Impossible question I know! Tauck v. Viking v. AMA v. Avalon, etc.

cool cruiser 14107

Great that it works for you however comparing Howard Johnson to the Four Seasons is what the OP was attempting to do.

I've been on a Viking Longboat, they are beautiful. They looked very lonely last Fall as they sat stuck and the other companies cruised past right into the Port in of Budapest! Then of course there were all those poor Elbe River cruisers that boarded their boats never knowing the ship could not sail and had not sailed for weeks.

That of course is just my opinion based on what I saw personally and what was posted on this very forum (and Facebook) last summer & fall.

A company who can't tell their guests the truth does not deserve YOUR loyalty, glad you have been lucky as have many others I'm sure. The true test of Excellence is how customers are treated when things go wrong and that seems to be my one and only issue with Viking!

I agree that Viking has less than ethical business practices and will never cruise with the line.

I do not find the longships beautiful. IMO, if Ikea and ScanDesign had a baby, it would be a longship. The cabins were small and the boats we visited feltl crowded in comparison to other lines we have cruised with. That is very likely due to the number of passengers they cram aboard.

We were on the AmaBella two years ago and met a well traveled couple who had just completed their first river cruise, on a Viking longship. They were on AMA immediately after and rolled their suitcases from one to the other. They were Oceania and Celebrity cruisers.

We had drinks with them a few times and asked about how the two lines compared. They had French balconies on both and said their Viking cabin was cramped as compared to same type of cabin on AMA; they said the included wine was the same every night and "swill"; and their opinion of the food was that it underwhelming in all aspects.

They also said that if Viking had been their own river cruising experience they would not ever have booked another.

We all have different tastes and priorities but I would not give my money to Viking for many reasons, only one of which is their poor communication and customer service.

YMMV

Edited by caviargal

LOL you kill me Caviargal!!! That's the best I've ever heard "if Ikea and ScanDesign had a baby, it would be a longship" :)

I've never been on a Viking longship or any other ship, but the visual picture i'm getting is still making me laugh!!! Good one Caviargal!!! :D

Just my opinion, if you've not traveled with Viking, AMA, Uniworld etc then how can you make a fair assumption? Perhaps we're one of the lucky ones, have traveled with Viking 5 times with 6 coming up soon and 7th in December. We've also travel with GCT, Uniworld & Avalon so I would feel I could only fairly share my thoughts in regard to these lines.

Yes, Viking cabins are small but we prefer the clean lines and rather minimalistic furnishings than those of Uniworld, which are a bit over the top in my estimation. However I'd have no problem traveling on any of them if the itinerary were to my liking. Maybe we just like KMart as opposed to Saks!

LOL!

I swear they are the ugliest boats on the river from the outside - IMO. The hulls look like icebreakers. And quite generic as well on the inside.

I'm guessing that in your opinion, I have no taste, because I really like the clean lines and look of the Viking Longships, and I thought the Uniworld ships were really over the top - especially the interiors. Everyone has their own taste, and I really don't see the point in casting aspersions at someone else's choice!

I will never understand why some people feel the need to put down the choices of others - as if it were some way of validating their own. SMH!

I will never understand why some people feel the need to put down the choices of others - as if it were some way of validating their own. SMH!

I don't understand why a total stranger's opinion of anything would even matter to you. :cool:

I would not sail on GCT or Croisi or Vantage or Amadeus either. Just personal taste. But these lines are ideal for those that enjoy them.

I find the decor of Uniworld over the top as well. But we totally enjoyed our cruise with them and their reputation for customer service is excellent. That is where the rubber meets the road.

In my opinion, of course!:)

Edited by caviargal

I have no ultimate knowledge beyond my two Avalon cruises, and seeing other ships at dock, but Avalon hit the sweet spot for us of amenities and modern ships and the important price point.

All river cruises are more expensive than just about any other reasonable vacation option. That said, there are times when you can get a deal. Our cruise in November was almost half the price of our cruise in October the year before. It was sort of the last cruise before the Christmas Market Cruises, and they sweetened the deal by making it a wine and food appreciation cruise, so we did lots of wine tastings on the ship and in ports. So much so, the only drinks we bought were two free cocktails for having sailed with Avalon the year before. Well we did have wine and beer in ports, but that is it. Couldn't imagine drinking more.....

