Check your portfolio charges!

fyrfytr80

We keep a spreadsheet with all of our holiday costs on it. Very useful for costing out new cruises/drinks packages etc.. and comparisons with earlier cruises. Pivot tables are quite useful here (scary when you analyse the drinks part of the portfolio:eek:)

• 2 weeks later...

We just got back from a cruise on the Ruby Princess. The afternoon before debarkation we paid our account off in full - $146.14. I just looked at my Discover card and there's two charges on there from Princess dated 2 days prior to us paying the SS card off. One charge was for $25.40 and the other for $22.15. I've already disputed it with our CC company and I have a copy of the printout showing 0 balance. I read here where this happens way too often. Does Princess make that many mistakes or is this done intentionally by Princess hoping you won't notice?

We just got back from a cruise on the Ruby Princess. The afternoon before debarkation we paid our account off in full - $146.14. I just looked at my Discover card and there's two charges on there from Princess dated 2 days prior to us paying the SS card off. One charge was for $25.40 and the other for $22.15. I've already disputed it with our CC company and I have a copy of the printout showing 0 balance. I read here where this happens way too often. Does Princess make that many mistakes or is this done intentionally by Princess hoping you won't notice?

Why not ask them? ;)

We also check our account almost every day.

Last cruise we went to the Pub Lunch at which the waitress was either new or a little dizzy. She messed up our order which we sent back and requested what we had ordered, then brought us a tray of drinks with 6 or 7 bottles and cans on it. We said no. Then I had to chase her down to bring the two drinks that we had ordered.

Next day we checked our account. We found two errors. We had been charged for the tray of drinks we turned down and we found a $100.00 credit to our account.

Talked to Passenger Service desk. Explained what occurred at the Pub Lunch and inquired as to what the credit was for? The desk stated that they would clear up the charges, but had to talk to manager of the pub lunch first. As to the credit, they had no idea.

Next day both the charges and the credit was gone.

We also save the account printouts we get while on ship. Just in case we have a problem later.

Bob

We have only been on 6 cruises and so far we have been charged twice for bar charges. My husband and I do not drink so it was an easy catch but the first time we did not check our bill until the morning of departure and so there was not enough time to fight the bill. ($15.00 charge)

This last time it happened I caught it the next day and went to have it removed.

My son had a $150.00 bar bill by someone with the same name, got that one corrected as well.

I do wonder how this happens since we have been on only 6 cruises and we are running at a 50% chance of an error on our bill!

Hi.......new to princess. So, are they taking down folio numbers by hand or do they swipe your cabin key (like Carnival, Disney, etc)? Do you get paper receipts to keep track? :confused:

On our last cruise, (on the Grand) we were not able to get paper receipts on all our drink purchases. We have never had a problem with

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

On our last cruise, (on the Grand) we were not able to get paper receipts on all our drink purchases. We have never had a problem with

Sorry, having wrong charges. We picked up a copy everyday.

Funny that I read this thread. Reminds me of Panama cruise with Celebrity. Last morning I checked account on TV. Said I Owed less than $40. I was putting money on account every week on cruise just to have a handle on it. I went down to square off bill and they said I owed $242. No way I says. Yes they says. No pay I says. We call cops they says. I says use my phone. Boss guy comes and says don't worry about it. That is why I will cruise with Princess and hope for best. No ****!!

We have never had an erroneous charge until a few weeks ago on Caribbean Princess. It wasn't a huge deal...$6.XX for a beer in Outrigger. I did get a beer at Outrigger, but I had the All Inclusive Beverage Package so was a little miffed why a charge that was clearly under the "limit". When I went to the desk they confirmed the charge with a receipt print out and then confirmed my beverage package with the sticker on the card (which also showed the billing for the package so it was a little surprising they confirmed with the card...maybe just to make sure the sticker was there). He took it off in a couple seconds and apologized.

I was surprised to see they don't have people sign receipts anymore for bar purchases. That would have immediately alerted me to a charge. I was also surprised the card itself isn't "coded" or when swiped it doesn't automatically know I have the beverage package. The sticker is the only way the bartenders know and apparently this bartender either charged me out of spite or just missed the sticker.

It was easily resolved and fortunately I saw it before the last day so there was no line. I happened to be walking around on the last sea day during the afternoon and saw the kiosk so decided to swipe and see what was on my account. I'll be checking daily on the app in the future.

Getting a paper receipt is a very good idea to keep track of your own purchases and point out any mysterious charges that appear in your portfolio. The problem is that your receipts won't help show that you didn't order that mystery drink (unless it was at the same time of day). It seems from previous posters and was my experience that Princess has been removing these charges without question though. It's just an extra hassle to deal with.

We had a charge for $69 from one of the MDRs on our Dawn Princess cruise. It was from the other MDR, not the one we dined in at night, we had the AIBP so were drinking wines by the glass, and it couldn't have been a bottle of wine as the 40% discount only applies to wines under $100 (max $60 that could be charged). Guest services went through every slip from that MDR, twice, in front of me but couldn't find a match. It was later removed from our account.

One of the nice things about having the AIBP is that there aren't lots of small charges going on to your account so it is very easy to spot errors like that.

We had a charge for $69 from one of the MDRs on our Dawn Princess cruise. It was from the other MDR, not the one we dined in at night, we had the AIBP so were drinking wines by the glass, and it couldn't have been a bottle of wine as the 40% discount only applies to wines under $100 (max $60 that could be charged). Guest services went through every slip from that MDR, twice, in front of me but couldn't find a match. It was later removed from our account.

One of the nice things about having the AIBP is that there aren't lots of small charges going on to your account so it is very easy to spot errors like that.

So agree its easy to spot if there is only a few charges not 1000s of charges for a few dollars a drink.

Though one cruise (Celebrity I think from memory) there were 100s of $0.00 entries as they entered each drink separately.

We've never had any extra charges on any of our cruises so far. We'll be sailing with Princess for the first time in a few days, and I like the fact that you can check your bill with the Princess@Sea app. Hopefully, we'll still be batting 1000 after this cruise...........

This is our first cruise with Princess and we are looking forward our cruise next week. Having taken lots of Celebrity cruises, we are accustomed to having our card swiped, signing a bill and receiving a copy... every time. Then, too, we can also check our account on the stateroom TV. (We don't have iPads etc. so no apps.)

Every second night or so, I take all my receipts and literally check each off against the TV account with a pen to see that the balance is correct.

From reading this thread, I think I cannot do this because no one has mentioned the stateroom TV account, and I must go to some kind of kiosk, I must ask the server for a bill copy and that copy may not have the charge recorded on it. Is that correct?

In any case, this has been a most valuable thread. Thanks.

Bill

Edited by spearmint

We both check our bill a few times during the cruise. Haven't been on a ship that had the Wi-Fi app to use it would be handy. A couple drinks added to my bill i would never notice unless they were something that was way off the cuff for us. We try different drinks so I'm sure i may have missed a few.

This is our first cruise with Princess and we are looking forward our cruise next week. Having taken lots of Celebrity cruises, we are accustomed to having our card swiped, signing a bill and receiving a copy... every time. Then, too, we can also check our account on the stateroom TV. (We don't have iPads etc. so no apps.)

Every second night or so, I take all my receipts and literally check each off against the TV account with a pen to see that the balance is correct.

From reading this thread, I think I cannot do this because no one has mentioned the stateroom TV account, and I must go to some kind of kiosk, I must ask the server for a bill copy and that copy may not have the charge recorded on it. Is that correct?

In any case, this has been a most valuable thread. Thanks.

Bill

Hi Bill,

You can go to the kiosk and swipe your cruise card and your bill copy comes out.

It takes less than a minute. I never seen all the changes not on the copy.

I just got a new i-pad pro and check my bill from my cabin now.

Both ways work. Have a Great Time on your cruise!!

Tony

The charges that I questioned never showed up on my final bill. Discover wanted me to wait until today to call Princess about the charges. I checked my Discover card today and both charges disappeared. Don't know what that was all about but it sure did get my panties in a wad. We go to the kiosk every other day and get a copy of our bill. We haven't seen anything that wasn't right, it's the CC charge that created the questioning. All is well, made another payment for our October cruise today. :D

Halfway through our just-completed Panama Canal Transit on the Island Princess, I used the Princess@Sea software to check our account. It showed drinks had been charged to both my wife and myself, on 2 separate nights and well after we would have retired to bed. The girl at the Front Desk said she would talk to the Bar Manager and it would be taken care of within one or two days. Nothing had changed after 3 days so I went back. A different employee took care of everything in 3 minutes while I waited. This is the first time that we've had any problem like this in our 17 Princess cruises.