Recommendations for hotels in Sydney

G'day Mr Gut, Georgy Girl - The Seekers at ye olde State Theatre, fantastic music, singing, dancing. Best show I/we have ever seen. Princess Cruises should get them on board as the head line act.

That's good to hear - I just booked tickets for next week. :D

That's good to hear - I just booked tickets for next week. :D

Fantastic, enjoy, it is a great show. If you want a decent feed pre or post show try Zest at City Tattersalls Club, Pitt St, just around the corner from State Theatre. OR the big food court in the basement across the road from Theatre.

As Uncle Les always says, Enjoy, I know you will.

Edited by NSWP

We loved the show, Uncle Les. Talk about a blast from the past!

Even rediscovered a song I loved back then, but hadn't heard for decades - The Olive Tree.

And a couple of those mini dresses looked very familiar. OMG I used to wear those, with the white boots, and I looked good in them! Ahhh! The joys of youth. :D :D

Even rediscovered a song I loved back then, but hadn't heard for decades - The Olive Tree.

And a couple of those mini dresses looked very familiar. OMG I used to wear those, with the white boots, and I looked good in them! Ahhh! The joys of youth. :D :D

A bit like I used to wear body shirts, now I'd need a body tent,;)

Thanks again for all the tips! I've changed my thinking and will cancel the Megaboom.

I'm looking at the York or Rendezvous instead. I'll be staying 4 nights and want a little bit more room.

They are both good.

But I will still have a look at Megaboom next time I'm in Sydney, as I just don't know it at all.

For four nights it's also worth looking at some of the serviced appartments, where you will have a kitchenette and perhaps a seperate sitting area, and sometimes at a better per night price than a hotel for stays of a few nights.

They are both good.

But I will still have a look at Megaboom next time I'm in Sydney, as I just don't know it at all.

For four nights it's also worth looking at some of the serviced appartments, where you will have a kitchenette and perhaps a seperate sitting area, and sometimes at a better per night price than a hotel for stays of a few nights.

Many serviced apartments also have washing machines and dryers, which is a bonus when travelling.

Great to hear you enjoyed 'Georgy Girl.' I really liked the 'Olive Tree' as well. When we got home, had to get ye olde Seekers CD' out. I reckon the average age in the theatre was about 72, we felt like young 'uns. LOL. Were you a Go Go girl?

Next show for us might be Bobby Darin Story in Sydney, September I think it is. Booked Jersey Boys in Vegas on 13 Nov, pre cruise.

Edited by NSWP

In my thinking about it, great price at Megaboom, but then you have to find places to eat, that can get pricey. I don't have to have 3 meals a day, but a continental is good or a place with a frig where I can have some milk for cereal, buy some fruit.

Another thing is the time factor, trying to sight see, find a place to eat, take time to eat, I realized the cheaper rate might not be such a bargain after all.

Hmmm, my thought is why do for 2 people, when I can cook & do laundry for myself? :D Jersey Boys is awesome, by the way!

Edited by susancruzs

• 3 weeks later...
HI. First timer to Australia and beyond. Can anyone give me details/ info good or bad about the Best Western Stellar?

Location, view, etc

Whether or not you'd stay there.

Stayed there about a million years ago, I'm not sure what work they may have done to it since, it wasn't bad, maybe 3 or 3 1/2 stars.

Personally I wasn't a fan of the location, but I am limited in how far I can walk.

I don't think you will have a view at all, as far as I remember.

How long are you staying and where are you cruising to and/ or from?

Stayed there about a million years ago, I'm not sure what work they may have done to it since, it wasn't bad, maybe 3 or 3 1/2 stars.

Personally I wasn't a fan of the location, but I am limited in how far I can walk.

I don't think you will have a view at all, as far as I remember.

How long are you staying and where are you cruising to and/ or from?

We are staying 4 nights before we sail on the Voyager and 1 night after Voyager/before Solstice in April 2017. Voyager does primarily Fiji Islands. Solstice to NZ , Tahiti, Bora Bora and Moorea on the way to Hawaii.

We don't want to spend a fortune, but still want something nice, with a good location for seeing the sights of Sydney. We would love to see the Harbour from our room, even if we have to crane our necks to see it.

I really have a lot to learn about the area and what to see and do while there. I love any and all input/advise that you and anyone else wishes to share.

