wallet stolen night before cruise boarding with no id??

Karma_

These boards are full of posts in which Americans expect that, so long as they are only visiting Mexico, Canada, the Bahamas or Bermuda or a combination of these, that a passport is not necessary.

They forget that you cannot fly without one. They just think that they will never miss the boat nor get injured.

We expect it because our government allows it, we realize that the risk of missing the ship or getting injured is very slight, and we are comfortable with assuming that risk knowing that our government will help us return

Being from New Zealand and having been born in England I have two passports. I am unable to enter any c.ountry, including those two, without showing one or other passport. It depends on the country I am entering which one I use.

I agree with Rochelle that anyone going cross border between any two countries should be required to carry a passport.

Mike

Our government has determined that a US citizen traveling on a closed loop cruise presents a very low risk to the national security and therefore enacted the closed loop exception. Fact is that every traveler has different travel needs regarding what documentation one needs and that more than anything else should dictate what each traveler chooses.

OP, as suggested if you show up with a police report and a photocopy of your ID you may be allowed to board but at this juncture you are left with little choice. I wish you luck.

I hope we hear back from the OP, but their chances are not great… :( It's up to NCL who gets to board, but if they allow someone to embark and it turns out that they don't have sufficient documents upon disembarkation (and a photocopy of your ID is definitely insufficient), the cruise line is in for a hefty fine, or worse. So if anything they will err on the side of requiring more documents for boarding than absolutely necessary according to the authorities.

I hope we hear back from the OP, but their chances are not great… :( It's up to NCL who gets to board ..........

The people who check you in at the port are not NCL personnel but are port authority personnel.

Are you saying your drivers license was in your wallet when it was stolen?

I'm curious as to why you would also have a color copy of your DL?

I alway travel with color copies of DL, passport, and credit cards for just this reason.

I alway travel with color copies of DL, passport, and credit cards for just this reason.

For what purpose?

We see this type of post all the time, but I never see a post saying "I used my color-copy passport to board the ship."

I'm just not certain what a copy of a DL does for anyone.

The OP is in a rather unique position to to crush this copy of DL/passport nonsense once and for all. I hope they return to update the situation.

The people who check you in at the port are not NCL personnel but are port authority personnel.
They are not NCL personnel, but they are not CBP agents, either. They are following NCL's instructions as far as check-in procedures are concerned. But NCL's instructions are more stringent than CBP's requirements, for the reasons I suggested above, and also because they have to take into account the entry requirements for all the countries that the cruise visits.

For what purpose?

We see this type of post all the time, but I never see a post saying "I used my color-copy passport to board the ship."

The OP is in a rather unique position to to crush this copy of DL/passport nonsense once and for all. I hope they return to update the situation.

I do it so if my wallet or purse is ever stolen it is easier to replace them. As someone who was not born in the US but travels with a US passport it could come in handy when trying to get help while overseas.

It is also recommended by the state department.

Once again, I shall trumpet the value of a U.S. Passport Card as a secondary form of ID. While it's true it has limited uses in regards to flying, etc., the fact remains that this is a second form of valid, government issue ID that you can keep locked in a safe along with your passport, that can be easily carried and used in an emergency. This ID is also what I carry in foreign ports such as most Caribbean ones when I disembark. I carry that ID, my ship card, and 1 credit card. Everything else stays back in the room safe. I only bring my passport if it's mandatory. I'm hoping that since the OP has his birth certificate that he will be allowed to board. I cannot understand the stubbornness of some folks in regards to getting a passport. It's not that expensive, it's not that difficult, and it's excellent to have. And pay the extra $ for the passport card because it is good to have it. No offense intended here and I hope haven't said anything to set anyone off! :)

Edited by bobg529

They are NCL personnel - perhaps not full time, because they may work for other lines as well, but when they check you in, they are acting for the cruise line, and not for the port authority.

Once again, I shall trumpet the value of a U.S. Passport Card as a secondary form of ID. While it's true it has limited uses in regards to flying, etc., the fact remains that this is a second form of valid, government issue ID that you can keep locked in a safe along with your passport, that can be easily carried and used in an emergency. This ID is also what I carry in foreign ports such as most Caribbean ones when I disembark. I carry that ID, my ship card, and 1 credit card. Everything else stays back in the room safe. I only bring my passport if it's mandatory. I'm hoping that since the OP has his birth certificate that he will be allowed to board. I cannot understand the stubbornness of some folks in regards to getting a passport. It's not that expensive, it's not that difficult, and it's excellent to have. And pay the extra $ for the passport card because it is good to have it. No offense intended here and I hope haven't said anything to set anyone off! :)

That is what we carry also. Everyone has me concerned about that choice though bc you can not fly with it. And if you missed your ship, I am assuming I would need to fly somewhere.

I am very curious about your comments and how you define "little trouble"?

I think Mike's comments were very much how the situation would play out in the case of an emergency. It is not foreign governments who would be making things difficult for an American citizen. It is the US government that has all the barriers in place for anyone entering the United States without proper and acceptable identification.

Frankly I wish it would become mandatory for anyone and entering the country to have a passport. I cannot understand why the government of my own country continues to let Americans on cruise ships to enter our country without a passport. And that is not a knock against Americans whatsoever. Let's just have some consistency here. Under no circumstances can I enter the Us without being fully vetted as someone who frequently crosses the border and have a card to show that or I have a passport. The exact same rules should apply to anyone and everyone entering my country.

