Those "service" animals

NIATPAC29

No, a lot of service dogs don't wear vests and many who lie about their pets being service dogs buy them on line..

Yep. Years ago when I worked at Robinsons, there was a woman who came in with a small dog in her handbag. The dog was wearing a vest. I knew it wasn't a real service dog, bc when I reached over the counter to take the woman's credit card, the dog lunged out and bit me.

I've seen many people at Costco not bringing their dogs in. Some have vests but not all. You can easily tell when they are real service dogs by the dog's behavior. The fake service dogs are usually sitting in the shopping carts or begging for food.

I have a disabled grandson. He expressed interest in a service dog and I went online to start researching the possibility of a dog for him. All I could find was information on buying a vest and certificate for the poochies. For less than $100 you can get a signed certificate stating you need Fluffy with you at all times. Also your vest stating service animal on the side. Tons of offers.

I finally talked to young lady that had a true service dog and she gave me the name of a local agency. Let me tell you a true service animal can be very expensive.

I don't think the unleashed mutt in my local grocery store that lifted his leg on a crate of veggies cared if he had on his vest. I confronted his owner and she told me it was ok because he was a service animal. Management said they couldn't do anything.

Very sad. I hope I never have a barking mutt in a cabin next to me.

4boysnana

I confronted his owner and she told me it was ok because he was a service animal. Management said they couldn't do anything.

In the US, it seems that business owners are in a really difficult spot with respect to fake service animals; they cannot ask a person what disability they have and they cannot ask a person to prove that the dog is trained to help them. All they can do is ask if it is a service dog and what it is trained to help them with. The ADA does not require vests, collars, or paperwork, and it allows for service dogs to be trained by their owners. Businesses can only require the dog to be removed if it is deemed dangerous to people's health and safety (removed with or without the owner).

The only positive note is that falsely claiming a dog is a service dog is a crime, at least some states.

I have a disabled grandson. He expressed interest in a service dog and I went online to start researching the possibility of a dog for him. All I could find was information on buying a vest and certificate for the poochies. For less than $100 you can get a signed certificate stating you need Fluffy with you at all times. Also your vest stating service animal on the side. Tons of offers.

I finally talked to young lady that had a true service dog and she gave me the name of a local agency. Let me tell you a true service animal can be very expensive.

I don't think the unleashed mutt in my local grocery store that lifted his leg on a crate of veggies cared if he had on his vest. I confronted his owner and she told me it was ok because he was a service animal. Management said they couldn't do anything.

Very sad. I hope I never have a barking mutt in a cabin next to me.

4boysnana

When something happens like the dog peeing in the store and the management won't do anything, call your local health department. The health department will call the store and hopefully someone will explain the rules about service animals. Even a true service dog is not allowed to do their business in a store and the management should have kicked them out because of that behavior.

When something happens like the dog peeing in the store and the management won't do anything, call your local health department. The health department will call the store and hopefully someone will explain the rules about service animals. Even a true service dog is not allowed to do their business in a store and the management should have kicked them out because of that behavior.

I agree, that sort of behaviour breaks many other laws and regulations (health, etc) which would override any for the service animal.

Edited by MicCanberra

How about a service kangaroo? Not kidding, this really happened. http://www.wisn.com/news/woman-brings-kangaroo-into-beaver-dam-mcdonalds/31070566

Beaver Dam has now had to make a law that states kangaroos are not service animals.

Federal laws only recognize dogs and small horses as service animals so that is unnecessary.

Capuchin must be on the list too, or were they removed for some reason? I have a friend who is a Quadraplegic who has one, and she does pretty much EVERYTHING, to include feeding him simple things like a peeled banana. far more versatile than a dog or mini horse would be.

It can be trained to perform tasks but a capuchin is not protected under the Americans with Disabilities Act so it does not have the same access to public areas.

Thanks, I have seen some dogs on board (that were not guide dogs) and was wondering if they may have been service dogs or ESA. Apparently they must perform some sort of function (have training for assistance) to get aboard.

