Tipping

Pamela1

Hello,

I know some people on here don't like the idea of tipping on an all inclusive cruise (regardless of the service) but for folks that do, can you give advice on how much would be acceptable for the likes of tour guides, pianists entertainment and the likes. Also what currency would you pay? Would it be US Dollars, UK pounds or the country we are in if it were for tour guides. thanks.

Pam.

Hi Pam,

As you say some people do tip staff and some don't, and I myself think it's up to personal choice whether you do this or not.

We do tip the staff. We like to acknowledge our appreciation to staff. If it's the med we are in we would use the euro. In the USA or Canada we would use the dollar in question for that country. I know there is a crew fund on board and we would also give a donation to that, and it would cover the vital behind scene staff we don't meet but are looking after us with laundry, food, security etc.

Hope this is helpful, but as you know it's a touchy subject but one I feel is down to personal choice. :). Jean.

Unfortunately, this is opening a can of worms. As you no doubt know, Regent's policy is:

Should I tip onboard?

Gratuities are included in the cruise fare for all Regent employees. If guests feel strongly about expressing their gratitude to the crew, they should be encouraged to make a donation to the Crew Welfare Fund at the Purser Office. This money is utilized for crew parties and events.

I am 100% in favor of donating to the Crew Welfare Fund. I understand that there are people that tip and, IMO, this sets up an expectation amongst the crew that should not be there. Tipping your room steward/stewardess seems to be popular but what they do for you would not happen if there were not people in the lowest positions washing and ironing and doing things that enable the steward/stewardess to provide you with the excellent service that you receive.

P.S. As Regent is a U.S. company, the crew is paid in U.S. dollars!

I have tipped when the butler goes above and beyond his normal duties (setting up parties in our suite, etc.) but also believe that a donation to the Crew Welfare Fund is in order. The Crew Welfare Fund helps ALL of the crew - not only those that you see or interact with.

Edited by Travelcat2

Hello,

I know some people on here don't like the idea of tipping on an all inclusive cruise (regardless of the service) but for folks that do, can you give advice on how much would be acceptable for the likes of tour guides,...or the country we are in if it were for tour guides. thanks.

Pam.

Local tour guides (not the Regent staff who sometimes chaperone tours) are not Regent staff and, as far as I know, are not included in the crew tipping. We always tip the local guides ~15%...which is itself a challenge if the tour is "free." Usually about $20 for half day tours (for us as a couple) or $40 for a full day. Since many of the areas we travel to are in the developing world, if this ends up as dual compensation, it's hard to feel that's wrong since it probably carries a disproportionate impact. In dollars if outside the EU...never had them declined...frequently more valuable than local inflationary currency.

Hi Pam,

As you say some people do tip staff and some don't, and I myself think it's up to personal choice whether you do this or not.

We do tip the staff. We like to acknowledge our appreciation to staff. If it's the med we are in we would use the euro. In the USA or Canada we would use the dollar in question for that country. I know there is a crew fund on board and we would also give a donation to that, and it would cover the vital behind scene staff we don't meet but are looking after us with laundry, food, security etc.

Hope this is helpful, but as you know it's a touchy subject but one I feel is down to personal choice. :). Jean.

We agree. Personal choice, personal opinion.

Local tour guides (not the Regent staff who sometimes chaperone tours) are not Regent staff and, as far as I know, are not included in the crew tipping. We always tip the local guides ~15%...which is itself a challenge if the tour is "free." Usually about $20 for half day tours (for us as a couple) or $40 for a full day. Since many of the areas we travel to are in the developing world, if this ends up as dual compensation, it's hard to feel that's wrong since it probably carries a disproportionate impact. In dollars if outside the EU...never had them declined...frequently more valuable than local inflationary currency.

Glad that you mentioned tour guides (not the Regent staff) in terms of tipping. We definitely tip tour guides. I believe that this is mentioned in Passages because, unfortunately, many Regent passengers do not tip tour guides (it is obvious when you are departing the bus). It seems that entertainers on Regent ships often accompany excursions and there is no need to tip them. They are enjoying themselves and are only there in case of emergency.

I definitely tip tour guides and drivers as they are not included in "tips included". If a crew member were to do something above and beyond their usual duties, I would give a tip (example: if a crew person were to go off the ship to get medicine). But normally I express my appreciation with a donation to the crew welfare fund as that included everyone, not just the people you see every day. The laundry guy or the guy who keeps the engine running are as important as the more visible crew members. Which is why I favor a tips included policy.

Definitely tip the excursion guides, whose tips are NOT included in the base fare, unless they are horrible (it happens, e.g., I had a guide on a Regent tour in Italy who repeatedly made sexist remarks and jokes while the bus drove, then refused to listen to me when I said after 2.5 hours of a walking tour, that we should have a bathroom break.

I have had quite a few discussions with fellow passengers regarding tipping tour guides AND drivers - it still amazes me how many people still believe that they do not have to tip because it is included. I have also heard from some Australian passengers who refuse to tip because it is not customary in their country.

