Those "service" animals

NIATPAC29

I have never heard of a dog that is trained to growl or push someone away. A PTSD dog is trained to calm the individual during an attack (see below), there is no way a service dog should touch another person or growl at someone. I think this young women was telling a tall tale (pun intended) to be able to take her untrained/aggressive dog out in public.

From the ADA website: Examples of such work or tasks include ....., calming a person with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) during an anxiety attack, .....

Service Dogs in Public Should NOT:

• Urinate or defecate inappropriately
  • Whine, bark, grumble, growl or make other noises, unless as an alert to their handler for an oncoming panic attack or low blood sugar
  • Pick food or objects up off the floor or steal unless part of their tasks for their handler
  • Sniff staff members, patrons, floors, tables, counters, surfaces, products, shelving or anything else unless the Service Dog is performing specific
  • Wander or move widely out of heel position
  • Break “stays,” “unders,” or other fixed-position behaviors to investigate distractions, explore or other move around.
  • Be anxious, antsy, agitated or aggressive in any way, shape, form or fashion. A Service Dog should never make anyone interacting with her nervous or afraid because of her direct behavior. Some people are afraid of dogs or intimidated by large, dark or certain breeds of dogs, but a Service Dog’s actions should NEVER contribute to that fear. Dogs who are anxious, on edge, reactive, fearful or aggressive in ANY way do not belong in public and especially not as a Service Dog representative.
  • Engage with other dogs, people, children or distractions unless allowed to do so by their human partner.

It seems to me that any dog that I have seen on board a cruise has not met these requirements at all.:(

Unfortunately they are. The owners are telling the cruise lines that they are service dogs and the cruise lines allow them. It is sad that the cruise lines don't know the difference between a service dog and an emotional support dog and that folks will lie so fluffy can cruise with them.

I know that the fraudulent emotional support animals are onboard . I am just compelled to report that they aren't permitted to hopefully get other readers to understand they aren't permitted and if present, it is a failure on both the cruise line and guests.

I don't think the OP is showing any ignorance about why someone has the animal. They are merely questioning whether everyone who brings an animal onboard with them has a true need to have the animal with them.

There are several websites where one can purchase vest and documentation for about 65 dollars. As someone who works with children and amazing therapy dogs for epilepsy, POTTS ,diabetes...the abuse of the system chafes my hide.

My daughter had an awful allergic reaction to some lady who had her therapy CATS on an airplane, on her lap , stroking them. My kiddo is allergic and was having asthma attacks . I almost took the damned cats and flushed them.

I had a flight to Phoenix next to a lovely gal with her therapy Guinea pigs. Sh e fed them barbecue potatoe chips the whole flight. I flew from DC. They smelled like , well, Guinea pigs- adorable, but I doubt that they sense a change in blood pressure and safely guide that gal to the floor before she passes out like the dogs that I know.

Emotional support pets may be necessary for a very small percentage of the population . But when I see families that truly need the trained medical dogs go through hours of training for these dogs that have been trained to do things that we as humans cannot , struggling to afford a dog or applying for a grant to get one, and then I sit next to chip-chewing rodents on a 4 hour flight because their owner can't fly without them...when my daughter can't breathe because a selfish woman has to stroke her kitties instead of leaving them In the carrier where dander and saliva-covered hair is NOT flying thru the cabin...I become annoyed.

I am a strong advocate for the otherly abled and those with true psych issues.We have a dear friend with PTSD who has a dog who,helps him greatly. But as many pointed out there are guidelines for the behavior of an emotional support dog..His

dog is trained , doesn't growl, doesn't interact unless instructs, doesn't run around the pool deck as I have seen a little Pomeranian ES dog do...and knows when our friend is having difficulty. It is truly amazing.

But this country has gone nuts with the PC crap.

Thank you, OP for bringing this topic to CC

Edited by DrNora

Surely there must be a line where some company will say. Yes you can travel with your pet but not on this flight or this cruise, as your comfort and support does not out way the comfort of the other passengers.

Just like there are special flights and cruises for various reasons, there can be those for these animals.

Surely there must be a line where some company will say. Yes you can travel with your pet but not on this flight or this cruise, as your comfort and support does not out way the comfort of the other passengers.

Just like there are special flights and cruises for various reasons, there can be those for these animals.

A company could say that, but they'd be in a load of legal and PR trouble, and would lose the lawsuit. In the US, the Americans for Disabilities Act expressly forbids companies from prohibiting service animals -- but that does not include (emotional) support animals.

Does the ADA apply to cruise ships, which are not flagged in the US? Probably, since even foreign companies must comply when operating in the US (ports).

There are several websites where one can purchase vest and documentation for about 65 dollars. As someone who works with children and amazing therapy dogs for epilepsy, POTTS ,diabetes...the abuse of the system chafes my hide.

My daughter had an awful allergic reaction to some lady who had her therapy CATS on an airplane, on her lap , stroking them. My kiddo is allergic and was having asthma attacks . I almost took the damned cats and flushed them.

I had a flight to Phoenix next to a lovely gal with her therapy Guinea pigs. Sh e fed them barbecue potatoe chips the whole flight. I flew from DC. They smelled like , well, Guinea pigs- adorable, but I doubt that they sense a change in blood pressure and safely guide that gal to the floor before she passes out like the dogs that I know.

