Piano Bar entertainers - who is your favorite?

JPH814

The best and most entertaining piano player we have enjoyed on any ship is Barry from Boston. He has entertained us on three separate voyages in the last two years - the Oosterdam from San Francisco to Fort Lauderdale, around the Western Carribean - same ship. More recently we enjoyed his entertainment on the Volendam from Hong Kong to Singapore. Barry has a huge repertoire and loves his music. He also has talent, by the way!;)

We can't wait to sail with him again in the future.

The duelling pianos, which we experienced on the Koningsdam and the refurbished Eurodam, do not have the same atmosphere. In both cases, they were a couple (male and female) who played to each other and forgot about entertains their audience!

Holland America, please retain the old style piano bars! There is nothing better than sitting around the piano and singing along with great entertainers like Barry from Boston! :hearteyes:

Willi from Canberra

We had Barry last year on the Zaandam and he was our favorite. Debbie Bacon was on the Prinsendam back in 2010, and I also thought she was excellent, so was not surprised she has been doing the WC.

Perry Grant left Celebrity and Roy reported he was on Crystal's Northwest Passage last summer. He was extremely "campy" and the older crowd loved him.

Wow. A lot of love for Barry from Boston. He was on Oosterdam in October and I thought he sucked. In fact, I've yet to hear a decent piano entertainer on HAL, and I think the venue is terrible.

Sorry, I know this wasn't exactly what you were asking. :o

Just returned from a cruise on the Volendam and Barry from Boston was in the piano bar. For me, it was painful to listen to him. We actually stopped going to the piano bar. But, there were others on the cruise that loved him. To each his own!

Helen

Michael Sara entertained us on our cruise on Nieuw Amsterdam and we thought he was great. As we were celebrating our wedding anniversary, he asked what music we danced to for our first dance to. It was Holding Back the Years by Simply Red - which he wasn't very familiar with. Nevertheless, he took the trouble to learn it overnight and played it the following day. That's what I call going the extra mile to delight your customer!

Michael Sara entertained us on our cruise on Nieuw Amsterdam and we thought he was great.

Have to disagree on Michael Sara. Saw him for first time on Noordam, in NZ, in 2016, and tried him 3 nights, then never went back. Thought he was full of himself and spent a lot of time talking about himself and his accomplishments. But the thing that really turned me off was the off color remarks - almost constant references. I am not a prude by any means, but found it offensive for the crowd and the setting. Noordam still had the old-style small enclosed piano bar, so it was all private to the crowd in the room, and that certainly would not have played well in the newer open Mix on other ships.

Have to disagree on Michael Sara. Saw him for first time on Noordam, in NZ, in 2016, and tried him 3 nights, then never went back. Thought he was full of himself and spent a lot of time talking about himself and his accomplishments. But the thing that really turned me off was the off color remarks - almost constant references. I am not a prude by any means, but found it offensive for the crowd and the setting. Noordam still had the old-style small enclosed piano bar, so it was all private to the crowd in the room, and that certainly would not have played well in the newer open Mix on other ships.

Finally -- Someone else who isn't a fan of Michael Sara. Yes -- Full of himself indeed. Not so many off-color remarks when I saw him, but he always had the same "shtick" and was constantly repeating what seemed to be pre-programmed remarks. (Plus the fact that for some reason his style of singing and playing discouraged audience participation. People just sat around listening.)

• 4 months later...
Diana Fast. Her husband plays bass in the musical group that plays in the Ocean Bar. Often, he will join her in the Piano Bar after his group's set is finished. And, that only adds to the enjoyment.

Diana is open to song selections from her audience. She can play/sing anything anyone suggests. Often, it is "standing room only" in the venue where she is performing. Just a great talent!

She never takes a break. From the start to the end of her time to perform, she is there entertaining. And, off duty, she is a very pleasant person, as well.

Diana is absolutely fantastic.She made the cruise for us

Stryker by far. He is the only player who, once we discovered him, lured us into going to the piano bar every night. And we are not bar people!! I've checked his Facebook site to find where he is playing, but have never happened to be on his cruises again. Maybe sometime!!!

• 6 months later...

Hi All, Barry from Boston is superb and such an approachable guy, but I have to say my favourite all time Piano Bar entertainer is from England. The one and only Crazy Carl Williams! - Really you have to see this guy, he does impressions of so many different artists down to the T and he is so energetic and fun. My wife and I have seen him in the Caribbean, Oslo and Holland. He really takes piano bar to the next level!!! You can see him in action here: https://www.pianofactor.co.uk

I LOVE piano bars. We will be on the westerdam to Alaska in May. Will there be a good piano player on our sailing? I'm not sure how much entertainment they have on an Alaskan cruise. Most days we are in Port pretty late and Im sure I will be ready for bed pretty early. But if there is a piano bar I will be sure to stop by for a nightcap.

Diane Fast is still the best Piano Bar entertainer that I have been privileged to enjoy on a HAL ship. Barry from Boston is an acquired taste, I think. I didn't acquire such.

The gentleman on the Zaandam this December/January was entertaining for awhile. But, after a few evenings with him, I found entertainment elsewhere. Yet, others really did enjoy him.

I LOVE piano bars. We will be on the westerdam to Alaska in May. Will there be a good piano player on our sailing? I'm not sure how much entertainment they have on an Alaskan cruise. Most days we are in Port pretty late and Im sure I will be ready for bed pretty early. But if there is a piano bar I will be sure to stop by for a nightcap.

The "dedicated" piano bar on Westerdam is no longer. In it's place are two pianists playing and singing simultaneously

EU_Billboard1-604x387.jpg

I discovered Stryker a few years ago on the Zuiderdam and adore him. I’ve been on two other cruises with him since. He won’t be sailing on any of the ships with dualing pianos but perform only on the ships with “The Mix”.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just off the Koningsdam and we were very impressed for the first time in many cruises by the Billboard Onboard performers... two piano players who have both had successful careers as solo artists in the old style Piano Bar on HAL Vista ships: Greg Gallello and Damian Brell. The venue was packed every night from the first song to the last song.

We also love the older, intimate piano bars, before the Billboard invasion. We will never see Stryker or Jimmy Maddox on these newer ships. We will be on the Rotterdam March 11 for 14 days. They have a "Mix" piano bar. Does anyone know who is currently performing on the Rotterdam ?

We also love the older, intimate piano bars, before the Billboard invasion. We will never see Stryker or Jimmy Maddox on these newer ships. We will be on the Rotterdam March 11 for 14 days. They have a "Mix" piano bar. Does anyone know who is currently performing on the Rotterdam ?

Joseph Hume