ZIKA virus

We received the same email at the end of February. I think it is automatic right now. We did five islands in the Southern Caribbean. Because we tend towards beaches we didn't see any mosquitoes. The best advice I've heard is to travel smart. If you're going inland where mosquitoes are more likely bring a good spray.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R you in any of the main at risk categories,

pregnant

planning to be in the near future, (risk of how near unknown as yet)

planning sex with someone who is/may get pregnant

have autoimmune conditions esp MS or transverse Myelitis, lupus (2 zika deaths had lupus)

On immuneo suppressants or chemo

I have been advised not to travel to Zika areas as I have transverse Myelitis and Lupus and thus I am on immuneo suppressants.

If none of the above apply you are just as likely to fall ill with home-bourne bugs as on cruise.

Edited by fragilek

have been imunosuppressed for 6 years now (Transplant recipient) and cruised 2 times per year since transplant including Southern Caribe in Nov and western last month (Cozumel)-- have not as yet encountered any of the pesky flying skeeters of Zika (or any other) Fame-- suspect more apropos to destination resort travellors in area than cruisers as we tend to leave at night when said pests typically emerge.

have been imunosuppressed for 6 years now (Transplant recipient) and cruised 2 times per year since transplant including Southern Caribe in Nov and western last month (Cozumel)-- have not as yet encountered any of the pesky flying skeeters of Zika (or any other) Fame-- suspect more apropos to destination resort travellors in area than cruisers as we tend to leave at night when said pests typically emerge.

Zika Mossies are day active not night - I was bitten alive in Belize and Roatan on our last cruise. I have been advised not to travel by doc and as such I would no longer have medical insurance cover - as traveling against doc advise. Just put it in to remind that there are other categories as well as just pregnant/ planning to be that should discuss travel plans with their doc. Whether you head their advise is up to you. I wont ever risk travel without medical insurance cover so its a big no for me.

Look for Repel 100 / it is 100% DEET & claims 10 hr protection. ?? Stores that sell outdoor / hunting / camping have it. Most sprays at retailers are only 25% DEET.

Edited by jcg4550

We're on Anthem 12 night western cruise now which just went to Labadee, Falmouth, Grand Cayman, Costa Maya, Roatan and Cozumel. Did Anthem 12 night eastern itinerary in January to Labadee, SJ, St. Martin, Martinique, St. Kitts and Barbados. We haven't even seen a mosquito on either cruises and have been off ship in all ports but didn't do any jungle tours.

Edited by robtulipe

We're on Anthem 12 night western cruise now which just went to Labadee, Falmouth, Grand Cayman, Costa Maya, Roatan and Cozumel. Did Anthem 12 night eastern itinerary in January to Labadee, SJ, St. Martin, Martinique, St. Kitts and Barbados. We haven't even seen a mosquito on either cruises and have been off ship in all ports but didn't do any jungle tours.

That's interesting.

We were on Vision last week and both my wife and I got bit by something on our stop in Belize. Nothing on the other stops of Cozumel and Roatan.

That's interesting.

We were on Vision last week and both my wife and I got bit by something on our stop in Belize. Nothing on the other stops of Cozumel and Roatan.

When you were in Belize were on an island excursion? We are going there next month and doing a snorkeling excursion and was wondering if we should take some kind of bug spray. We are not planning on going into Belize.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

So... about to set sail in 4 days and got a text last night from RC warning about Zika virus. Thoughts?

This is a CYA email from Royal. They don't want someone to contract Zika and be able to say its Royal's fault that they didn't know about it.

As others have said, you only need be concerned if you fall into a small population. Checked with our 3 year old's pediatrician just last week about our May cruise and she said no worries - sail away!

When you were in Belize were on an island excursion? We are going there next month and doing a snorkeling excursion and was wondering if we should take some kind of bug spray. We are not planning on going into Belize.

We got bit when we were on the ship, anchored off Belize.

I would take a bug spray with DEET.

Look for Repel 100 / it is 100% DEET & claims 10 hr protection. ?? Stores that sell outdoor / hunting / camping have it. Most sprays at retailers are only 25% DEET.

Actually Sawyer recommends using Premium Ultra 30% DEET Insect Repellent in Liposome Base Lotion due to it being sweat proof. They recommend the 100% for your clothes. There was a third product they recommended too but don't remember for what circumstance, I can't find the article at the moment, just remember the 100% for clothes and the 30% lotion for exposed skin.

Sawyer is just a name brand I use, others make similar products if you perfer them.

Did you see the see the insect? A lot of times it can be a NoSeeEm, makes about the same welt and itches like crazy.

There has been a lot of rain here in Texas lately and 4 cases of Zika in Bexar county San Antonio. I've been bitten several times already. But my SIL who is a physician says most people will not be affected by Zika.

I will be using a spray on our upcoming cruise.

Bob, were you on an Oasis class ship? Just wondering if your experience had to do with the plantings where skeeters hide?

Did you see the see the insect? A lot of times it can be a NoSeeEm, makes about the same welt and itches like crazy.

There has been a lot of rain here in Texas lately and 4 cases of Zika in Bexar county San Antonio. I've been bitten several times already. But my SIL who is a physician says most people will not be affected by Zika.

I will be using a spray on our upcoming cruise.

Bob, were you on an Oasis class ship? Just wondering if your experience had to do with the plantings where skeeters hide?

Neither my wife or I saw what bit us, but it made a small welt and did itch quite a bit. Could have been a NoSeeEm. We were on Vision.

My partner and I both got Zika during a trip to Rarotonga a year ago when it wasn't a big deal (they didn't know the side effects). All we got was an all-over-body rash and felt terrible for a few days. I have no plans for children so I am not worried about my pacific island cruise next week.