Unfortunately, THe greatest abuse of fraudulent service dogs are those who claim the dog is trained to detect diabetic issues. Since the person may or not not be diabetic (they can't be required to show proof), it is quite easy to claim that is the task they are trained for,can't exactly provoke a high/low sugar episode. Those are the dogs that are the yapping beasts, dressed in cutie outfits and fed at the table.

Unfortunately, THe greatest abuse of fraudulent service dogs are those who claim the dog is trained to detect diabetic issues. Since the person may or not not be diabetic (they can't be required to show proof), it is quite easy to claim that is the task they are trained for,can't exactly provoke a high/low sugar episode. Those are the dogs that are the yapping beasts, dressed in cutie outfits and fed at the table.

That is not good at all.:(

To me, it seems like if I were to try to get my non real service dog on board a ship, I would at least try to make him look like and actual service dog. Not have it wear frilly outfits, sitting on tables/chairs, being fed from the table, etc. It's like a blatant F you to all aboard, but esp those who really need service dogs.

This had been a really interesting discussion. I personally have never seen any dogs on any cruises, I see plenty of service dogs around though. I am from Europe, so don't know the procedure for travelling with a service dog. I do know if I want to travel with my dog in Europe I have to have a passport for her. If someone on here is from Europe too & knows what is needed for a service dog, would let us know, I would be interested.

I have a question for denas. I'm in the group that doesn't think "emotional support dogs" should be on board, but I highly respect service dogs, so much, that I considered training service dogs. So back to my question. For the muster drill, are there any special direction with a service dog? I'm not in any way shape or form trying to make light of this subject, or make jokes, so please don't take it that way, but is there any special direction? Does the service dog get a life jacket if there (God forbid) was an emergency? In my opinion they should.

I have a question for denas. I'm in the group that doesn't think "emotional support dogs" should be on board, but I highly respect service dogs, so much, that I considered training service dogs. So back to my question. For the muster drill, are there any special direction with a service dog? I'm not in any way shape or form trying to make light of this subject, or make jokes, so please don't take it that way, but is there any special direction? Does the service dog get a life jacket if there (God forbid) was an emergency? In my opinion they should.

Emotional support dogs are not permitted on board or have the same access as service animals. Dogs that support individuals with PTSD are not emotional support animals.

I once spoke to an elderly woman at the airport who had an equally elderly, trembling, yipping miniature poodle with her. She said that the dog was her service dog who alerted her to "when she was having a migraine".....not WHEN she was going to have a migraine but when her headache was actually a migraine (I don't know about you, but I KNOW when I'm having a migraine; I don't need a dog to let me know). All I can say is that her dog was GIVING me a migraine.

A young woman posting on another board had a PTSD "service dog" that was "trained" to keep people away from her by pushing them away and "growling" at them if they got too close. Here's the scary part: she wanted to take the dog to Disney with her. Does anyone else here think that it just might not be a good idea to take a dog that growls when someone gets too close to its owner to a place that is only second to Times Square on New Years Eve when it comes to people intruding on your personal space??? I can't image what reputable agency that would train a service dog to growl at people. Obviously it WASN'T a "reputable agency".

I have a relative who "puppy-raises" for what is arguably the most highly-respected service dog organization in the country and I have nothing but the highest respect for those dogs and the people who have a need for them. I have nothing but contempt for the people who think their "need" to have Fluffy with them at all times is the same as the "need" for other people to have actual trained service dogs that allow them to live a fuller life.

Off the soapbox.

What if anything do the cruiselines do to make sure a service animal is indeed a certified,real deal service animal? Do the owners have to carry documents? How many people are abusing the entire system due to theirs or their animals seperation anxiety problems in order to take the animal along? I personally know of this happening with the airlines. Yes yes i know its politically incorrect to ever question such things, but i hope they make these people prove they are indeed service animals and not---pets !!

Doesn't affect me, so I don't worry about it at all.