To the OP, as someone mentioned make a report to the police. I had my wallet stolen years ago a week before I was going on y, the police report I was given was very helpful for expediting all sorts of steps I needed when getting new ID issued, financial concerns and even at the airport, especially on my return.

I wish you luck and hope you are still able to take your cruise.

Rochelle

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

The US Government is required to allow US citizens into the USA with or without proper documentation. It is illegal for them to not allow a US citizen into the country. The situation I"m sure occurs every single day with people misplacing or losing their passport / passport card, etc. There is an inconvenience factor it's not like you won't get back into the country.

The US Government is required to allow US citizens into the USA with or without proper documentation. It is illegal for them to not allow a US citizen into the country. The situation I"m sure occurs every single day with people misplacing or losing their passport / passport card, etc. There is an inconvenience factor it's not like you won't get back into the country.

While that is true the cruise line would/could still face sanctions including fines for allowing a passenger to board that didn't have the required documentation (as opposed say to the passenger that has their wallet stolen at the last port of call).

You are right - but the US government is NOT required to allow in anyone who just SAYS he is a US citizen but has no way of demonstrating it. You always want to have some way of at least starting the process of obtaining the means of getting the necessary documentation - that is why copies of documentation, carried separately, is helpful.

If you don't have the proper documentation, how can you prove you're a US citizen? The government doesn't accept "because I say so" as a valid form of ID. Having copies of all your documents helps immensely, though copies obviously don't replace the originals. It gives you a good place to start, though.

This is yet another reason why having a passport/passport card is so important even on a closed loop cruise!

For what purpose?

Having a color photocopy makes it a LOT easier to obtain replacement documents abroad, should the need arise. We travel with a color copy and leave one at home with our emergency contact.

Having a color photocopy makes it a LOT easier to obtain replacement documents abroad, should the need arise.

And we know this, how, exactly?

Yes, the State Department recommends carrying copies, but they don't make clear what one is supposed to do with them or what they are good for.

I get it. It doesn't hurt to have them. But I'm asking if anyone has ever used a copy of a DL/passport to actually get anything done besides sleeping a little better. Board a plane? Cross a border? Get on a ship? Train?

If someone is at an embassy/consulate because they've gone and lost their goddamn passport, one would figure that the embassy/consulate would have the ability to verify the identity of the individual with or without the copy. I mean, they would have to verify the copy, right? Certainly, they could do the same with information provided verbally. I would imagine the same would apply at a border crossing into the US.

If a color photo copy actually gets something useful done, I can think of a few groups of people who would be interested in a copy of Photoshop and a color printer.

And we know this, how, exactly?

Yes, the State Department recommends carrying copies, but they don't make clear what one is supposed to do with them or what they are good for.

I get it. It doesn't hurt to have them. But I'm asking if anyone has ever used a copy of a DL/passport to actually get anything done besides sleeping a little better. Board a plane? Cross a border? Get on a ship? Train?

If someone is at an embassy/consulate because they've gone and lost their goddamn passport, one would figure that the embassy/consulate would have the ability to verify the identity of the individual with or without the copy. I mean, they would have to verify the copy, right? Certainly, they could do the same with information provided verbally. I would imagine the same would apply at a border crossing into the US.

If a color photo copy actually gets something useful done, I can think of a few groups of people who would be interested in a copy of Photoshop and a color printer.

Based on what I have been told by the passport office:

If you have a color photocopy of your passport when reporting to a foreign embassy it expedites the research process for issuing a new document. I am not sure exactly what the ins and outs of that are, but I have been told by several people in different positions that this is the case, and that they advise that you travel with a color photocopy in a separate location from your passport. I choose to do what is recommended no the off chance I ever need it.

Based on what I have been told by the passport office:

If you have a color photocopy of your passport when reporting to a foreign embassy it expedites the research process for issuing a new document. I am not sure exactly what the ins and outs of that are, but I have been told by several people in different positions that this is the case, and that they advise that you travel with a color photocopy in a separate location from your passport. I choose to do what is recommended no the off chance I ever need it.

Right. I agree with that. It doesn't hurt to have, and could make things easier. But that's not the same as:

Having a color photocopy makes it a LOT easier to obtain replacement documents abroad.

That's all I'm saying.

Right. I agree with that. It doesn't hurt to have, and could make things easier. But that's not the same as:

That's all I'm saying.

But doesn't expediting the research process make it easier to obtain the document? I think it does.

But doesn't expediting the research process make it easier to obtain the document? I think it does.

From someone with firsthand experience. Having a color photocopy of a passport shortened the time to replace it. The representative at the consulate said it would have taken up to a full day possibly 2, with the photocopy it was much easier only a matter of hours. Yes, the color photocopy is useful in replacing the passport. I now never leave on an international trip cruise or land without a digital copy, a physical copy and one at home with family or friends just in case.

My point is that people tend to float this color photocopy idea as gospel that will save the day when they have zero experience with it beyond stuffing the copies into their bag.

You said yourself that you do not know to what degree a copy would expedite the process. Therefore, the value and usefulness of the copy is questionable, at best.

Again, it's not a bad idea. They are not going to blow the barn doors open because someone shows up with a crinkled up copy of their passport. it seems unreasonable to think that a copy will get you on the next flight out of town -- or in the case of this particular thread, onto a departing ship. This is what I was originally responding to. A poster indicated that "this is why" they carry copies of "DLs and passport". The copy will do nothing to get this person onto a ship. Period.