Recommendations for hotels in Sydney

Need help deciding on which hotel to stay at for 3 nights pre-cruise:

Rendezvous Hotel The Rocks or The York by Swiss Belhotel.

Looks like we can walk right to the cruise ship from the Rendezvous.

The Swiss looks very nice. Taking a cab to the ship is no big deal.

At this point we're planning on walking pretty much everywhere from either hotel. Might venture out on the train if desired.

Thank you for your help:)

Edited by CruisesOnMyMind

Need help deciding on which hotel to stay at for 3 nights pre-cruise:

Rendezvous Hotel The Rocks or The York by Swiss Belhotel.

Looks like we can walk right to the cruise ship from the Rendezvous.

The Swiss looks very nice. Taking a cab to the ship is no big deal.

At this point we're planning on walking pretty much everywhere from either hotel. Might venture out on the train if desired.

Thank you for your help:)

Nothing wrong with either of those. The York is more central for your three days in the city.

If you are leaving from the OPT the Rondezvous is closer.

Rondezvous is perhaps slightly nicer hotel, but on balance I'd go the York for location. Less than $20 to the pier.

Nothing wrong with either of those. The York is more central for your three days in the city.

If you are leaving from the OPT the Rondezvous is closer.

Rondezvous is perhaps slightly nicer hotel, but on balance I'd go the York for location. Less than $20 to the pier.

Thank you for your quick reply and input.

How far is it to walk into the city from the Rendezvous if we wanted to do that?

We're not shoppers so don't need to be in a big city atmosphere for the whole time.

Thank you for your quick reply and input.

How far is it to walk into the city from the Rendezvous if we wanted to do that?

We're not shoppers so don't need to be in a big city atmosphere for the whole time.

About a kilometre or a 1/2 hour walk.

One benefit of the Rocks is that you are close to Circular Quay and the ferry terminals, and a Ferry trip to Manly or the Zoo are, in my opinion, a must.

One benefit of the Rocks is that you are close to Circular Quay and the ferry terminals, and a Ferry trip to Manly or the Zoo are, in my opinion, a must.

Perfect! The Rocks here we come:D:D

We will indeed take the Ferry to the Zoo. No idea what Manly is about but will googled it right away.

Thank you again!

Edited by CruisesOnMyMind

Perfect! The Rocks here we come:D:D

We will indeed take the Ferry to the Zoo. No idea what Manly is about but will googled it right away.

Thank you again!

Manly is a harbour side city on the North Shore a pleasant visit for lunch on the beach.

The zoo, in my opinion, is close to a must.

I always recommend the ferry across, the cable car to the top, gives you a lovely overview, then walk back down (it's pretty steep). Just check the views the giraffes get.

:confused:

According to Google it's about 300 metres.

Manly is a lovely ferry ride. Go there late afternoon so you can see the harbour in the daylight, have dinner in Manly, then catch the ferry back once it's dark to see the city lights.

Our eldest grandaughter always insists on doing this when she comes to visit us.

:confused:

According to Google it's about 300 metres.

Manly is a lovely ferry ride. Go there late afternoon so you can see the harbour in the daylight, have dinner in Manly, then catch the ferry back once it's dark to see the city lights.

Our eldest grandaughter always insists on doing this when she comes to visit us.

Rondezvous to the city, I was taking it to Martin Place.

300 would be yo Circular Quay.

Maybe I misunderstood the question, but I took it to be how far into the city. Now I admit the half hour might be a bit high, but I don't walk real quick.

Maybe I misunderstood the question, but I took it to be how far into the city. Now I admit the half hour might be a bit high, but I don't walk real quick.

You're right, I saw the earlier post about the two hotels and missed the one about walking into the main part of town.

Yes, it's over 1km to the start of Pitt St Mall. Our local buses used to stop at the QVB, now they stop at Lang Park, which is the first stop after the bridge, so I don't go into the city very often anymore. Too far to walk.

If you are booking the Rendezvous Hotel, you should use Argyle Street to walk up there from Circular Quay. We stayed at Sydney Harbour B and B the night before our last cruise and found that we had to walk up a lot of steps with our suitcases. we didn't research our route adequately.

Megaboom does have small rooms but traveling alone, I'm used to small spaces! :) The pictures remind me of the Premier Hotel I stayed at in Southampton, new, no frills, but very reasonable.

My first visit to London, 1984, stayed in a row house turned hotel, maids quarters, talk about tiny room, I was in shock! :D

My main concern is if the surrounding area is relatively safe, populated, walkable. I'm a fairly street smart, independent type, having lived most of my life in the Chicago area, cities are not an issue for me.

If you are booking the Rendezvous Hotel, you should use Argyle Street to walk up there from Circular Quay. We stayed at Sydney Harbour B and B the night before our last cruise and found that we had to walk up a lot of steps with our suitcases. we didn't research our route adequately.

Thank you for mentioning this. I have it noted now and will research the area ahead of time.

Fair crack o the whip. The Rocks is all part of the City. It is just at the northern end of it. Heaps of nice views too and close to the Opera House and the Bridge.

My vote is for the Rendesvous. much more activity in The Rocks plus late night eateries such as Pancakes in the Rocks or The Louwenbrau mit German beer:D

You're right, I saw the earlier post about the two hotels and missed the one about walking into the main part of town.

