wallet stolen night before cruise boarding with no id??

Karma_

I've often wondered about this as well. And I've never heard a first hand verification. For example, let's say you had your passport with you on your shore excursion but for whatever reason you missed reboarding at one port and planned to simply fly to the next port to rejoin the ship. If they open your safe and pack up your jewelry and valuables and give them to the port authority and you rejoin the ship what then?

Actually that's not a correct statement! The cost is higher only if an applicant ...

... chooses to get both a passport book and a passport card.

... chooses expedited processing.

... chooses overnight delivery.

If you only want a passport and use standard handling and standard mailing you'll have a new passport in six weeks or less for $110. Not a penny more. Not a penny less. Just head to the US State Department's web site; the costs are clearly stated.

I renewed my passport in January 2016 and I had my document in my hands in 8 business days for the lowest price: book only, standard processing, and standard mailing. (Technically, it took 16 business days; however, 8 of those were related to the mail getting grounded after the January 24 blizzard. I know the date my passport hit the National Passport Center post office box in Philadelphia; eight days after it was placed in that P.O. box, my mail included my renewed passport. Admittedly, there are fewer applications being processed in the winter than in the spring or summer, but even 16 business days is lighting fast having paid nothing extra for special handling.

Passport Costs:

Passport Book $110 (Valid for all international travel)

Passport Card $30 (Valid only for return to the U.S. by land or sea from Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, and the Caribbean)

Passport Book & Card $140 (Apply for both documents at the same time)

Standard processing: No charge.

Standard shipping: No charge.

actually, this is incorrect and the cost will vary for each person as one has to supply the photos for the passport which can be anywhere from 10 to 25 dollars per passport based on where you live and where you go to have them done.

actually, this is incorrect and the cost will vary for each person as one has to supply the photos for the passport which can be anywhere from 10 to 25 dollars per passport based on where you live and where you go to have them done.

And why would the additional cost of up to $25 for photos be a problem for anyone that can afford to be on a cruise? Are there that many passengers who are barely able to pay the cruise fare, tips and nothing else? :confused:

And why would the additional cost of up to $25 for photos be a problem for anyone that can afford to be on a cruise? Are there that many passengers who are barely able to pay the cruise fare, tips and nothing else? :confused:

to me, its not. was simply pointing out that the poster claiming a passport costs everyone 110 dollars is incorrect.

It all adds up for larger families. When we first looked at cruising the cost to obtain passports for the 7 of us was in the area of $850 and three of those passports would have only been valid for 5 years (back then State gave a little bit of a break to those under 16). We performed our due diligence and decided since the passports weren't actually needed we would wait until the day that we did need them for the travel we were undertaking. It's not a one size fits all question as everyone has different needs.

I'm going to stand by my original price list.

If you go to the link (below) on the US Department of State's web site, the text recommends that applicants use a "professional visa photo service," but, in reality, do-it-yourself photograph are wholly acceptable as long as they meet the clearly stated requirements. The professional photo folks may seem to have a huge advantage because they have a machine with the template superimposed on the image. However, in this era of computers, there are at least two web sites that provide free templates. Best of all, on one of the two linked pages, the US Department of State provides a template that lets you upload an existing digital image and manipulate it to comply with the size regulations. Just look in the upper right hand corner of the text to find the box titled "Already Have a Photo?" This is a free service.

https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/general/photos.html

The Department of State provides plenty of examples of acceptable and unacceptable photos for people who will be doing their images DIY. Go to ...

https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/general/photos/photo-page.html

As an aside, my husband and I had our passport photos taken at our local Walgreens, but I used the knowledge I had gained from looking at the samples to double-check the process. For example, the Walgreens photographer was pleased with my husband's photo, but I could see it would fail. It had what the Passport Office examples declared was excessive shine (AKA hot spots) on the top of his bald head. When I pointed out the problem, the Walgreens photographer took another photo.

Bottom line: If you're on the fence about needing a passport and want to keep the costs down, read the directions, look at the samples, and do your own photograph for free.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

My wallet was stolen an hour ago supposed to be boarding in the morning. The only documents I have are my social security card birth certificate marriage certificate and a color photocopy of my drivers license. I know the rules but any chance they let me slip by and get on the boat?