Emotional support pets may be necessary for a very small percentage of the population . But when I see families that truly need the trained medical dogs go through hours of training for these dogs that have been trained to do things that we as humans cannot , struggling to afford a dog or applying for a grant to get one, and then I sit next to chip-chewing rodents on a 4 hour flight because their owner can't fly without them...when my daughter can't breathe because a selfish woman has to stroke her kitties instead of leaving them In the carrier where dander and saliva-covered hair is NOT flying thru the cabin...I become annoyed.

I am a strong advocate for the otherly abled and those with true psych issues.We have a dear friend with PTSD who has a dog who,helps him greatly. But as many pointed out there are guidelines for the behavior of an emotional support dog..His

dog is trained , doesn't growl, doesn't interact unless instructs, doesn't run around the pool deck as I have seen a little Pomeranian ES dog do...and knows when our friend is having difficulty. It is truly amazing.

But this country has gone nuts with the PC crap.

Thank you, OP for bringing this topic to CC

Well said. I used to have a co-worker who was the leader of a 4H group of young ladies who were "puppy raisers" for the leader dog school in Michigan. She said the day they had to take the pups back was always hard - you can say you won't become attached but that's just not going to happen. The girls would cry and then ask when they would be getting the next pup.

We do not see service animals very often but have from time to time.

I am sure they require proof.

Think the best in people. Not the worst.

Life is short.

Keith

I'm immune to flaming, so fire away. All of the service animals I've seen on ships (may 2) have been what in appearance and my opinion , legitimate animals for people with legit needs. The only abuses I've seen have been at public places. I got tangled up with the leash of a Yorkie pup in a mall once. Later found the exact same vest if was wearing for sale online.

Edited by BillOh
typo

This has been a very informative thread and I thank the OP for starting it and @denas for her contributions. I hope your family has a great cruise.

We just returned from a land trip and did some hiking in the Grand Canyon. We were appalled to see a couple with their little ESA dog hiking the South Kaibab trail. There is no way that poor dog was doing the route back up-it's legs weren't long enough!

I have a friend currently raising a puppy for a big guide dog agency. Wow. The amount of work that goes into their training is unbelievable.

I have a friend currently raising a puppy for a big guide dog agency. Wow. The amount of work that goes into their training is unbelievable.

Folks that do this are truly the unsung heroes....raising and training a dog that will help someone lead an independent life. Props to your friend. Edited by NLH Arizona

One of my co-workers just came off a cruise, and she took her service dog with her for the first time. Her dog is trained to detect seizures. She had to provide quite a bit of documentation to bring her little dog along.

Frankly, I'd rather be on a cruise full of dogs than a cruise full of kids; they're generally better behaved.

Spooky. I've had two calls in the past hour from persons asking, "How do I certify my service dog?" My partner and I receive several such requests every month.

The stock answer is, "We don't do that." Depending on my mood, I'll sometimes go into the hundreds of hours it takes to train a service dog, or I'll ramble on about "public access" training. Occasionally, I'll let my true feelings fly.

I googled "official service dog certification" and I am appalled at the number of sites offering certification. I'm not sure which is worse, the pet owners wanting permission to take their dogs everywhere, or the online scammers. Some sites even offers online psychiatric evaluations!

It disgusts me that veterans are targeted by the scammers.

I'm in the wrong business. We could take an extended cruise in the fanciest suite. A little card stock, ink, and some laminating sheets ... $40 a pop, and that's cheap. Shoot, we can eliminate any costs and simply email the "certificate".

People can be so stupid.

A company could say that, but they'd be in a load of legal and PR trouble, and would lose the lawsuit. In the US, the Americans for Disabilities Act expressly forbids companies from prohibiting service animals -- but that does not include (emotional) support animals.

Does the ADA apply to cruise ships, which are not flagged in the US? Probably, since even foreign companies must comply when operating in the US (ports).

Not if they are offering alternative cruises or such.

Sorry, I don't understand......you mean that it wouldn't be an issue because a cruiser could go on an alternative cruise instead of the one they wanted?

I think he means a specialty cruise where people were allowed to freely bring their pets. Of course health regulations probably prevent such a cruise and as a pet owner I would never consider going on such a cruise.

I think he means a specialty cruise where people were allowed to freely bring their pets. Of course health regulations probably prevent such a cruise and as a pet owner I would never consider going on such a cruise.

And the captain's name would be

Noah

I'll get my coat...:rolleyes:

Was on a long cruise where a man in a wheel chair traveled with his tiny poodle and his mother. A friend on the cruise did a number of tours this lady (a TA) had organized. She thought it was very odd that they left the dog on the ship for every day long excursion. And every time we saw them on the ship, the dog was being passed around by the mother's friends. The dog also had her own suitcase full of all her clothes. The mother dressed the dog up every day. Even had formals. And they had a birthday party in one of the specialty restaurants for it. They cruise alot and it seems like they don't want to leave the dog at home.

Sorry, but that does not sound like a service dog.

Sorry, I don't understand......you mean that it wouldn't be an issue because a cruiser could go on an alternative cruise instead of the one they wanted?

Not quite, but they would have cruises especially for those with service animals.