Recommendations for hotels in Sydney

Ack! My brain is crumbling.

Where do we want to be in the city?!?!?!?!?

Check out a map. google maps or similar will do.

Tour ship will leave from Circular Quay (RCCL isn't it?).

For shopping etc you want to be. Around but not in George or Pitt Streets. Close to a train Station is good. On the map Pitt St Mall or the Queen Victoria Building (QVB) right near Town Hall.

I assume that at the lest you will want to visit some of the shopping districts and maybe a few "touristy" places while in Sydney.

If you want views you need Darling Harbour, Circular Quay Or the Rocks areas.

Most tourist type spots you will get to by train or ferry from Circular Quay (train station right there).

We don't need "views" while in Sydney, because we are doing two cruises all around New Zealand and Australia.

Any thoughts on Megaboom on York Street? That may be shaping up to be our best bet, barring any negative horror here on this thread. ;)

And we don't care about being "close" to the cruise ship terminal. We'll have to take a taxi one way or the other.

Have a look at The Grace in York Street, no views but central, or Holiday Inn the Rocks, over th road from the OPT.

Both sometimes have good deals, at other times too expensive, both also have rooms with twin beds or two doubles.

Travelodge may also be worth a look, either Philip Street or York Street again no views but central and York has rooms with two beds.

Yes, tracking the Travelodge.

Anniegb. We were all set to book on AirBnB. We received the paperwork and it said that there could be no noise at all. If there were any noise we would be asked to leave. I wrote and told him that we would be traveling around Sydney all day and we were not the type to make a lot of noise. I got a remark back with a reminder "if you make noise you will be gone". I got a little nervous because what if they considered our TV to be loud would they ask us to leave after paying. I tried to book another one and they wanted full payment in advance and a copy of our licenses and passports. There was no way I was going to pay upfront and give people all of my personal information. Be careful if you book with AirBnB.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We don't need "views" while in Sydney, because we are doing two cruises all around New Zealand and Australia.

Any thoughts on Megaboom on York Street? That may be shaping up to be our best bet, barring any negative horror here on this thread. ;)

And we don't care about being "close" to the cruise ship terminal. We'll have to take a taxi one way or the other.

I don't know Megaboom, but York Street is pretty good.

We frequently stay at the Grace on York and the Travelodge on York so I suspect it's in a reasonably good spot, not a lot of traffic noise but still close to most things including transport.

I will have a look though just where it's at.

I don't know Megaboom, but York Street is pretty good.

We frequently stay at the Grace on York and the Travelodge on York so I suspect it's in a reasonably good spot, not a lot of traffic noise but still close to most things including transport.

I will have a look though just where it's at.

It's almost next door to the Grace. (which is sold out on our dates) :)

I am SO SO SO SO excited about my first trip to Australia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope you enjoy it.

On the whole I suspect you will find us a friendly bunch and a great place to visit.

Don't hesitate to ask if you need any info.

If you want a bit more room than a hotel room try the 4.5 star Meriton Apartments in Pitt St or Kent St. They have studios and one/two bedroom partments. Staying up there for a few nights in a couple of weeks, around $200 per night.

Edited by NSWP

Anniegb. We were all set to book on AirBnB. We received the paperwork and it said that there could be no noise at all. If there were any noise we would be asked to leave. I wrote and told him that we would be traveling around Sydney all day and we were not the type to make a lot of noise. I got a remark back with a reminder "if you make noise you will be gone". I got a little nervous because what if they considered our TV to be loud would they ask us to leave after paying.

Wow, warning sign right there. Makes you wonder why some people want to list their property there!

If you want a bit more room than a hotel room try the 4.5 star Meriton Apartments in Pitt St or Kent St. They have studios and one/two bedroom partments. Staying up there for a few nights in a couple of weeks, around $200 per night.

I second that as an option, but never seem to be able to get that good a price.

I second that as an option, but never seem to be able to get that good a price.

Sometimes Meriton have their 'dynamic rate- min 3 nights - booked direct. Going up to see Georgy Girl - Seekers Musical and celebrate the boss's big 70.

Sometimes Meriton have their 'dynamic rate- min 3 nights - booked direct. Going up to see Georgy Girl - Seekers Musical and celebrate the boss's big 70.

Aha I never have three nights.

Just heard ads for Georgie Girl, sounds good wouldn't mind getting to it myself, but we do have Fawlty Toers booked, and a couple of cruises so not likely.

Hope you and the boss enjoy Uncle Les.

Aha I never have three nights.

Just heard ads for Georgie Girl, sounds good wouldn't mind getting to it myself, but we do have Fawlty Toers booked, and a couple of cruises so not likely.

Hope you and the boss enjoy Uncle Les.

Should be good, plus my son is shouting us a 5 star feed somewhere in town.

Cheers mate.

Maccas or splurging on Harry's Cafe

Surely not, the City of Sydney Rissole at least for a ye old mixed grill. Probably end up at some classy Peruvian, Argentine, Chilean or Brazilian joint, that's his go.

Excellente Senor'.

Edited by NSWP

Hi, I am a Coeliac (you say Celiac) Try Critinis part of an Italian Family restaurant chain, they are at Darling Harbour. They have many GF options on their menu. Mains around AU$25 and up. Dining in the Sydney CBD is quite expensive. Rocks and Darling Harbour are tourist areas, enough said. Venture into other parts of town. Most cafes/restaurants will have some GF options, i.e. steaks, fish, salads, GF pizzas/pasta in some places.

Dare Café is really a breakfast/lunch café in Playfair St, The Rocks, not bad but a bit basic, they have GF pancakes, bacon with maple syrup, just like the cruise ship buffets, if that is your thing.

Enjoy your visit to Sydney.

Edited by NSWP

NSWP. Thank you so much for the info. I will try Critinis. I always tell people when they come to Boston to venture outside the tourists spots also. You get better meals (where the locals eat) and a lot cheaper. I'm not a picky eater just want to make sure I don't get ill while there. I'm also Celiac. We are staying at a hotel in the Rocks area and had found Dare online.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

I'd never heard of Megaboom before, but it is just near where we often stay, so I'll have a look next time I'm there.

The rooms look about the size of most cabins on a ship, though I must say the price looks good.

York Street is a good location.

We are going on explorer of the seas on Nov 20. We are from Perth and never been to Sydney before. We are flying the red eye on the Friday night, sail out Sunday.

I've booked the YHA as it was the only non dodgy looking place I could find under $200. We wanted central so that we can walk around instead of paying for transport to look around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk