Why won't the let me upgrade??

Bilu444

I am booked in a balcony cabin on the March 2nd Gem sailing. I called today to inquire how much it would cost to upgrade to a mid ship mini suite. They said there are none available, that they are all sold out of mini suites. I just looked on the NCL website and there are 5 available. Wondering why the won't allow me the chance to pay them more money to upgrade??

When you are getting close to cruise date availability comes and goes ... just now (12:45 Oregon time) the only mini suite category available for booking is guarantee stateroom. It could be that none were available when you called.

I am booked in a balcony cabin on the March 2nd Gem sailing. I called today to inquire how much it would cost to upgrade to a mid ship mini suite. They said there are none available, that they are all sold out of mini suites. I just looked on the NCL website and there are 5 available. Wondering why the won't allow me the chance to pay them more money to upgrade??

Maybe they do not want your cabin, a mini may sell easier for them.

There are no mini suites available for March 2 Gem sailing.

I just went and looked again, and you're right. Says "sold out". How strange because literally 5 minutes ago, there were 5 listed as available.

Edited by Bilu444

Right hand and left hand!!!!!!!!!! :D :eek:

Mike

LOL 1:01 Oregon time there are 2 MA mini suites available as well as guarantee mini suite category. Inventory can change again and again until booking of the remaining staterooms is finalized.

When someone clicks on an available stateroom it is taken out of inventory for a short time to allow time for booking. If person backs out of the booking it takes a few minutes for stateroom to become available again. Timing is everything on short notice cruises.

Edited by kjquilts

We had a balcony cabin booked on the Epic a few years ago, and just a few days before the sailing date I noticed a Haven Spa Suite became available online for $400 more p.p. than I had already paid for the balcony cabin. Including the access to the Haven perks it was totally worth it for us to purchase the upgrade, but when I called my PCC she didn't find any Haven Spa Suite available. She asked me if I remembered the cabin number and luckily I did, and she then checked and found out that nobody was booked in that Haven Spa Suite for that particular cruise. She found it very strange that it didn't come up as available for her to do the upgrade on my behalf. I then said that maybe it was because I had done a "mock booking" without finalizing it when looking at it online, that it was not available. So she just kept trying over and over again for more than 30 minutes, and then suddenly it popped up again and she could go ahead with my upgrade.

Edited by TrumpyNor

Sometimes it can show available but lifeboat for that section is full. I had that issue on Disney and could book 3 into a cabin but not four, and it turned out the section of rooms assigned to lifeboat could only handle 3 more. (And Disney also breaks it down to kids vs adults in lifeboat station so sometimes you can book 4 adults but when you put in child/age but same number of occupants it is not available - seen that happen as well)

How many people in your party? Some mini suites only hold 3-4 people. For example it might show sold out when you search for 4 people but then show availability when you try 2. I've made that mistake a few times myself.

There's only 2 of us.

If you see it available online, make a mock booking and put a 24-hour hold on it. That'll secure the cabin. Then call in and talk to your PCC, phone rep, whomever and they can then cancel the mock booking and change the room on your existing booking. I've done this before many times.

If you see it available online, make a mock booking and put a 24-hour hold on it. That'll secure the cabin. Then call in and talk to your PCC, phone rep, whomever and they can then cancel the mock booking and change the room on your existing booking. I've done this before many times.

The answer you seek is right here - someone a person a TA a PCC putting a

temporary HOLD on a cabin(s) until a decision is made about accepting the

cabin deal promo whatever - that's why the cabins come and go and are

available then not. More cabins appearing and then disappearing could be

linked to a group wanting a block of cabins and not getting them releasing

the sale cancelling out.

Keep trying and as NCL phone line says "Hang in There" we will be right back !

The larger the ship the more opportunities for developments to your favor.

You can be that person putting a temporary HOLD on a specific cabin !

Still no luck. I have called the last 2 days. The website still has 4 or 5 mid ship mini suites available at different times. Never says sold out. However, each time I call, I am told "sorry, but we have no mini suites available." I just don't understand. I am not asking for a free upgrade. I said I want to pay to upgrade but keep getting turned away. This is my first time sailing NCL and I am not sure what to think.

Mock bookings mess up availability. When I was looking at the Sky for this summer, I did a mock booking for Theron I wanted, then one for a different category. When I went back to actually book the Original one, the room I had picked previously was gone. I had to call NCL, and the rep had to call tech support to get it unblocked (not sure how long it takes it out of availability)

Still no luck. I have called the last 2 days. The website still has 4 or 5 mid ship mini suites available at different times. Never says sold out. However, each time I call, I am told "sorry, but we have no mini suites available." I just don't understand. I am not asking for a free upgrade. I said I want to pay to upgrade but keep getting turned away. This is my first time sailing NCL and I am not sure what to think.

They must really dislike you to turn away selling a higher class cabin that you know has availability but they say doesn't.

A discussion with a supervisor clearly communicating the exact cabin numbers shown to be available would quickly and easily solve the problem.

I just checked, and there are indeed 5 midship mini-suites category MA available for the March 2 sailing. I get the option to choose from the following stateroom numbers:

11048-11094-11592-11594-11598

I agree with the previous poster; try calling again, and if you get a "no, nothing available", then ask for a supervisor.

Edited by TrumpyNor

Please don't take "NO" for an answer !

Get the supervisor or someone with horsepower to make it happen.

With NCL when you do a dummy mock booking the cabin that you have

selected is removed from inventory for a period of time.

At the NCL site when you scan the stateroom categories and select one then

look to modify that and go to another cabin and then come back to the first

selection that first selection is no longer available.

You have picked it and it is held for you hidden from view for a period of time.

BUT come back after a period of time and viola it is back.

Getting closer to cruise time with fewer cabins to select from this poses

problems as the cruise would appear to be sold out when it is not.

While you can do the dummy mock booking and put a hold on a cabin for

the period of time that NCL allows - others i.e. TA's PCC's can put a hold

on cabins (inventory) for a much longer period of time as a industry courtesy.

It maybe worth your time to deal directly with these people instead of your

having to hover over your computer waiting to pounce on a fleeting glimpse

of that wanted cabin as it becomes available just briefly.

Suggested not to wait till sailing time - on sold out sailings the Registration

Front Desk often will have signs posted so you don't have to wait in line to

find out that:

* "THIS SAILING IS FULL - NO CABIN ADJUSTMENTS CAN BE MADE"*

But even at that like a good hotel NCL will have some cabins held in reserve

for screwed up bookings maintenance issues and the alike.

You are not likely to qualify for this but when the anchor is lifted and lines

tossed off to shore - perhaps you might score at that point - a cabin trade

at that point may work for the both NCL and you.

The horsepower official in charge on board the ship is the Hotel Director !