How early can I make a Venice train after cruise

SJpaul

Taking a royal carribean cruise from Venice. We are going to to Rome after our cruise. What is the earliest train I can catch? Hoew long will it take to get from ship to St Lucia train station?

Thx!!

Do you arrive to Venice the day you disembark?

Assuming that is the case I would go with CruiserBruce's advice.

Keith

Keith makes an excellent point. If your ship is overnighting in Venice, 9am train would be fine. Otherwise 10 am.

Actually, if you are overnighting in Venice, you could catch the early train, the 7:25, if you want. You can leave the ship very early -- no problem.

As to how long to allow, if you are planning to get to the train station by walking and People Mover, I'd allow half an hour, longer if your ship is docked further away from the terminal. Plus add on enough time to get to the train station at least 15 minutes ahead to get your bearings.

NOTE: The People Mover doesn't start running until 7:00 am, so if you wanted to get the early train, you will either have to walk with your luggage the whole way (doable if you pack reasonably, but no fun....) OR you could arrange for a taxi.

It can be a bit of a walk from your ship to the People Mover, and then another 2 blocks from the PMover exit to the Grand Canal, then a large bridge to cross, and another 2 blocks to the train station entrance.

If you can't easily manage your luggage, another option would be to take a cab from the pier to Mestre on the mainland and pick up your train there. About a 10 minute cab ride.

Edited by mapleleaves

I was literally just coming here to ask this question, so glad someone already did!

My ship arrives in Venice at 6:45am and I was looking at 8:30am trains, but based on the last post, it seems like it would be better for me to cab it to Mestre and catch the train from there? Do I need to buy my ticket in advance or can I just do that there?

However, I'll be taking the train to Milan. Can I still do this from the Mestre station?

thanks all!

cruisemom42. You are correct! We are on vision of the seas and we arrive early in the morning 645am. Should have put that in my post! So you all think we can make the 925? Would love to get a jump on the Rome trip!

Would it be easier to go to the mainland train station?

thanks all!

cruisemom42. You are correct! We are on vision of the seas and we arrive early in the morning 645am. Should have put that in my post! So you all think we can make the 925? Would love to get a jump on the Rome trip!

Would it be easier to go to the mainland train station?

Almost certainly it would be easier to take a taxi to the Mestre station on the mainland, given you will have luggage.

I was literally just coming here to ask this question, so glad someone already did!

My ship arrives in Venice at 6:45am and I was looking at 8:30am trains, but based on the last post, it seems like it would be better for me to cab it to Mestre and catch the train from there? Do I need to buy my ticket in advance or can I just do that there?

However, I'll be taking the train to Milan. Can I still do this from the Mestre station?

I think most, if not pretty much every, long distance train leaving Venice stops at Mestre. They leave about 10-15 minutes later. There are several a day to Milan.

If you have luggage, the cost of a cab over the cost of the people mover is probably worth it for the convenience of not having to go up on over the large non-ramped bridge between Piazzale Roma and the train station.

I think most, if not pretty much every, long distance train leaving Venice stops at Mestre. They leave about 10-15 minutes later. There are several a day to Milan.

If you have luggage, the cost of a cab over the cost of the people mover is probably worth it for the convenience of not having to go up on over the large non-ramped bridge between Piazzale Roma and the train station.

Thank you, appreciate the response! Just patiently waiting for bookings to open for September.

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering about the debarkation/customs process - is it as painless as in North America? I did do a cruise a few years back that overnighted in Venice so I was able to walk off the ship at 5Am without any customs formalities, and made my 6AM train in Venice.

This year I will be arriving on the Vision around 7AM - I have a family wedding about one hour north of Venice and am looking at catching a 10AM train.

Beware of taxi drivers at the port - the last time I was quoted 70 Euros for a cab to Mestre, and I told him in Italian what he could do with his &0 Euro price. The price dropped to 20 Euros, and I again told him what he could do with his 20 Euros, and walked to the station in Venice.

• 3 months later...

I am wondering if taking a grand canal tour AND a gondola ride are advisable or if I will feel that they are too similar

More importantly, we are spending two days there in the middle of our 24 day cruise and then coming back for 2 leaving us to disembark at 6a.m. We are taking the train to Rome. I am travelling with my mother who is 81 and while agile for age is in no position to carry her luggage up a bridge. I am wondering which of the three options would be advisable

1-Take a tour that takes us into town for half a day and then will take us to the St Lucias station mid-day allowing more time to hang out

2-Disembark with the belief that porters might be able to help with the journey to the other side

3-Take a cab to maestro station and go from there

4-Something else I haven't thought of.

I booked my train for 9:45 I believe from Mestre to Milan so I may take the express walk off option.

What is a reasonable cost of a taxi to the train station? I don't want to walk but I don't want to be ripped off as well.

Thanks everyone.

I just looked at my itinerary and realized I booked the train for 8:32am!! Sigh, I'll definitely have to do walk off and hope I don't have any issues, don't know what I was thinking. Luckily, the only extra expense will be a train ticket should I unfortunately not catch it.

Luckily, the only extra expense will be a train ticket should I unfortunately not catch it.

That sort of attitude provides you with resiliance against all of the trials of travelling. I hope you catch your train but if not ..... you buy another ticket. :rolleyes: