Toddler Sea Sickness?

kbset

It is very rare that someone that young gets sea sick.

I too would followup with the pediatrician to have a game plan just in case but do not believe there is a children's medicine that they can take at such as young age, so a remedy would likely be something else.

Again bes to speak with the child's pediatrician. Even for an adult I believe it is always best to seek advice from the doctor.

Our daughter has issues with nausea when cruising but the good news is that didn't happen until about the age of eight.

Keith

Edited by Keith1010

No, and that is very very unusual for a child to have an issue. Does she have motion sickness in planes or cars?

You're fine don't worry about it, MIL's are notorious for stressing out daughter in laws. ;)

Edited by Lerin

Toddlers very rarely get sea sick unless, as other have said, she has shown some other signs like car sickness. If it happens on the very rare occurrence the medical team on board will be able to advise. My daughter has multiple complex medical conditions and I didn't give sea sickness a second thought.

I actually was at the pediatrician last month and asked him this question. He affirmed what everyone is saying, that it is rare for kids to get sea sick. But said if my daughter did he would recommend just giving her Benadryl. I was ready to take the medicine cabinet based on what ifs!!

Children's size Sea Bands.

Play "dress-up" with the bands before the cruise. You don't want a battle with her about putting them on when she already feels unwell. (But you already knew that!)

Fingers crossed that she won't have any problems with something that is pretty rare in a toddler anyhow. Have a wonderful trip!

The recommended kids dosage for Dramamine is for ages 2+. The kids version is just a flavored half dose of the adult pill but you can use it sparingly in a child younger than that. You could use Benadryl in its place. It's not the same but it is close enough to help get rid of the symptoms. If you didn't want to use a drug there are several natural remedies (green apples, ginger, peppermint, etc.)

If your child doesn't get car sick in a rear facing car seat, especially on windy or hilly roads, I doubt they will get sea sick.

Your toddler will have an absolute ball!!

I honestly don't think you will have any problems, at 1.5yo toddlers are used to being pushed around in prams - plenty of motion... up and down foot paths, grass, etc...

last year my husband, 1.5yo son and I travelled 2 weeks Sydney to Singapore then 3 weeks later travelled aboard Rhapsody on the Greek Isles/Turkey cruise. Though my husband and I did definitely feel the movement of the ships at certain points of the cruise, my son did not seemed fazed at all by the sway of the ship in the 3 weeks we spent on water and he would actually turn it into a balancing game at times.

As a child, I cruised with my parents aboard P&O Sky, the cruise was not able to continue on its scheduled route due to a cyclone. As you can imagine, most people on the ship were ill - with the advise of the doctor on board at the time, my mum bought smarties and some other lollies to raise our sugar levels which surprisingly worked - couple that with sitting on the deck in the fresh air and all us 4 kids under 12 were fine :D

Enjoy your cruise :D

Ginger is the most effective natural remedy, according to our TA. However, you have to start eating it a week prior to the cruise.

Ginger snaps are good, but raw ginger is better. I doubt your daughter will be effected at that age. If she doesn't get car sick she isn't going to get sea sick.

We have cruised three times with five children ages 20 month - 36 month and never a hint of sea sickness. They are to busy being entertained to get sea sick.