We tip according to country - dollars are always well accepted and they know how to convert to their currency - when in the UK or Europe we do tip in sterling or euros. My Mom always appreciates any assistance getting on and off the coaches so if they driver is helpful, he will always get a bigger tip.

Regarding tipping on the ship - this has been discussed over and over, however, the belief and comments that tipping is not allowed is completely untrue. I have made it my business to ask many times, including the CEO, and while it is not required or expected, it is not banned.

We made it a policy of tipping anyone who had gone out of their way to make our cruise more special - we are regulars on Regent and there are crew members that we have known for years that go above and beyond and we not only tip, I also bring thank you cards and we write to let them know how special and helpful they have been. Often we travel over the holidays and if our room stewards have children, we make it a point of giving them something to "buy presents for the children". We also always contribute to the crew fund, which I learned of by reading CC - Regent needs to do a better job if informing passengers about this method of rewarding the crew for their hard work. In my over 200 days on Regent, I have yet to run into any crew member "waiting for a tip" and almost all are extremely grateful for the thoughtfulness provided to them.

gnomie :)

Gnome, we feel the same as you. All the luxury lines today include tips and I seldom hear about this issue except here. We have sailed our luxury line of choice for 25yrs and we know many of the crew on both ships for a very long time. We tip as well as give to the crew welfare fund and any on board leftover credits can be used as tips or donated.

We do this privately and I am not ruining anyone's cruise experience. Frankly it is my business and no one else's.

A positive comment card on an employee has a big impact on them receiving a bonus.

Crew fund is excellent way to help the entire crew.

Tipping your tour guides is appropriate

Tipping in general is highly discouraged by Regent for employees.

Again many thanks. We also tip regardless of the "all inclusive policy"

We will contribute to the staff fund as it seems a good place for all staff members to feel they are rewarded for all the special things that are unseen by us.

Also thank you for the feedback on the tour guides, i'm sure most of them (and we have witnessed) what a good job they do. The currency question is also very helpfull as when we were in St Petersburg on a canal trip, some people tipped in Rubles and didn't quite understand the currency which, (not understanding the currency) resulted in a feeble tip. I will try to make sure in future that we tip in the correct way.

Pam.

Please show me where it says tips are highly discouraged. You people need to stop telling people what to do with their money. The crew has a mouth and can decline tips when offered to them with a thank you and it was my pleasure to serve you on your cruise.

Please show me where it says tips are highly discouraged. You people need to stop telling people what to do with their money. The crew has a mouth and can decline tips when offered to them with a thank you and it was my pleasure to serve you on your cruise.

No where does it say that tips are highly discouraged - after the last go around on CC regarding tipping, I took it upon myself to seek the truth from the mouths of those that make the rules and received the same answer over and over again:

1) tipping is not required or necessary

2) the crew fund is one way of showing appreciation and gratitude

3) passengers are free to tip any crew member if they so wish

and last but not least, it was interesting that almost everyone I spoke to repeated the following:

It appears that those arguing the loudest against tipping, to the point of claiming it is not allowed, are doing so to provide reason to themselves as to why they choose not to tip.

BTW, I have been in situations where tipping is not allowed and in each and every case, we were provided with written instructions regarding the tipping policy and there were notices posted in numerous places, neither of which I have witnessed on any Regent cruise. If tipping was truly not allowed, the person would not accept the tip - if you do not believe me, try tipping at a place where it is genuinely not allowed and it will be refused. Try tipping the worker at Costco who helps load the television into your car and see what happens.

No where does it say that tips are highly discouraged - after the last go around on CC regarding tipping, I took it upon myself to seek the truth from the mouths of those that make the rules and received the same answer over and over again:

1) tipping is not required or necessary

2) the crew fund is one way of showing appreciation and gratitude

3) passengers are free to tip any crew member if they so wish

and last but not least, it was interesting that almost everyone I spoke to repeated the following:

It appears that those arguing the loudest against tipping, to the point of claiming it is not allowed, are doing so to provide reason to themselves as to why they choose not to tip.

BTW, I have been in situations where tipping is not allowed and in each and every case, we were provided with written instructions regarding the tipping policy and there were notices posted in numerous places, neither of which I have witnessed on any Regent cruise. If tipping was truly not allowed, the person would not accept the tip - if you do not believe me, try tipping at a place where it is genuinely not allowed and it will be refused. Try tipping the worker at Costco who helps load the television into your car and see what happens.

With all due respect, you seem to be the only poster that is "arguing the loudest". Also, not sure what Costco has to do with cruising. I suspect that you could offer anyone money and they would take it -- not a big deal nor does it speak to Regent crew members.

P.S. Post #3 above is from the Regent website and speaks to the issue.

Edited by Travelcat2

With all due respect, you seem to be the only poster that is "arguing the loudest". Also, not sure what Costco has to do with cruising. I suspect that you could offer anyone money and they would take it -- not a big deal nor does it speak to Regent crew members.

