Newest Koningsdam Pictures

InTheWASide

This is the Crew's tub and area. Immediately below is the Officer's Lounge and Crew Meeting Room and Crew Promenade around the bow.

In Today's Update from Captain Albert he did state that the Crew had their own Jacuzzi forward. I agree that this area is for Crew Only.

That is the way it is for other lines such as NCL.

http://www.hollandamericablog.com/2016/03/20/20-march-2016-marghera-italy/

this carpet is beautiful and I've been impressed with the carpets overall on this ship (something I never thought I would say about HAL ships... the carpets are usually hideous at best)

blog-corr-carpet-tulips.jpg

Agree. Never thought I'd say that carpet makes all that much of a differerence, but it really can.

- Joel

this carpet is beautiful and I've been impressed with the carpets overall on this ship (something I never thought I would say about HAL ships... the carpets are usually hideous at best)

blog-corr-carpet-tulips.jpg

Hard to see how the image is made into the carpet? Looks as if the tulips are 'cut outs'? Or just woven into the pattern?

I stumbled across a few pictures of some art that was just installed on the ship. It's gorgeous. Now the question just becomes where is it going? My guess is Tamarind.

f8eeab7d12c80a4d7649e2ff79f4ac58.jpg

b5bbe45631bd96ed6c7d581c26f8174e.jpg

697584ef54362faf581f717c27c2588c.jpg

Turns out these are in the Pinnacle Grill!

Also Captain Albert posted today Sel de Mar will be a la carte and fish will be sourced locally at each port.

Turns out these are in the Pinnacle Grill!

Also Captain Albert posted today Sel de Mar will be a la carte and fish will be sourced locally at each port.

I saw that too. Pinnacle does make sense as the color scheme is mostly browns and blues.

The a la carte rumor/discussion for Sel de Mer (as it was listed in a couple places) had been around for a while but good to finally have a confirmation of what the plan is.

what do they mean by a la carte in terms of ship dining?

you have to pay per dish?

Aren't the mdr and specialty restaurants a la carte but at a fixed price? The koningsdam website suggested it would work the same way... although you may be able to choose your fish from a display. "Available at a modest charge"

Confused

what do they mean by a la carte in terms of ship dining?

you have to pay per dish?

Aren't the mdr and specialty restaurants a la carte but at a fixed price? The koningsdam website suggested it would work the same way... although you may be able to choose your fish from a display. "Available at a modest charge"

Confused

A la carte means it's not a single all-inclusive price (like for instance Tamarind). It means each item has its own price.

MDR is no extra charge whatsoever, Pinnacle is inclusive (they do offer a few upsell items).

A la carte means it's not a single all-inclusive price (like for instance Tamarind). It means each item has its own price.

MDR is no extra charge whatsoever, Pinnacle is inclusive (they do offer a few upsell items).

So that is a change to what was implied on the website. Sounds like it could be an expensive option.

Do other cruise lines have similarly priced restaurants?

Will likely still try it haha

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

So that is a change to what was implied on the website. Sounds like it could be an expensive option.

Do other cruise lines have similarly priced restaurants?

Will likely still try it haha

RCCL, NCL and Cunard all have a la care dining options immediately off the top of my head.

RCCL, NCL and Cunard all have a la care dining options immediately off the top of my head.

Interesting, what kind of prices per course on average?

Do they tend to be of a higher standard than fixed price specialty restaurants?

Interesting, what kind of prices per course on average?

Do they tend to be of a higher standard than fixed price specialty restaurants?

Obviously different brands can go about it differently, but here is Cagney's (steakhouse, like Pinnacle Grill) on Norwegian Escape.

Cagney's used to be a flat fee. $29.95 I believe.

This is what they are doing now and implemented fleetwide:

http://www.beyondships2.com/uploads/8/2/4/5/8245255/30967_cagneys_escape_dinner_menu.pdf

Whether the price is higher or lower just depends on how much you want to order. I don't fully agree with the way they do things with NCL's pricing ($4 for the world's most basic caesar?! They can't even throw in a dessert for free?!) but this is how they've chosen to do it.

Thanks for the example, I think that is a shame.

On our X cruise we did the specialty restaurants and they did not limit you, if you wanted to try 2 mains then go for it.

Will be interesting to see if it's popular.

Looks like the beginning of a change to how specialty restaurants will look in the future .

The rooms are starting to look almost complete

blog-ocean-bar-and-lounge.jpg

blog-finally-wide-open-spaces.jpg

blog-din-sculpture.jpg

Atrium Deck 3 - Capt Albert admits it's not this blue in reality

blog-colors-atrium.jpg

His comments on this one

What also came on and is currently being tested is the ambient lighting of the Atrium. During the day the colors reflected by the central sculpture will slowly change reflecting the mood of the day. As I am not a professional photographer, the lights came out much more blue than in reality. It really looks very subtle.

Obviously different brands can go about it differently, but here is Cagney's (steakhouse, like Pinnacle Grill) on Norwegian Escape.

Cagney's used to be a flat fee. $29.95 I believe.

This is what they are doing now and implemented fleetwide:

http://www.beyondships2.com/uploads/8/2/4/5/8245255/30967_cagneys_escape_dinner_menu.pdf

Whether the price is higher or lower just depends on how much you want to order. I don't fully agree with the way they do things with NCL's pricing ($4 for the world's most basic caesar?! They can't even throw in a dessert for free?!) but this is how they've chosen to do it.

Thanks for providing this example. I am saddened that HAL has chosen to take this approach. I do not like a la carte pricing on cruise ships as I see it as the next step to your ticket purchase being for your cabin only.

Thanks for the example, I think that is a shame.

On our X cruise we did the specialty restaurants and they did not limit you, if you wanted to try 2 mains then go for it.

Will be interesting to see if it's popular.

Looks like the beginning of a change to how specialty restaurants will look in the future .

Celebrity's new sushi restaurant is a la carte. I have no issue with that. We're not dessert eaters, I'd rather pay for what I eat just like a nomal restaurant.

Thanks for posting the wonderful pictures!

As someone who has had a "like-affair" with HAL for over 20 years (like a love affair but not nearly as dirty or committed ....), I am THRILLED to see the photos of Koningsdam.

I really feel that the image that HAL tries to project versus the reality that exists has been severely compromised by the extreme uglitude (it's CruiseCritic ... if bad spelling is allowed (room Stewarts ... really?), so are made up words ....), horrific colour schemes, carpets that look like someone ate Skittles, threw up, had the result photographed and then had it custom woven into a carpet and furniture that managed to be both ugly and uncomfortable and other design disasters.

This ship is looking like what I always wanted a HAL ship to look like .... contemporary, elegant, not too flashy but with nods to its long history.

Can't wait!!!