Emotional support dogs are not permitted on board or have the same access as service animals. Dogs that support individuals with PTSD are not emotional support animals.
Unfortunately they are. The owners are telling the cruise lines that they are service dogs and the cruise lines allow them. It is sad that the cruise lines don't know the difference between a service dog and an emotional support dog and that folks will lie so fluffy can cruise with them.

A young woman posting on another board had a PTSD "service dog" that was "trained" to keep people away from her by pushing them away and "growling" at them if they got too close. Here's the scary part: she wanted to take the dog to Disney with her. Does anyone else here think that it just might not be a good idea to take a dog that growls when someone gets too close to its owner to a place that is only second to Times Square on New Years Eve when it comes to people intruding on your personal space??? I can't image what reputable agency that would train a service dog to growl at people. Obviously it WASN'T a "reputable agency".

I have never heard of a dog that is trained to growl or push someone away. A PTSD dog is trained to calm the individual during an attack (see below), there is no way a service dog should touch another person or growl at someone. I think this young women was telling a tall tale (pun intended) to be able to take her untrained/aggressive dog out in public.

From the ADA website: Examples of such work or tasks include ....., calming a person with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) during an anxiety attack, .....

Service Dogs in Public Should NOT:

• Urinate or defecate inappropriately
  • Whine, bark, grumble, growl or make other noises, unless as an alert to their handler for an oncoming panic attack or low blood sugar
  • Pick food or objects up off the floor or steal unless part of their tasks for their handler
  • Sniff staff members, patrons, floors, tables, counters, surfaces, products, shelving or anything else unless the Service Dog is performing specific
  • Wander or move widely out of heel position
  • Break “stays,” “unders,” or other fixed-position behaviors to investigate distractions, explore or other move around.
  • Be anxious, antsy, agitated or aggressive in any way, shape, form or fashion. A Service Dog should never make anyone interacting with her nervous or afraid because of her direct behavior. Some people are afraid of dogs or intimidated by large, dark or certain breeds of dogs, but a Service Dog’s actions should NEVER contribute to that fear. Dogs who are anxious, on edge, reactive, fearful or aggressive in ANY way do not belong in public and especially not as a Service Dog representative.
  • Engage with other dogs, people, children or distractions unless allowed to do so by their human partner.

I have never heard of a dog that is trained to growl or push someone away. A PTSD dog is trained to calm the individual during an attack (see below), there is no way a service dog should touch another person or growl at someone. I think this young women was telling a tall tale (pun intended) to be able to take her untrained/aggressive dog out in public.

From the ADA website: Examples of such work or tasks include ....., calming a person with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) during an anxiety attack, .....

Service Dogs in Public Should NOT:

• Urinate or defecate inappropriately
  • Whine, bark, grumble, growl or make other noises, unless as an alert to their handler for an oncoming panic attack or low blood sugar
  • Pick food or objects up off the floor or steal unless part of their tasks for their handler
  • Sniff staff members, patrons, floors, tables, counters, surfaces, products, shelving or anything else unless the Service Dog is performing specific
  • Wander or move widely out of heel position
  • Break “stays,” “unders,” or other fixed-position behaviors to investigate distractions, explore or other move around.
  • Be anxious, antsy, agitated or aggressive in any way, shape, form or fashion. A Service Dog should never make anyone interacting with her nervous or afraid because of her direct behavior. Some people are afraid of dogs or intimidated by large, dark or certain breeds of dogs, but a Service Dog’s actions should NEVER contribute to that fear. Dogs who are anxious, on edge, reactive, fearful or aggressive in ANY way do not belong in public and especially not as a Service Dog representative.
  • Engage with other dogs, people, children or distractions unless allowed to do so by their human partner.

I should have said she "claimed" to have a service dog that was "trained" to do that. I don't believe for one minute she had a "trained" service dog, but I do believe she had what she "claimed" to be a service dog. No reputable service dog organization would train a dog to growl at people.