Getaway Solo Cabin Questions

alexmom

I've booked a solo on deck 11 and wonder about the lounge, like, is there a door to get into the lounge on that deck ? Or is it on deck 10 ? The ship deck plans don't indicate ANY doorway that I can see, just a curved stairwell in the upper left corner.

I would also like to know if I need to bring a hairdryer, or if one is provided. I didn't see one in the 360 degree video. Although I did notice 2 doors, but there were connecting cabins on deck 10, maybe that's why 2.

I also wonder about restaurant seating in the complimentary venues. Do they have a special table that they park solo travelers at or do they automatically seat you at a regular 4 seat table, and leave the other 3 seats vacant ?

Every solo review I've seen on CC says the solo lounge was devoid of humans, save the occasional room steward, and that they very rarely saw one of their solo cabinmates as they came and went, night and day. Is it difficult to meet people on NCL ships ? I've only cruised Princess and it was easy to find friendly people. Of course, that may be because I'm a happy, friendly person and not because Princess passengers are actually friendlier. I've heard that on some cruise lines the cruisers have a tendency to be "reserved". No one would ever call me reserved, although I do respect boundaries. What is the general temperament at NCL ? (It's a February caribbean cruise, so that would probably make most of the passengers North American)

I also saw what looked like a beverage station in the Studio Lounge photo, and even some pastries in a case. Any information on that would be very welcome !

Thanks,

kristine

I've booked a solo on deck 11 and wonder about the lounge, like, is there a door to get into the lounge on that deck ? Or is it on deck 10 ? The ship deck plans don't indicate ANY doorway that I can see, just a curved stairwell in the upper left corner.

I would also like to know if I need to bring a hairdryer, or if one is provided. I didn't see one in the 360 degree video. Although I did notice 2 doors, but there were connecting cabins on deck 10, maybe that's why 2.

I also wonder about restaurant seating in the complimentary venues. Do they have a special table that they park solo travelers at or do they automatically seat you at a regular 4 seat table, and leave the other 3 seats vacant ?

Every solo review I've seen on CC says the solo lounge was devoid of humans, save the occasional room steward, and that they very rarely saw one of their solo cabinmates as they came and went, night and day. Is it difficult to meet people on NCL ships ? I've only cruised Princess and it was easy to find friendly people. Of course, that may be because I'm a happy, friendly person and not because Princess passengers are actually friendlier. I've heard that on some cruise lines the cruisers have a tendency to be "reserved". No one would ever call me reserved, although I do respect boundaries. What is the general temperament at NCL ? (It's a February caribbean cruise, so that would probably make most of the passengers North American)

I also saw what looked like a beverage station in the Studio Lounge photo, and even some pastries in a case. Any information on that would be very welcome !

Thanks,

kristine

I can only comment on my studio experience from the Epic. On the Epic there was a door that led to the lounge you could only get in with your key card.

As for Dinner. There was a nightly scheduled Solo gathering I believe around 6. This is the time you would see the most solo travelers. It's from this gathering each night that the solo coordinator would take us to a restaurant as a group. The solo coordinator also arranged for people specialty restaurants / shows. I had been a solo twice now and can say 1 solo group was much more active and as a group they planned what to do in port and many other activities. But dinner was aways arranged. The rest of the meals never were. And never was asked if I wanted to share a table. Was always sat alone at a table for 2..

The lounge and have heard the same has a very good free expresso / latte maker as well as a fridge and there were always snacks left out as well as breakfast type snacks in the morning and juice.

As for meeting people on the cruise I always find it extremely easy no matter where you go. You just have to be friendly. I have found most people on a cruise are in vacation mode and wanting to meet others.

Thanks,

kristine

I sailed on the Getaway in a solo studio cabin on Deck 10. On my deck, you had to use your key card to enter the Studio Area from the main deck hallway. Once inside this area, you had access to the inner halls of the Studio Area. This is where the entrance to the studio cabins is from. Also, there is a door to the Studio Lounge. So you don't enter the lounge directly from the main deck hallways. I think Deck 11 is the same, but I don't know for certain. The spiral stairway inside the lounge appears to be to a door that would have also been inside the Studio Area. So I suspect you will enter that door and then navigate down the spiral stairway to Deck 10 were all the stuff is located. There was a wine dispensing machine (which is not included in the ultimate beverage package). There were usually several dessert/snacks and some fruit out. There were some free beverages, but I don't recall what they were since I didn't use them. But they were nonalcoholic. It might have just been ice water. I never went to an organized social event, so I can't comment on that. Now and then I would bump into someone in the lounge who was there reading or talking on their phone or using their laptop or something. Personally, I only used the lounge to steal a few cookies now and then.

There was a sign-up sheet in the lounge that I noticed where maybe 8-10 people's names were on it. I forget if it was a dinner signup or for entertainment. But people were using it.

I didn't eat in any restaurants other than the buffet, but NCL generally has tables for 2 and can sit you there if available. But they would probably also seat you at a 4-top if that was all that is available. They will not force you to sit with others unless you want to do that and the other party is agreeable.

I find NCL as easy as any line to meet people. I usually meet people at the bar or by the pool or at trivia. I'm not really the type to go to an organized solo group gathering. I just let my interactions happen as they may. People are very friendly if you are.

Have a great trip. I loved the Getaway. And I have cruised NCL several times as a solo traveler. It will be what you make of it.

I can only comment on my studio experience from the Epic. On the Epic there was a door that led to the lounge you could only get in with your key card.

As for Dinner. There was a nightly scheduled Solo gathering I believe around 6. This is the time you would see the most solo travelers. It's from this gathering each night that the solo coordinator would take us to a restaurant as a group. The solo coordinator also arranged for people specialty restaurants / shows. I had been a solo twice now and can say 1 solo group was much more active and as a group they planned what to do in port and many other activities. But dinner was aways arranged. The rest of the meals never were. And never was asked if I wanted to share a table. Was always sat alone at a table for 2..

The lounge and have heard the same has a very good free expresso / latte maker as well as a fridge and there were always snacks left out as well as breakfast type snacks in the morning and juice.

As for meeting people on the cruise I always find it extremely easy no matter where you go. You just have to be friendly. I have found most people on a cruise are in vacation mode and wanting to meet others.

Thanks for all the information ! I'm glad to find out that there is a way that I don't need to eat alone every night. I haven't done anything 'all by myself' for 4 decades, which is probably why I'm having the mid-life crisis that led to the solo cabin cruise, so eating alone a few times will actually be relaxing. I just wasn't keen on an entire cruise of solo meals, especially dinners, when repeated solo meals make you look pathetic. Even vacation mode people will steer clear of pathetic !

I have good social skills, so I know I'll meet people, but with only 7 precious cruise days the likelihood of finding people who will willingly share table space with you drops dramatically. Good to know NCL has a plan in place for solo diners ! Yay, NCL !

Thanks,

kristine

When will you be sailing? I am doing a three week cruise in December over Christmas in a Studio on Deck 11. Sometimes, I eat alone and at others times not. You might want to go to Guest Services and sign up for "Dinner With An Officer". It is free and usually a very interesting evening.

Mandy

I just returned from a Deck 11 Studio cabin on Getaway.

I can confirm most of the answers.

The lounge is two levels, the lower level has a small bar with a bartender on duty from 5 to 7, and the coffee machine, and during the day, orange juice and water. Pastries in the morning for breakfast and snacks in the afternoon and evening.

The deck 11 part is just chairs and a few small tables.

To enter the studio area, you start from the forward elevator area, on either deck 10 or 11. For deck 10, you can go forward along either side, but for deck 11, you must choose the starboard side, because the door on the port side is replaced with the spiral stairway. If you want to snag some snacks, start on deck 10, then climb the spiral stairs to deck 11 and your room.