Thanks

That happened to a friend a few years ago on an RCCL ship and they let her on no problem. She had a copy of her license and her birth certificate. I'm praying for favor for you. So sorry about the theft!😔

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

If you go to the link (below) on the US Department of State's web site, the text recommends that applicants use a "professional visa photo service," but, in reality, do-it-yourself photograph are wholly acceptable as long as they meet the clearly stated requirements. The professional photo folks may seem to have a huge advantage because they have a machine with the template superimposed on the image. However, in this era of computers, there are at least two web sites that provide free templates. Best of all, on one of the two linked pages, the US Department of State provides a template that lets you upload an existing digital image and manipulate it to comply with the size regulations. Just look in the upper right hand corner of the text to find the box titled "Already Have a Photo?" This is a free service.

The Department of State provides plenty of examples of acceptable and unacceptable photos for people who will be doing their images DIY. Go to ...

As an aside, my husband and I had our passport photos taken at our local Walgreens, but I used the knowledge I had gained from looking at the samples to double-check the process. For example, the Walgreens photographer was pleased with my husband's photo, but I could see it would fail. It had what the Passport Office examples declared was excessive shine (AKA hot spots) on the top of his bald head. When I pointed out the problem, the Walgreens photographer took another photo.

Bottom line: If you're on the fence about needing a passport and want to keep the costs down, read the directions, look at the samples, and do your own photograph for free.

The minimum for a first time passport is $135 because you have to pay the processing fee to the acceptance facility. And while having you passport mailed back by trackable means may be optional it is still recommended and that's another $15. Again, not too big a deal for one or two passports but the fees do add up.

The minimum for a first time passport is $135 because you have to pay the processing fee to the acceptance facility. And while having you passport mailed back by trackable means may be optional it is still recommended and that's another $15. Again, not too big a deal for one or two passports but the fees do add up.

I think you are spot on. Getting ONE passport? No big deal. But passports for an entire family? That definitely adds up.

Haven't yet heard back from the OP. Differing opinions from those who think he did and was too busy relaxing and enjoying himself to post while on board...or since he debarked and those who feel he must not have been able to board and was too disappointed to post and those who feel it was a troll post.

The OP joined CC in Feb. and this was his 8th post. The others were typical newbie questions about his upcoming cruise. So, not likely a troll.

So, let's hope they got onboard and have been enjoying their cruise! :)

I think you are spot on. Getting ONE passport? No big deal. But passports for an entire family? That definitely adds up.

Then I suggest people who have held off getting a passport because of the cost for an entire family start saving money soon. On January 22, 2018, new travel documentation rules are scheduled to go into effect. On that date, travelers will need a Driver's License that qualifies as a Real ID license or a passport to board even domestic flights.

Here's one more way to save money when applying for multiple passports: There is no reason to send multiple applications in separate envelopes, requiring separate tracking fees. You must write a separate check for each application, but multiple applications, multiple photographs, and multiple checks -- clearly identified for each applicant -- can be mailed in the same envelope.

I learned this from calling the National Passport Information Center. (See contact information below)

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/contact-us.html

My comments about avoiding photography costs and tracking costs could save as much as $35 per application. If that saving isn't large enough to tip the balance for families considering passports, it might become appealing as the deadline gets closer for upgraded forms of ID for domestic flights.

Then I suggest people who have held off getting a passport because of the cost for an entire family start saving money soon. On January 22, 2018, new travel documentation rules are scheduled to go into effect. On that date, travelers will need a Driver's License that qualifies as a Real ID license or a passport to board even domestic flights.

This only pertains to those who come from states that aren't currently in compliance, which is only a handful. Again, everyone's needs are different.

Here's one more way to save money when applying for multiple passports: There is no reason to send multiple applications in separate envelopes, requiring separate tracking fees. You must write a separate check for each application, but multiple applications, multiple photographs, and multiple checks -- clearly identified for each applicant -- can be mailed in the same envelope.

I learned this from calling the National Passport Information Center. (See contact information below)

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/contact-us.html

My comments about avoiding photography costs and tracking costs could save as much as $35 per application. If that saving isn't large enough to tip the balance for families considering passports, it might become appealing as the deadline gets closer for upgraded forms of ID for domestic flights.