P.S. Post #3 above is from the Regent website and speaks to the issue.

I tip all the time.

Gnomie1 is correct (brilliant) on this one and I will happy to battle Gnomie1 to be the one who "argues the loudest" as I always have on this subject.

This subject has gone round and round on this board for years. Don't tip if you don't want to. But stop suggesting that it is prohibited to do so.

j

I tip all the time.

Gnomie1 is correct (brilliant) on this one and I will happy to battle Gnomie1 to be the one who "argues the loudest" as I always have on this subject.

This subject has gone round and round on this board for years. Don't tip if you don't want to. But stop suggesting that it is prohibited to do so.

j

I have never posted or intimated that tipping is prohibited but have given many reasons why it sets expectations that Regent did not have when tipping was less prevalent. I have also said that tipping individuals does not recognize the people that enable that crew member to do their jobs as well as they do (the kitchen staff, laundry staff and even crew members that keep the ships running in the engine room). Mainly I post and support what Regent has posted on their website which is the policy in their own words.

It does not make sense to me why people brag about tipping and seem to have an issue with passengers that simply follow Regent's recommendation of contributing to the Crew Fund. Perhaps those of you that feel it is a personal issue (not arguing that stance) should keep their feelings private and allow Regent's policy to speak for itself.

I have never posted or intimated that tipping is prohibited but have given many reasons why it sets expectations that Regent did not have when tipping was less prevalent. I have also said that tipping individuals does not recognize the people that enable that crew member to do their jobs as well as they do (the kitchen staff, laundry staff and even crew members that keep the ships running in the engine room). Mainly I post and support what Regent has posted on their website which is the policy in their own words.

It does not make sense to me why people brag about tipping and seem to have an issue with passengers that simply follow Regent's recommendation of contributing to the Crew Fund. Perhaps those of you that feel it is a personal issue (not arguing that stance) should keep their feelings private and allow Regent's policy to speak for itself.

I don't see anyone here bragging about giving personal tips to staff. Pamela1 asked a question and I answered as did you and the rest of the posters.

I certainly don't brag about giving a tip. This is a discreet gesture and we always place this in an envelope and I write a small note of thanks from us. We have never encountered any member of staff expecting or looking for a tip. I respect everyone's views on this matter, but feel no one should be judged for their choices. Jean.

I don't see anyone here bragging about giving personal tips to staff. Pamela1 asked a question and I answered as did you and the rest of the posters.

I certainly don't brag about giving a tip. This is a discreet gesture and we always place this in an envelope and I write a small note of thanks from us. We have never encountered any member of staff expecting or looking for a tip. I respect everyone's views on this matter, but feel no one should be judged for their choices. Jean.

Thank you Jean, i was about to post something similar myself but you are much better with your wording than me. ;)

Pam.

Jackie, in reality people will do what they want to do in regards to tipping. The only way that it MAY be controlled if the crew were not allowed to accept tips and I don't think that will happen.

This subject comes up more on the Regent boards than any othe luxury line that is all inclusive.

When you sail on a ship you are sailing with a small community with people from different cultures, walks of life and beliefs and traditions to their upbringing. Will I admonish a person who wears a religious hat or a woman in a Burka with a veil or a prayer shawl absolutely not and those that want to tip or not that is a personal thing.

The only thing we care about when we cruise is us and not what other people do or don't do that is their business and not ours.

This is all so petty imho.

Jackie, in reality people will do what they want to do in regards to tipping. The only way that it MAY be controlled if the crew were not allowed to accept tips and I don't think that will happen.

This subject comes up more on the Regent boards than any othe luxury line that is all inclusive.

When you sail on a ship you are sailing with a small community with people from different cultures, walks of life and beliefs and traditions to their upbringing. Will I admonish a person who wears a religious hat or a woman in a Burka with a veil or a prayer shawl absolutely not and those that want to tip or not that is a personal thing.

The only thing we care about when we cruise is us and not what other people do or don't do that is their business and not ours.

This is all so petty imho.

Interesting that this does not come up on the Crystal board. In any case, I am not disputing what other people do or do not do is their business. My issue is with people stating that they tip as if they are recommending this to people new to Regent. This comes across as bragging to me (may be looked at differently in the U.K.). If it isn't Regent's policy, what is the point of posting what you do - especially if you feel that is no one's business?

When people ask what the dress code policy is on Regent (other thread), posters rarely post that they wear jeans to dinner and it their business - no one else's.

For whatever reason, many people do not read the Regent website which answers all of these questions. They come to the Regent board to ask the policies here. IMO, it is our responsibility to let them know the policy rather than confusing the issue by saying...... but I tip and it is no one's business. Again, (and I realize that I'm repeating myself), if it is "no ones business", why is it being posted on the Regent board? Is this not sharing "your business" with everyone?

P.S. Petty? You bet it is! It is mind boggling that posters can argue with a written policy!