wallet stolen night before cruise boarding with no id??

Karma_

My point is that people tend to float this color photocopy idea as gospel that will save the day when they have zero experience with it beyond stuffing the copies into their bag.

You said yourself that you do not know to what degree a copy would expedite the process. Therefore, the value and usefulness of the copy is questionable, at best.

Again, it's not a bad idea. They are not going to blow the barn doors open because someone shows up with a crinkled up copy of their passport. it seems unreasonable to think that a copy will get you on the next flight out of town -- or in the case of this particular thread, onto a departing ship. This is what I was originally responding to. A poster indicated that "this is why" they carry copies of "DLs and passport". The copy will do nothing to get this person onto a ship. Period.

See the post above yours. It might not get you back on the ship, but it will get you home faster.

If having a photocopy of the passport would expedite getting reissued a new passport, then simply having the passport number would likely expedite just as much.

At least with the photocopy they can tell it's actually you as soon as you hand it to them since your picture's on it. Whereas if I just quoted them a passport number it could belong to Joe Blow until they start checking into it.

And we know this, how, exactly?

Yes, the State Department recommends carrying copies, but they don't make clear what one is supposed to do with them or what they are good for.

The copy contains the passport number, which few people are likely to remember.

I get it. It doesn't hurt to have them. But I'm asking if anyone has ever used a copy of a DL/passport to actually get anything done besides sleeping a little better. Board a plane? Cross a border? Get on a ship? Train?

Of course it does not get you across a border, but if it expedites the replacement process by as little as an hour, it is actually getting something done.

If someone is at an embassy/consulate because they've gone and lost their goddamn passport, one would figure that the embassy/consulate would have the ability to verify the identity of the individual with or without the copy. I mean, they would have to verify the copy, right? Certainly, they could do the same with information provided verbally. I would imagine the same would apply at a border crossing into the US.

Again, few people can credibly describe their physical appearance the way a copy of their passport photo would - or even remember the passport number.

If a color photo copy actually gets something useful done, I can think of a few groups of people who would be interested in a copy of Photoshop and a color printer.

It really does not take much imagination to see the benefit of having a photocopy of your passport.

At least with the photocopy they can tell it's actually you as soon as you hand it to them since your picture's on it. Whereas if I just quoted them a passport number it could belong to Joe Blow until they start checking into it.

Because they have full access to the database with *all* of the information, including the photo. The passport number itself, ties all of this information together.

Oh, don't be so logical.....it messes with the resident contrarians ;-)

I carry a copy of the person's passport (or other ID) I am traveling with and they have a copy of mine. Why? Years ago a passport agent said it was a good idea. It only was needed one time in many years, but it was well worth it.

It really does not take much imagination to see the benefit of having a photocopy of your passport.

At first I thought this post was a joke.

Do you not realize they can access all that info in their system based on your number? They couldn't care less what photo appears on that stupid piece of paper you are holding. They are going to look at you, and look at the identifying info in the system.

It wasn't a cruise but DH did lose his wallet in Disneyland and we were scheduled to fly 2 days later to Hawaii. I was prepared to go without him (once in a life time trip) and have him drive across country to get home if he was denied boarding by the TSA. The combo of color copy of passport, health insurance card and credit card were sufficient for the TSA but he did spend 2 day fretting that his boarding would be denied. Now no worries on the way home. We just would have had to had to stay in Hawaii.

It wasn't a cruise but DH did lose his wallet in Disneyland and we were scheduled to fly 2 days later to Hawaii. I was prepared to go without him (once in a life time trip) and have him drive across country to get home if he was denied boarding by the TSA. The combo of color copy of passport' date=' health insurance card and credit card were sufficient for the TSA but he did spend 2 day fretting that his boarding would be denied. Now no worries on the way home. We just would have had to had to stay in Hawaii.[/quote']

You do you realize that Disneyland and Hawaii are in the same country, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I want to hear from OP, too! Hopefully, no news is good news.

But I also wonder if OP had enough cash or a credit card to give to NCL as required. Or was he traveling with someone who could/would do this for him?

Just this week, a friend just returning from 10 days in Europe told me the story of having her passport stolen on the train her first day over there. She went to the American Embassy to get a new passport. She was looking at an all-day process, but as soon as she told them she had a copy of the passport on her phone, they said OK, come on in, we can get this going right now. She still had to go to the local police department and have a police report done, but without the copy of her passport, things would have taken a lot longer. She now has a "file" with Interpol! But it's a good thing, because as soon as someone tries to use her old passport, it will be flagged as stolen and they can do their thing, whatever the process might be.

As an aside, this is the latest scam in Europe: "fake" officials on trains asking for your passport, then they hand it off to someone behind them. When asked, they then say they gave it back to you. My friend told me that she honestly doesn't remember, in all the flurry to provide that and Eurailpass.

You do you realize that Disneyland and Hawaii are in the same country, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

One needs a photo ID to board a plane, but there are procedures to use if for some reason the passenger doesn't have one (like the previous poster losing the wallet before the flight). Having photocopies in that situation is probably helped quite a bit.

Several years ago, we went to Mexico with some friends. One of the guys left his wallet in a cab accidentally. We were young and stupid and didn't have copies of ANYTHING. When we got to the airport to fly home, we weren't sure how it was going to work out. They took him aside and into a separate room. The rest of us went on. He actually made it through security faster than us! Of course all of this was before 9/11.

My wallet was stolen an hour ago supposed to be boarding in the morning. The only documents I have are my social security card birth certificate marriage certificate and a color photocopy of my drivers license. I know the rules but any chance they let me slip by and get on the boat?

Thanks

Doesn't this post sound amazingly calm for someone just having a wallet stolen one hour prior? I'd be freaking out with police reporting and notifying credit card companies. Can't tell much about the poster because he's only posted 8 times.

Doesn't this post sound amazingly calm for someone just having a wallet stolen one hour prior? I'd be freaking out with police reporting and notifying credit card companies. Can't tell much about the poster because he's only posted 8 times.

It's the internet, anything is possible. In spite of that there have been some good tips posted in this thread that might benefit someone, so it's not a total loss.

I think you have something - I am inclined to think OP simply wanted to start a "conversation"; as a number of vanishing OP's do.

Hopefully he'll get back to us, he's on Getaway due back tomorrow. I guess he got on the ship.

If you are right about "he's on Getaway" , we do not really need him to get back to us - except to tell HOW he was able to identify himself.

But, how do you know that he's on Getaway?

I think you have something - I am inclined to think OP simply wanted to start a "conversation"; as a number of vanishing OP's do.

..or maybe he's enjoying his vacation and not glued to his phone or computer to post on cruise critic???

:p