First of all, the acceptance facility is the one that packages up the applications and materials, not the applicant, so you don't have any control over that (we are talking first time passports, not renewals).

And it's not just the cost that is a factor, it is the fact that what one is purchasing is an option, since passports on closed loop cruises are not required. So in my family's case we were looking at paying $850 plus for something we didn't need and at that time likely would never use (when we first started cruising international air travel was only a dream and we weren't even sure the kids would like cruising). For us, for a 4 day cruise, it just didn't make any sense at all to spend that kind of money so we decided to wait to obtain them. Of course if we traveled more and had the ability to travel via international air the outcome likely would have been different (and if we had determined that we had to have the passports we would have found a way to pay for them or we would have foregone cruise travel until a future date).

This only pertains to those who come from states that aren't currently in compliance, which is only a handful. Again, everyone's needs are different.

Here's a link to a Homeland Security web page that includes a flow chart showing whether each of the states is in compliance for the January 2018 deadline along with a 2020 deadline that must cover the states that have received official extensions.

https://www.dhs.gov/real-id-and-you-rumor-control

First of all, the acceptance facility is the one that packages up the applications and materials, not the applicant, so you don't have any control over that (we are talking first time passports, not renewals).

Thanks for pointing out my mis-statement. My first passport is very far in the rear view mirror and I didn't plug fictitious information in to the passport cost calculator to be reminded of this extra fee.

Thanks for pointing out my mis-statement. My first passport is very far in the rear view mirror and I didn't plug fictitious information in to the passport cost calculator to be reminded of this extra fee.

No worries, my first passport is only a year old so the fees are still fresh in my mind;).

should we get into ink and paper costs.......haha......j/k.....had no idea i could take my own pics. ;)

Maybe not the exact thing this topic is about but here is a real life story as to what a photocopy of a passport will get you.

My family's first cruise in October on Carnival Cruise Line and we had left the ship for port in Cozumel. My wife had left her purse and id in the safe on the ship. I was carrying the credit cards and cash on me The only thing she had was her Sign n Sail card*. Each one of us used our cards to get off the ship, but boarding back on the ship they wanted our sail cards and adults need photo id. It was our first cruise and thought if we got off with just our card we could get back on. They were willing to let me go on the ship and get her id. I had my 2 girls with me on the way back to the ship I was placing some gifts in my backpack. Upon opening my back pack I saw the photocopies of all 4 passports. I turned back around and she was able to use it to get on the ship. She did have to answer a few questions about me and my drivers license.

TLDR: Wife used a photo copy of a passport to get back on our ship in Mexico

I would say it is much the same at every port. From what I understand, someone could be working check in for Carnival today, RCCL tomorrow, and NCL the day after depending on the port and scheduling.

Yes, that is correct at least as far as for Port Everglades. They might work HAL, then RCI, then Carnival......

Haven't yet heard back from the OP. Differing opinions from those who think he did and was too busy relaxing and enjoying himself to post while on board...or since he debarked and those who feel he must not have been able to board and was too disappointed to post and those who feel it was a troll post.

Thank you for the update. :)

I hope at some point we learn what happened. :cool:

Here's a link to a Homeland Security web page that includes a flow chart showing whether each of the states is in compliance for the January 2018 deadline along with a 2020 deadline that must cover the states that have received official extensions.

https://www.dhs.gov/real-id-and-you-rumor-control

That's a really good link. Thanks for sharing it.

should we get into ink and paper costs.......haha......j/k.....had no idea i could take my own pics. ;)

Sis did that. Wasn't worth the effort. Next time they'll get them done at a store.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I think you have something - I am inclined to think OP simply wanted to start a "conversation"; as a number of vanishing OP's do.

What vanishing OPs? Every thread on Cruise Critic that I've seen was started by an OP.

I've often wondered about this as well. And I've never heard a first hand verification. For example, let's say you had your passport with you on your shore excursion but for whatever reason you missed reboarding at one port and planned to simply fly to the next port to rejoin the ship. If they open your safe and pack up your jewelry and valuables and give them to the port authority and you rejoin the ship what then?

I've asked this twice during question and answer periods on two different ships. One said yes, they do go to the safe and search for your passport.

The other said not, too much liability.