Yes, it's over 1km to the start of Pitt St Mall. Our local buses used to stop at the QVB, now they stop at Lang Park, which is the first stop after the bridge, so I don't go into the city very often anymore. Too far to walk.

Silly question, where the heck is Lang Park?

I thought they changed its name to Suncorp or something up in banana bender country, used to be a cemetery my ancestors were buried there till they dug it up to play footy.

Silly question, where the heck is Lang Park?

I thought they changed its name to Suncorp or something up in banana bender country, used to be a cemetery my ancestors were buried there till they dug it up to play footy.

When you come off the harbour bridge into York St, Lang Park is just past Grosvenor St. It's tiny but you can't miss it, it's wall-to-wall buses! It's a block and a half north of Wynyard Station. I don't know if it has another name, it's called Lang Park in the bus timetables.

A useful stop if you want to go to Circular Quay but totally useless if you want to go shopping at Myer or DJs.

This is our state government making transport better in Sydney by building a light rail down George St, so many bus routes no longer go through the city, they stop at one end or the other. :mad:

When you come off the harbour bridge into York St, Lang Park is just past Grosvenor St. It's tiny but you can't miss it, it's wall-to-wall buses! It's a block and a half north of Wynyard Station. I don't know if it has another name, it's called Lang Park in the bus timetables.

A useful stop if you want to go to Circular Quay but totally useless if you want to go shopping at Myer or DJs.

This is our state government making transport better in Sydney by building a light rail down George St, so many bus routes no longer go through the city, they stop at one end or the other. :mad:

Used to be a Krispy Kreme on the Corner?

No, you're thinking of Wynyard Park. Lang Park is about 200m north of that.

I thought that was Wynyard Park, but then I don't know the name of a lot of the spots in Slidley.

Ok I think I know the one you mean.

Be down there in a couple of weeks and will have a look.

Awful spot to get dumped. Guess it's because of the team work in George Street.

I thought that was Wynyard Park, but then I don't know the name of a lot of the spots in Slidley.

Ok I think I know the one you mean.

Be down there in a couple of weeks and will have a look.

Awful spot to get dumped. Guess it's because of the team work in George Street.

Totally useless. The bus then goes on to Barangaroo. The first homeward bus stop on Clarence St is opposite Barrack St, again a long walk from the QVB.

The only advantage of the change is if we do happen to be around Circular Quay, we can catch the ferry around to Darling Harbour (King St wharf) and the bus stop is just over the road from where the ferry stops. And that's the best place to catch the bus in the late afternoon, the queues at the two Clarence St stops are horrendous.

But as far as going into the city to shop, it's useless.

No, you're thinking of Wynyard Park. Lang Park is about 200m north of that.

On the corner of Jamison, Lang and York streets.

Very historical piece of ground where Gov Arthur Phillip built his first church St Phillips. Now on the opposite side of York st.

Those buses now go down Erskine st to the King St Wharf area and clog up the roads down there before heading gack north.

Those buses now go down Erskine st to the King St Wharf area and clog up the roads down there before heading gack north.

They go down Erskine, turn left into Sussex St, right into King St and right into Lime St where passenger alight. The buses wait there then turn right into Erskine St to pick up passengers. Then they turn right into Sussex, following the path of the incoming buses at that point, but turn left into King and left again into Clarence.

There are buses going all over the place. Add in all the tour buses that also go along Lime St / Erskine St, and the HoHo bus, and that part of the city is a bus nightmare.

It's totally crazy, and it doesn't take the passengers on those routes anywhere near where most of them want to go any more. :mad::mad::mad:

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

How was the show?

G'day Mr Gut, Georgy Girl - The Seekers at ye olde State Theatre, fantastic music, singing, dancing. Best show I/we have ever seen. Princess Cruises should get them on board as the head line act.

Also went to City Tatts Club..Zest Restaurant for dinner, highly recommended for cruisers not wanting to get ripped off.

(Son took us to Din din at the O Bar, Level 47Australia Square Tower, (ye olde Summit) you don't want to know the Jack and Jill old son, ginormous.) The boss also got an Antarctic Flight on a Qantas 747 from the lad.

***Warning for cruisers staying in the city pre/post cruise, City is chaos due to light rail construction in George St.

Edited by NSWP

G'day Mr Gut, Georgy Girl - The Seekers at ye olde State Theatre, fantastic music, singing, dancing. Best show I/we have ever seen. Princess Cruises should get them on board as the head line act.

Also went to City Tatts Club..Zest Restaurant for dinner, highly recommended for cruisers not wanting to get ripped off.

(Son took us to Din din at the O Bar, Level 47Australia Square Tower, (ye olde Summit) you don't want to know the Jack and Jill old son, ginormous.) The boss also got an Antarctic Flight on a Qantas 747 from the lad.

***Warning for cruisers staying in the city pre/post cruise, City is chaos due to light rail construction in George St.

Gday Uncle Les.

Sounds pretty good. Hope the lad took care of that Duck's for ya.

Last time I ate at Australia Square it was Ye Olde Revolting restaurant.

We're still putting off booking anything for after our night at Farty Owls in August till we have a better idea how George Street is by then, may be easier to come home than to get from Theatre Company back in to the city:eek:.

Lovely pressie for the boss, does the old man get to go or does he have to arrange his own.