very high winds. We were lucky and didn't lose trees or power, but the neighborhood was a mess. Our lake is now so high we have to step up to the gunnel of the boat to get in, and our dock is partially submerged. I've never seen it so high in the middle of the summer in all our years here.

Our new neighbor gave me a pot of fresh basil, so we are having it with mozzarella and tomatoes tonight. Yum.

• Like 1

I think this Marina Rinaldi dress captures some of the fall colors, though this photo is more muted than the magazine version. It was in In Style this month.

roksanda.jpg.55ec34be1f50bb321d97accc43b3f6b3.jpg

And this from Tellus Mater (a maternity brand):

tellus.jpg.e8a408b827dec10cb74be915c7a58f59.jpg

Some hints of fall colors to come!

Edited by MJC