Car Rental in Astoria, OR

woodz

If I remember correctly, the Enterprise Rental office is a distance from where The Jewel will dock. I think they picked me up at the ship and then brought me back.

Yes,you can drive to Cannon Beach it is about a 20 to 30 minute drive depending on the traffic.

Tillamook is about 75 or 80 miles south of Astoria. I would not make the drive with the time frame you may have.

The Enterprise location is about 1/2 mi from the dock - a 15 min walk. - they may also come and pick you (and others) up at the dock.

Tillamook is about 65mi HY101 winds along the coast line most of the way south of Cannon Beach - depending on traffic it can take as little as an hour and a half to two hours or more.

Is there a reason to visit there? or are you just out to see the seaside?

There is a good air museum there housed in an old blimp hanger - stop in at the cheese factory for a quick tour and a grilled cheese sandwich - or cheeseburger and a milkshake - topped off with an ice cream cone :D

BTW if you are on the Jewel on May4 you will also be in port with the Crown Princess - there is only one cruise ship dock - there are other docks - but I will bet someone will have to tender.

Cruise Timetables is showing the port time of 8:00 to 5:00 - all aboard will be 4:30 - I would plan on being back by 4:00 at the latest. If you tender it will be a short ride.

There is so much to see in Astoria and the area you really don't need to drive to Tillamook. Cannon Beach is gorgeous so if there is time I would go there.

We lived in Astoria for years and had company all the time. We took them to:

Astoria Column

Walk along the riverfront on the walkway or ride the Trolley.

Check out the sea lions swimming under the buildings along the trail and a zillion of them on the docks down just past the Safeway building.

Fort Clatsop Lewis and Clark's encampment

Fort Stevens in Hammond/Warrenton Old military base. The Peter Iredale and beaches You will see amazing sized fish if you watch the fisherman.

If you still have time then Cannon Beach

We did this a few years back. The people in Astoria are the best. They had a group meeting you and giving out information.

When we went on the Star the Pearl was also there that day. Luckily we got the dock and they had to tender. Enterprise picked us up and it is less than a 5 minute drive there.

We went down to Cannon Beach, one other beach, to Fort Clastop, the Column, and then downtime and finally a grocery store. Very easy and a great day. The Column was pretty busy but it worked out.

Fort Stevens in Hammond/Warrenton Old military base.

I was going to mention Fort Stevens - we camped there about 4 months ago, and it was great. Cape Disappointment (about 30 min from Astoria, across the bridge in Washington) is also very scenic.

We quite often stop in at the Tillamook Cheese Factory - but I can just as easily drive right past...

Thank you for the responses. We have been to Astoria twice and wanted to see some of the beautiful coastline. We will be on the Sun on May 10th. It is a fairly short port time so we will probably drive the coast and then need to find some yummy marionberry jam before we get back on the ship. I'll call Enterprise and let them pick us up.

Thank you for the responses. We have been to Astoria twice and wanted to see some of the beautiful coastline. We will be on the Sun on May 10th. It is a fairly short port time so we will probably drive the coast and then need to find some yummy marionberry jam before we get back on the ship. I'll call Enterprise and let them pick us up.

One other thing and someone can clarify, but we stopped to fill the car back up with gas and didn't know Oregon is one of those states that they have people who do it so I got yelled at.

There is also a Costco there if you have a last minute need for anything in bulk.

If you tender it will be a short ride.

Ha Ha!!! When we were there last year we docked in the morning and tendered in the afternoon as another ship arrived after us.

We were due on Monday but a change (into Seattle and missing San Francisco)saw us there on Tuesday. :eek:

Someone in Astoria was not happy and the ship was moved and anchored as far away upriver from the town as possible, or so it seemed.

It was an over 20 minute tender against the wind and tide and was a hectic tendering. :eek:

Hope yours is better than that!!

Mike

I'm old enough to remember that my mom never had to get out of the car for gas. My son lived in OR and got yelled at a couple of times too. Costco is anyways a favorite stop for me, my dh, not so much.

I'm old enough to remember that my mom never had to get out of the car for gas. My son lived in OR and got yelled at a couple of times too. Costco is anyways a favorite stop for me, my dh, not so much.

I believe the Costco was south of town a bit. We had perfect weather there in Sept of 2011 - late Sept and it was mid 70s. Also the last time we were in SFO on that trip other than our wait today to leave on POA.

Have a great time in Astoria. It is a beautiful area. Lots of movies made there too supposedly but we weren't on that agenda.

We were there in early May last year. I loved Astoria, esp. Fort Clatsop. We just had a taxi take us there and then they came to pick us up at the agreed upon time. The town's people really work hard to make their tourists happy. We went to the Maritime museum and thought that was also a really nice experience. I believe we were shuttled there and the taxi picked us up at this location. There were town reps out there to help you arrange transportation.

• 3 weeks later...
Being a Kindergarten Aide we had to walk up to the Kindergarten Cop school last time we were there. We have loved it in the past and just want to see more.

My son was attending the school when they filmed the movie. It was very exciting :) He's not in any of the scenes though. Free Willy was filmed there too they use the Fire Chiefs house for some of the filming. It was fun to see the changes they made in the home.

My son was attending the school when they filmed the movie. It was very exciting :) He's not in any of the scenes though. Free Willy was filmed there too they use the Fire Chiefs house for some of the filming. It was fun to see the changes they made in the home.

The Astoria Column is a great place to take pics and also climb to the top.

The port is a quaint but very nice port with some old fashion shops. They have a large flea market on Sundays.

There is also an old theater called the Liberty that is a good little place to see and it has a huge paper chandelier. Its located right in the downtown area.

For those that don't know there is no sales tax in the state of Oregon.