It was still expensive.

JC

I don't understand why a total stranger's opinion of anything would even matter to you. QUOTE]

Isn't the purpose of the message boards to ask strangers' opinions?

Yes, but to take a stranger's opinion as a personal criticism is what I am referring to. I don't take it personally when a stranger has different taste than I do.

Edited by caviargal

I understand Cavairgal's opinion on river cruise lines, since I have seen here posts in the past.

I happen to prefer Vantage because of the pricing, but she prefers to go a higher level. I understand that and have taken no offense.

Yes, these message boards are about expressing our opinion and preferences as well as posting our experiences that might assist others on their travel plans. Some people like vanilla more than strawberry, others want hot fudge loaded with nuts, cherries and whipped cream.

I think what people want are details to assist them with forming a decision as well as opinions.

Snip

I think what people want are details to assist them with forming a decision as well as opinions.

I want details that are objective facts, or opinions based on a poster's actual experiences on a ship. Seems like from time to time we get a post with subjective opinions about a line that the poster "would never cruise." Not helpful . . .

I want details that are objective facts, or opinions based on a poster's actual experiences on a ship. Seems like from time to time we get a post with subjective opinions about a line that the poster "would never cruise." Not helpful . . .

There are reasons I will never cruise a certain line that are not subjective: cabin size, level of luxury, on board amenities, and payment requirements are just a few of those.

I also count a line's reputation for how they handle high and low water situations as important. And I don't consider that to be subjective. YMMV.

Edited by caviargal

I also count a line's reputation for how they handle high and low water situations as important. And I don't consider that to be subjective.

It is not always just high or low water issues! On a Christmas market cruise with Uniworld in Dec. 2014 there was a broken lock, we had to board in Passau instead of Nuremberg. Spent one night in Nuremberg hotel (nice) meal was ok not as good as Uniworld's food. A few bus trips with a very generous lunch money! No really did not like the bus trips but we had great sausage at the markets. At the end of a excellent cruise we were given a $500. each credit toward another cruise!!!! I will be going on my sixth cruise with Uniworld in August.

Second seating

I also count a line's reputation for how they handle high and low water situations as important. And I don't consider that to be subjective.

It is not always just high or low water issues! On a Christmas market cruise with Uniworld in Dec. 2014 there was a broken lock, we had to board in Passau instead of Nuremberg. Spent one night in Nuremberg hotel (nice) meal was ok not as good as Uniworld's food. A few bus trips with a very generous lunch money! No really did not like the bus trips but we had great sausage at the markets. At the end of a excellent cruise we were given a $500. each credit toward another cruise!!!! I will be going on my sixth cruise with Uniworld in August.

Customer service is huge, IMO, and it sounds like Uniworld delivers when presented with a challenge. I am not surprised as they are a class act and we really enjoyed our Rhone cruise with them.

AMA and Avalon also handled various difficult situations very well for us.

There are reasons I will never cruise a certain line that are not subjective: cabin size, level of luxury, on board amenities, and payment requirements are just a few of those.

I also count a line's reputation for how they handle high and low water situations as important. And I don't consider that to be subjective. YMMV.

Agree, and how they require prepayment way in advance. Those are both red flags, that most people ignore, because they see the ads on TV....

Which says something profound, and disturbing....

JC

re this comment:

[quote=caviargal;49314724

]I don't understand why a total stranger's opinion of anything would even matter to you.

isn't that the whole point of ANY conversation??

isn't that the point of just about any forum? everything is opinion and hearsay; and is all good to hear!!

I'm confused why a forum would interest you?:)

but thanks for the input

re this comment:

I'm confused why a forum would interest you?:)

but thanks for the input

I am confused by your entire post actually. I find forums to be very interesting as well as useful and am a long time contributor.

Luckily, we are not required to read posts that we have no interest in.;)