Recommendations for hotels in Sydney

Thanks for all the great advise. I was seriously looking into staying at an apartment. Found two that we really liked. Received the lease and then was told that there was a $600 bond that wouldn't be received back for 5 days after we left. They both wanted full amount and a copy of my Passport with the money. That was not going to happen. I was able to get a room at the Rendezvous Hotel Sydney the Rocks for $300 less than the Pier One Sydney Harbour and we have added an extra night to our trip. We are now going to be there for 6 days before the cruise. This hotel had great reviews on Trip Advisor and it has a free laundry (which we are going to need) in the hotel.

In case anyone was wondering, I was told by American Airlines that we will be able to book the return flight on March 24th last night.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thanks for all the great advise. I was seriously looking into staying at an apartment. Found two that we really liked. Received the lease and then was told that there was a $600 bond that wouldn't be received back for 5 days after we left. They both wanted full amount and a copy of my Passport with the money. That was not going to happen. I was able to get a room at the Rendezvous Hotel Sydney the Rocks for $300 less than the Pier One Sydney Harbour and we have added an extra night to our trip. We are now going to be there for 6 days before the cruise. This hotel had great reviews on Trip Advisor and it has a free laundry (which we are going to need) in the hotel.

In case anyone was wondering, I was told by American Airlines that we will be able to book the return flight on March 24th last night.

Sounds like it's all falling into place.

The Holiday Inn is it in Darling Harbor couldn't find it as you name it. Strangely the dates I need next Feb. for our cruise at unavailable. I'm wondering if it's just too far out yet. Hmmm?

Depends on your budget and length of stay.

pier 1 (mentioned above is nice, but expensive).

Park Hyatt is even nicer but $$$$:eek:.

we like Holiday Inn the Rocks, the night before we sail, it's right opposite the OPT.

Some nice ones around at Darling Harbour.

Four Seasons is good too.

I think I missed something joining AirBnB????

What?? Where?

When we got in on Radiance last year we decided to stay a couple of days in Sydney before flying home. I grew up there and have been back and forth over the years. We could not change the flights but was shocked at the prices for accommodation.

I ended up joining AirBnB and had a look there. Ended up in a great place. We had a very nicely furnished flat with Bedroom, Bathroom/Laundry, Lounge and Kitchen in a heritage listed house. They picked us up and dropped us to the airport. A great breakfast was included. All this for two nights at a cost less than one night in a small room.

Rendezvous Hotel Sydney Central is this the one you're talking about?

The Holiday Inn is it in Darling Harbor couldn't find it as you name it. Strangely the dates I need next Feb. for our cruise at unavailable. I'm wondering if it's just too far out yet. Hmmm?

Here you go, it's called Holiday Inn Old Sydney

http://www.ihg.com/holidayinn/hotels/gb/en/sydney/sydgs/hoteldetail?cm_mmc=GoogleMaps-_-hi-_-AUEN-_-sydgs

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Hotel_Review-g255060-d255392-Reviews-Holiday_Inn_Old_Sydney-Sydney_New_South_Wales.html

Thx I saw that one, I'll check it out. Quite a few of the others are more than I want to spend with everything else there is to spend money on, but don't want to be where you can't get around either. We'll have 3 day in Sydney, then we'll fly down to Perth and on to Fremantle.

Thx I saw that one, I'll check it out. Quite a few of the others are more than I want to spend with everything else there is to spend money on, but don't want to be where you can't get around either. We'll have 3 day in Sydney, then we'll fly down to Perth and on to Fremantle.

OPT is....?

No it's The Holiday Inn George Street The Rocks sometimes it's listed as the Old Holiday Inn, sometimes ad The Holiday Inn Old Sydney, as long as it's George St The Rocks you're right.

OPT is....?

Opt = Overseas Passenger Terminal.

Now make sure where you are departing from it can be White Bay or it can be the OPT.

They are different locations.

I think I missed something joining AirBnB????

What?? Where?

AirBnB is a site where you can seek accommodation from less traditional sources. There can be gems and bargains but you also do not have the safeguards of booking a known hotel. The link is the Australian site. Many offerings are a spare room in someone's house or you can get a flat while the owners are away. You have to read between the lines of the adverts too "An interest in alternative music and a vegan lifestyle" could be a warning sign.

Just saw this on my email. It could suit some here.

Pier one offer on Scoopon

Has anyone used a good driver to pick you up at the airport?

Where will you be going?

Many of the larger hotels will have courtesy bus which is included or for a reasonable fee.

Going into the city there is a bus which operates past the airport.

There is also an Airport Train but beware there is a fee for using the station.

When travelling for work I have caught a taxi.You can get a Uber ride too if you use that service.

Getting a private driver would probably be the most expensive option.

Taxi from International Airport to CBD is $40 to $50AUD depending on time of day. Have used bus, train and taxi and prefer taxi...direct to your door, and again depending on time of day usually not a long wait for one. Just follow the taxi signs after leaving customs. There is a traffic controller at the taxi stand so no one jumps the queue and they keeps things moving.

Has anyone used a good driver to pick you up at the airport?

Taxis are best and easiest especially with luggage unless there is only one of you travelling, then the train is best.

Edited by MicCanberra

The Airport Train is a rip-off. It will cost you half as much as a taxi for one and the same for two. It is nowhere near as convenient.

I think the last time I was in Sydney and had to drop off a Motorhome then get to the airport by bus it was about $3.40. I helped a couple who were also going to fly out when we had to change buses at a railway station. They had done their homework and knew to avoid the train. It's a pity as I prefer trains but when Howard sold the airports they ceased to be a public utility and became a license to print money.