Tipping

Pamela1

Hi Wes, Welcome back! Totally agree with you about tips other than money. When on the SS Valpo/BA cruise Wendy gave both our waiter and room attendant personal gifts for their families in the Philippines. They were overwhelmed. Everyone cares about being treated as appreciated.

Maybe we should drop the word "tips" and substitute "gifts". We know that tips are included on Regent so anything else should be considered a gift. We could give an envelope, we could give a scrabble set, we could give nothing. It could even be a secret! Obviously there are some secrets. We all have secrets. What isn't good is a discussion where a variety of opinions need to be repeatedly corrected.

Please excuse one more off thread topic comment.

Thanks Jackie, Ann, and Bill for the warm welcome back to Regent. And Bill thanks for Wendy and you going above and beyond with personal gifts for some of the special Regent crew that went above and beyond for you.

Ida and I are so looking forward to boarding the Voyager (double treat as the Voyager refurb is this Oct/ early Nov, and believe we will also be able to enjoy the new entertainment upgrade next January from Auckland to Singapore).

Edited by WesW

Flossie009 - didn't want to quote your posting again, but agree absolutely. I don't feel obliged to tip everyone on Regent, just as I don't insist on paying for the included alcohol. When service is 'above & beyond' if I wish to, I will. That fact and the amount are between myself and the recipient.

We share your gripes, too.

Flossie009 - didn't want to quote your posting again, but agree absolutely. I don't feel obliged to tip everyone on Regent, just as I don't insist on paying for the included alcohol. When service is 'above & beyond' if I wish to, I will. That fact and the amount are between myself and the recipient.

We share your gripes, too.

Kindly explain your comment that "I don't insist on paying for the included alcohol". How does one not pay for included alcohol?

IMO, the relevancy of my posting approximate salaries for a couple of positions was to show that the crew members that are visible to passengers earn considerably more money that the crew that we do not see and they do not receive tips - even though many of these crew members make it possible for the "upstairs" staff to perform their job. Note: My "downstairs"/"upstairs comments was learned from Downton Abby and is not meant to demean anyone - just a way of differentiating crew that we see and those we do not see.

No one is going to flame you for your "thoughts" but I obviously do not agree with all of them. I stand by my belief that, when questioned by someone new to Regent (which the OP is), the correct response is to quote Regent's policy. I'm glad that Catlover54 posted the policy on Europa 2. Obviously, if this were policy on Regent, we would not be having this discussion. IMO, Regent's policy is very clear about what to do if you "feel strongly about expressing gratitude to the crew, they should be encouraged to make a donation to the Crew Welfare Fund".

It seems that "tipping" threads become difficult because some posters want to "do their own thing" and encourage others to do the same rather than answering the question very simply. I encourage posters to keep their private business private. This is not "pot calling the kettle black" (American expression), I have slipped and given information that I would typically keep to myself (the Scrabble game for instance). I have also posted that I've tipped butlers on Regent when I actually tip butlers and steward/stewardess' on Oceania which is obviously another topic completely

Agree 100% that pre-tipping is wrong on many levels.

"New to Regent" ? You have responded to several posts that i made last year on my 2 previous REGENT cruises and the question this time was regarding my next REGENT cruise. You seem to be caught up in your own agenda here and forgetting things you have written in the past. I know you post a lot so it might be difficult to remember everything.

I am glad that we had taken 4 Regent cruises before I had ever heard of Cruise Critic. I think if I had read any threads like this or even the dress code thread I would have had second thoughts about booking. Jean.

Indeed Jean, although making dinner of an evening has become much more entertaining than a comedy show. :D

Pam.

Oh for sure it is Pam, it's almost as entertaining as Gogglebox ;). Bet when you asked a simple question you didn't expect the response it got?;). Jean.

I love Gogglebox, oops, i might be going off topic here! :roll eyes:

Pam.

"New to Regent" ? You have responded to several posts that i made last year on my 2 previous REGENT cruises and the question this time was regarding my next REGENT cruise. You seem to be caught up in your own agenda here and forgetting things you have written in the past. I know you post a lot so it might be difficult to remember everything.

I do not memorize posters - simply respond to questions. Assumed that anyone asking about tipping would be new to Regent.

Tc: I suspect that what nuneham probably meant was that in the same way that alcohol is included and thus not expected to be paid for again while onboard, so, too, are tips included, so why would one consider tipping again except in very special circumstances. He/she was making the point about tipping in a different way.

Gogglebox??

Hi it's a TV show where you see families watching TV in their own homes, watching their reactions to specific programs. It is very funny, it maybe doesn't sound so funny explaining it, but is really funny to watch.:D Jean.

We seem to get your TV shows a few years after they start on your side of the pond. So if its as entertaining as Cruise Critic, I'll have to watch it. Now, about my khakis in the main dining room...

Am liking your style.;) Jean.

Tc: I suspect that what nuneham probably meant was that in the same way that alcohol is included and thus not expected to be paid for again while onboard, so, too, are tips included, so why would one consider tipping again except in very special circumstances. He/she was making the point about tipping in a different way.

Yes, that's how I read it also.

Thanks poss - this thread has become a British television show thread. Very confusing. That poster brought up an interesting point (assuming that they mean what you think they mean). We have already paid for tips once so why pay for them again. The same could be said for alcohol and excursions. Thanks for your input.