We are staying 4 nights before we sail on the Voyager and 1 night after Voyager/before Solstice in April 2017. Voyager does primarily Fiji Islands. Solstice to NZ , Tahiti, Bora Bora and Moorea on the way to Hawaii.

We don't want to spend a fortune, but still want something nice, with a good location for seeing the sights of Sydney. We would love to see the Harbour from our room, even if we have to crane our necks to see it.

I really have a lot to learn about the area and what to see and do while there. I love any and all input/advise that you and anyone else wishes to share.

I'm pretty sure both ships will leave from the Overseas Passenger Terminal at the Rocks, near Circular Quay.

No way you'll have Harbour views from there I'm afraid.

Most hotels with any Harbour views are more expensive, and I should warn you most visitors get a bit of sticker shock at how expensive Sydney is.

One not to miss is a Ferry trip on the Harbour. A few choices there, the Zoo is my favourite with some fantastic views, or over to Manly, on the North side of the Harbour for a stroll along the beach.

A visit to the Rocks area can be interesting, the birthplace of European settlement in Aus. A visit to the QVB shopping centre is appreciated by many.

Any view of the harbour is going to cost a lot of money unless perhaps you go over to North Sydney? There are a couple of hotels on that side that are about half the price of the CBD side. It is a short train trip across the bridge. Another alternative is a Darling Harbour view. The Novotel or even the Ibis are other options.

HI. First timer to Australia and beyond. Can anyone give me details/ info good or bad about the Best Western Stellar?

Location, view, etc

Whether or not you'd stay there.

Boutique hotel very close to Oxford st. No views from there.

A better location for you to consider is directly across from Hyde Park in downtown Sydney at the Hyde Park Inn Hotel. You can get a deluxe Studio (kitchenette) with views of Hyde Park and possible distant harbour views from upper floors. The standard Studio does not have views.

Very handy to most city venues and transport.

Dont confuse this hotel with the Oaks Hyde Park Plaza, not as good.

Prices go up the closer you get to the harbour.

Hugh

Checked current prices for your visit time at around $A230. You can book now through all the various sites such as TripAdvisor.

I've not stayed there myself but do people think the Holiday Inn be a good recommendation for Peacockcruises?

We stay at Holiday Inn a lot when cruising from the OPT, but unless your lucky you'll pay a lot more $350+ a day.

Yes, Sydney is very pricey. We are staying in the Travelodge next weekend as we have something Saturday night and Sunday midday and I am too idle to drive home to the Northern Beaches in between. Even that is up around the $260 mark. No views of any kind from that!

I'm searching, too staying 4 nights before my March 31st Princess cruise. I started out super cheap at the Megaboom, cancelled due to wanting more space and maybe a little frig for 4 days. Thanks to advice here I've been thinking along York is a good location and have been pricing the York and Travelodge.

My situation is different, don't have to have a view, won't walk to a pier (saving a few bucks when I'm spending thousands on a vacation doesn't make sense). I'm also not in April, no weekend days in my time frame.

City views are spectacular, I've paid big bucks in New York to overlook Central Park, in Canada to view Niagara Falls, had a room with a nice view in Rome, too! Sometimes I do it, this time I'm not! :D

Edited by susancruzs

Holiday Inn Rocks is a great location for cruises, have stayed there but IMHO overpriced at the moment. Better choices within walking distance to harbour available. Just check the booking websites then look at booking direct on hotel websites.

I'm searching, too staying 4 nights before my March 31st Princess cruise. I started out super cheap at the Megaboom, cancelled due to wanting more space and maybe a little frig for 4 days. Thanks to advice here I've been thinking along York is a good location and have been pricing the York and Travelodge.

My situation is different, don't have to have a view, won't walk to a pier (saving a few bucks when I'm spending thousands on a vacation doesn't make sense). I'm also not in April, no weekend days in my time frame.

City views are spectacular, I've paid big bucks in New York to overlook Central Park, in Canada to view Niagara Falls, had a room with a nice view in Rome, too! Sometimes I do it, this time I'm not! :D

Sydney Harbour is certainly well worth paying for the view!

Lots of great information here! We are currently booked into the Pullman Sydney Hyde Park for one night pre-New Zealand cruise and then 4 nights at the Amora Jamison Hotel between New Zealand and Australia cruises. Anyone have anything good or bad to say about these two hotels? :D

The Grace or The York both on York Street are good.

Have a look at some of the serviced appartments too, some have good pricing for 3 nights or more, you will also have a small kitchen and laundry with most of them.