There is another door, farther forward, to exit the studio area, but that just puts you farther away from the elevators, so it doesn't make any sense to go out that way.

My biggest complaint about the lounge was that there are NO power outlets in the area for electronic devices. None. My laptop battery decided to die on this cruise, so I could not use it in the lounge, since there were no power outlets. And there is no place in the cabin to use a laptop unless you clear off the very small half-table under the TV.

Dinner as a single is one of NCL's biggest weaknesses. I was fortunate to be traveling with some friends, so I ate with them each night. My cruise as a single on Epic 3 years ago was not as fortunate, as I was also seated alone in the dining room for several of the nights.

I had a great time, talked to a lot of people. As with any cruise, it is what you choose to make it. Most people are friendly and will engage you in conversation.

Theron

Also I would sign up for the meet and greet and see if anyone on the board is solo as well. My 1st solo trip I met 2 people from this board before even getting on the ship thanks to this forum.

• 2 months later...

I have not cruised Gateway before. My solo cruise in a studio was a transatlantic on the Epic. Our solo coordinator introduced herself the first night and had we had a group dinner. Each night there was a dinner sign up sheet or the main dinning room and also one of the speciality dinning rooms. The coffee machine was great, morning was orange juice, cereal, and pastries. Afternoon there was sandwiches, cookies and yogurt.

i just got off the escape and did the getaway twice. I had to ask my room stewart for a hairdryer on all three cruises but was promptly brought one immediately. Each time i went for dinner in the main restaurant i always was seated at a table for two by the window. maybe just coincidence but that was every time on three cruises. I don't mind eating alone and did not go to the solo meetings as that is not my thing but i met many others on my own no problem. As for seeing people in the halls in the studio cabins i only saw one person on the last day on the last cruise. but i am a late night person though. The studios are so quiet which i love. You will have an amazing time. I love love love the getaway as well as the escape.

I've booked a studio on the Getaway after I had a great time as a solo on the Escape. I assume it works the same way on both ships: There is a solo meet 'n greet every day (was at 6 pm on the Escape - it will be listed in the dailies.) If you are looking for dinner companions, this is where you should go. There was a solo coordinator who booked group dinners and shows for us.

At any time of day OTHER than the daily solo meeting, the lounge was usually abandoned. I only walked through during the day to grab a cookie.

I was on epic its first year in January and the breakaway this Christmas. Both times there were lots of solos of all different ages in the lounge for the daily meet up. I wasn't in a studio for breakaway, but went to the gathering. I ate in specialities by myself most nights, but did Christmas Eve dinner with the group. Most of the others did eat together the other nights. There were sign ups for all the meals and all of the entertainment. I ended up going with them and moving my original show choices.

I was so happy with the experience I am going on Breakaway again in August and booked a studio.

Hi,

I will be traveling solo on the Escape this summer, however I just upgraded to a balcony cabin. Do we still have access to the studio when the 6pm meetings are held? Would it be difficult to find if you are not staying in that area of the ship?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Caro

<<I've booked a studio on the Getaway after I had a great time as a solo on the Escape. I assume it works the same way on both ships: There is a solo meet 'n greet every day (was at 6 pm on the Escape - it will be listed in the dailies.) If you are looking for dinner companions, this is where you should go. There was a solo coordinator who booked group dinners and shows for us.>>

At any time of day OTHER than the daily solo meeting, the lounge was usually abandoned. I only walked through during the day to grab a cookie.

Yes, if you are sailing solo they will prop the door open and you are welcome to go in. Some have reported asking at Guest Services to program your key card to open the living room, but I can't attest to that.

Some have also mentioned that on the newer ships the solo gathering wasn't in the lLiving Room, it was in one of the meeting rooms. Check the daily!

When will you be sailing? I am doing a three week cruise in December over Christmas in a Studio on Deck 11. Sometimes, I eat alone and at others times not. You might want to go to Guest Services and sign up for "Dinner With An Officer". It is free and usually a very interesting evening.

Mandy

I'm going in February for my birthday but I'll be watching for any review you do on CC ! Dinner with an officer sounds fun, especially if he or she actually comes from Norway ! I was there for 9 months when I was 10 years old and it remains my ultimate happy place !

Kristine

I just returned from a Deck 11 Studio cabin on Getaway.

I can confirm most of the answers.

The lounge is two levels, the lower level has a small bar with a bartender on duty from 5 to 7, and the coffee machine, and during the day, orange juice and water. Pastries in the morning for breakfast and snacks in the afternoon and evening.

The deck 11 part is just chairs and a few small tables.

To enter the studio area, you start from the forward elevator area, on either deck 10 or 11. For deck 10, you can go forward along either side, but for deck 11, you must choose the starboard side, because the door on the port side is replaced with the spiral stairway. If you want to snag some snacks, start on deck 10, then climb the spiral stairs to deck 11 and your room.

There is another door, farther forward, to exit the studio area, but that just puts you farther away from the elevators, so it doesn't make any sense to go out that way.

My biggest complaint about the lounge was that there are NO power outlets in the area for electronic devices. None. My laptop battery decided to die on this cruise, so I could not use it in the lounge, since there were no power outlets. And there is no place in the cabin to use a laptop unless you clear off the very small half-table under the TV.

Dinner as a single is one of NCL's biggest weaknesses. I was fortunate to be traveling with some friends, so I ate with them each night. My cruise as a single on Epic 3 years ago was not as fortunate, as I was also seated alone in the dining room for several of the nights.

I had a great time, talked to a lot of people. As with any cruise, it is what you choose to make it. Most people are friendly and will engage you in conversation.

Theron

This is by far the best explanation of the Studio layout I've seen ! My cabin is the first one when you open the starboard door so it's looking like I chose a good cabin location.

I know I won't have problems meeting people and I've already made a friend on my role call. Thanks again for your excellent and happy information !

Kristine

I have not cruised Gateway before. My solo cruise in a studio was a transatlantic on the Epic. Our solo coordinator introduced herself the first night and had we had a group dinner. Each night there was a dinner sign up sheet or the main dinning room and also one of the speciality dinning rooms. The coffee machine was great, morning was orange juice, cereal, and pastries. Afternoon there was sandwiches, cookies and yogurt.

I'm thrilled about the coffee machine and plan to use it often. I also like the idea of signing up for a few group dinners.

And please, let me thank you for your service ! My mom and dad were both squids in WW2.

Kristine

• 2 weeks later...
I see that there are "happy hours" for a short time during each day. Do the wine machines work when the bar is not open?

They work, but are not included with the UBP... You would pay full price per serving...

My solo cabin experiences have only been on Epic. The first time thanks to a special promotion I was upgraded to a balcony cabin but I got Guest Services to swipe my card which gave me access to the Studio Lounge. Second time around I had a studio cabin and loved it. The Studio Lounge is a great place to meet up with other solos and it is entirely up to you if you join others for dinner/shows/shore excursions. On both cruises we had a fantastic Studio Lounge Co-ordinators - they were not pushy but things were arranged for those who wanted to join in. Met some very nice people with whom I am still in touch and in fact a group of us met up on the second Epic cruise I did at Christmas when my family also were on board, having flown from their base in Dubai to Barcelona.

If you want to find a bit of peace and quiet then consider purchasing a weekly pass for the Posh Club (adult only area on Deck 18). There is a very nice bar there which also serves food and the waiter we had was really good. Guest Services have the passes which were $59 for the week on Epic but you need to purchase these as soon as you board as they are very limited.

Good Luck with your plans. You will, I am sure, enjoy the studio cabin.

Suzanne