wallet stolen night before cruise boarding with no id??

Karma_

Maybe not the exact thing this topic is about but here is a real life story as to what a photocopy of a passport will get you.

My family's first cruise in October on Carnival Cruise Line and we had left the ship for port in Cozumel. My wife had left her purse and id in the safe on the ship. I was carrying the credit cards and cash on me The only thing she had was her Sign n Sail card*. Each one of us used our cards to get off the ship, but boarding back on the ship they wanted our sail cards and adults need photo id. It was our first cruise and thought if we got off with just our card we could get back on. They were willing to let me go on the ship and get her id. I had my 2 girls with me on the way back to the ship I was placing some gifts in my backpack. Upon opening my back pack I saw the photocopies of all 4 passports. I turned back around and she was able to use it to get on the ship. She did have to answer a few questions about me and my drivers license.

TLDR: Wife used a photo copy of a passport to get back on our ship in Mexico

I forgot my driver's license once. Fortunately one of my credit cards had my picture on it. I used that.

I've asked this twice during question and answer periods on two different ships. One said yes, they do go to the safe and search for your passport.

The other said not, too much liability.

At some point they are going to have to empty out the safe. What difference if it is when the passenger misses the ship or days later?

I've asked this twice during question and answer periods on two different ships. One said yes, they do go to the safe and search for your passport.

The other said not, too much liability.

just came off a carnival ship where the family down the hall in a suite....man, woman, 2 kids.....missed the boat at one of the ports. security most definitely did go into their safe and gave the documents to the shore security then came back and started cataloging and bagging all of the personal possessions to be taken off at the embarkation port. wished i had asked them if i could have had the suite for the last 3 nights since it was now vacant. ;) :D

At some point they are going to have to empty out the safe. What difference if it is when the passenger misses the ship or days later?

The difference is, what happens if the passenger shows up at the home port and the cruise line doesn't have any of the passenger's stuff?

just came off a carnival ship where the family down the hall in a suite....man, woman, 2 kids.....missed the boat at one of the ports. security most definitely did go into their safe and gave the documents to the shore security then came back and started cataloging and bagging all of the personal possessions to be taken off at the embarkation port. wished i had asked them if i could have had the suite for the last 3 nights since it was now vacant. ;) :D

Well, it was the CD on Carnival that said yes and it was the Captain on Royal Caribbean that said no.

The difference is, what happens if the passenger shows up at the home port and the cruise line doesn't have any of the passenger's stuff?

Who says they don't have any of the passengers stuff? They are going to have someone pack it all up at some point. To think they are just going to leave it sitting there until disembarkation waiting for the passengers to show up and pack it at disembarkation is naive.

Now, I have no idea if they open safes if the passengers miss the cruise or not, but to have security open it at that time is not a huge liability risk versus doing it later in the cruise. Now yes, if they open the safe, give passports to the port agent and the passenger doesn't go get them, then obviously they won't have their original passports again.

There is a risk anyway it goes. Don't open the safe, and you won't be able to give the passengers their passport and cash. Open the safe and they don't go back to the port (unlikely) then it won't be there if/when they show up at the home port.

passengers can't catch up to the ship if they don't have the documentation to get to the ship.
They may have documentation on them, or obtain new documentation. And in some cases they may need no documentation at all to travel to the next port (if it's in the same country or free travel zone).

There is a risk anyway it goes.
I agree, which is why I think the ship should do nothing at all, unless they are in contact with the passengers. There are lots of things they could do on their own initiative to try to help, but if the passengers don't know about these helpful efforts, it can easily end up backfiring and making the situation worse and not better.

Who says they don't have any of the passengers stuff? They are going to have someone pack it all up at some point. To think they are just going to leave it sitting there until disembarkation waiting for the passengers to show up and pack it at disembarkation is naive.

Now, I have no idea if they open safes if the passengers miss the cruise or not, but to have security open it at that time is not a huge liability risk versus doing it later in the cruise. Now yes, if they open the safe, give passports to the port agent and the passenger doesn't go get them, then obviously they won't have their original passports again.

There is a risk anyway it goes. Don't open the safe, and you won't be able to give the passengers their passport and cash. Open the safe and they don't go back to the port (unlikely) then it won't be there if/when they show up at the home port.

It is the cruise line's choice - not yours.

OK, once in St. Maartin we had a terrible un-official taxi (long story) and got caught in a monster traffic jam. I was terrified we were going to miss the ship. I had our passports and credit cards with us so at least realized we could fly back to Miami. Not our home but where our car was parked. But then I realized my car keys were in a purse in our stateroom and my Rolex was in our safe.

Again, it makes me wonder what Carnival would have done with my belongings in St. Maartin.

Since that fateful day the car keys are always with me and I don't leave anything in the safe that I'd care about losing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Just a couple of musings based on some stuff posted earlier in the thread not directly related to OP's dilemma.

I got through airport security once with my Costco card. Not sure it would work today but I was surprised how much discretion they had. I almost didn't try.

If you're a US citizen and not deliberately off the grid, you will probably be able to get in at most border stations eventually. The number of people who show up voluntarily at immigration stations without documents claiming falsely to be US citizens without documents is virtually zero. It would be an incredibly stupid thing to do. You will almost certainly get caught and charged with one or multiple felonies depending on how you answer questions. (People trying to pass phony documents or to use others' documents is relatively much more common.) They know this and so will work with you to try to establish your citizenship. It's getting a carrier to bring you to the border that is more difficult since they often will be responsible for returning you if you cannot get through. But once you get there, if you're legitimately a citizen and prepared to answer every question honestly, you'll get through eventually.