International phone cards, yes or no??

I have elderly family members back home I would like to check on when we are on the cruise. Has anyone used the international calling cards? Do they work in the Caribbean? The family members do not have computers so that does not work. I have T-Mobile for my cell phone but the last time I tried to add international calling, it was a pure disaster!!

Any advice??

I have elderly family members back home I would like to check on when we are on the cruise. Has anyone used the international calling cards? Do they work in the Caribbean? The family members do not have computers so that does not work. I have T-Mobile for my cell phone but the last time I tried to add international calling, it was a pure disaster!!

Any advice??

We have Verizon and always add international calling and data when we travel. All we have to do is call them and give them the dates we want it activated. I don't know why T-Mobile makes it a disaster.

Any advice??

I always get WiFi on the ship and use google talk, skype or similar app and we can easily keep in touch with everyone at our convenience.

Does Royal even honor international calling cards? I suspect if you call on their phones you pay their rates.

Did see international cards for sale in St Maartin several weeks ago - in pier area. Used them a number of years ago to call Canada. I use a calling card good to Canada and the US including Hawaii when in the US (airports always have pay phones) and hotels don't charge for their use because it uses a 188 or 1888 number as prefix.

Does Royal even honor international calling cards? I suspect if you call on their phones you pay their rates.

Stateroom phones are $8 per minute, no matter what plans you have.

Any advice??

You don't need an international calling card with T-Mobile. International calling is 20 cents per minute and you get it automatically. Data for internet and checking email/Facebook is free. We have T-Mobile and have never been charged and we've been to Europe, the Caribbean, Canada, Belize and Mexico. And you don't need to call T-Mobile to "turn it on" either - it's just on. Everyone has it. Of course, it works when you're in port, not on the ship. The only plans I don't know about is the prepaid phone plans.

Edited by impatientlywaiting

You don't need an international calling card with T-Mobile. International calling is 20 cents per minute and you get it automatically. Data for internet and checking email/Facebook is free. We have T-Mobile and have never been charged and we've been to Europe, the Caribbean, Canada, Belize and Mexico. And you don't need to call T-Mobile to "turn it on" either - it's just on. Everyone has it. Of course, it works when you're in port, not on the ship. The only plans I don't know about is the prepaid phone plans.

I'll just add a caution to this...if you've been a T-Mobile customer for a long time, so that you are on an older billing plan, you might need to call in to move to a "Simple Choice" plan. Their older plans have much higher international rates, including extortionate charges for data.

Your phone device itself also needs to be compatible with international networks. Most current smartphones are, but not all older phones.

We have T-mobile and are not locked into a contract, so I thought that was considered pre-paid. BUT I just logged into my account to look at the details of my plan and it says:

Simple Choice Plan: Promotional Family Plan: Unlimited Talk + Text $100.00/mo

This plan includes:

No annual service contracts.

Up to 2.5GB of 4G LTE data per line included at no additional charge. Plus, optional additional high-speed 4G LTE data available..

Unlimited talk, text & data while on our network with no overages.

First 4 lines for $100 a month; add more lines if eligible for $10.00 per month, per line.

Unlimited international data and text while roaming in 140+ countries and destinations and calls are just $0.20 per minute.

So does that mean I can make calls using Facebook, Skype, etc while in Port? Why only in Port and not while on the ship?

... Why only in Port and not while on the ship?

Because while you are at sea, you are on a different roaming network that is not included in your plan.

You can check out your costs here:

http://www.t-mobile.com/optional-services/roaming.html

Click on the link that says "Going on a cruise? ... ".

We have T-mobile and are not locked into a contract, so I thought that was considered pre-paid. BUT I just logged into my account to look at the details of my plan and it says:

Simple Choice Plan: Promotional Family Plan: Unlimited Talk + Text $100.00/mo

This plan includes:

No annual service contracts.

Up to 2.5GB of 4G LTE data per line included at no additional charge. Plus, optional additional high-speed 4G LTE data available..

Unlimited talk, text & data while on our network with no overages.

First 4 lines for $100 a month; add more lines if eligible for $10.00 per month, per line.

Unlimited international data and text while roaming in 140+ countries and destinations and calls are just $0.20 per minute.

So does that mean I can make calls using Facebook, Skype, etc while in Port? Why only in Port and not while on the ship?

Yes it does but don't be surprised if those data calls don't work. The free international data is limited to 2g speeds.

Here's your solution.... give the folks back home the phone number for the ship so THEY can call YOU if there is an emergency or real need. Then, consider "no news is good news"!

It's only 1 week.

How do I find the number for the ship? I feel so stupid! Lol!

In the past, we've always completely disconnected except for the one time I used a calling card from a pay phone in the Bahamas. Our main concern is that my dad was just diagnosed with alzheimers and he's going to be home alone. We've asked family members to check on him....Hopefully they will.

Thank you!

You're welcome. Just make sure whoever calls knows the cruise line, ship, and stateroom number. They may also have to leave a message on your stateroom phone, so be sure to check your messages.

I'll just add a caution to this...if you've been a T-Mobile customer for a long time, so that you are on an older billing plan, you might need to call in to move to a "Simple Choice" plan. Their older plans have much higher international rates, including extortionate charges for data.

Your phone device itself also needs to be compatible with international networks. Most current smartphones are, but not all older phones.

I've been with T-Mobile's parent company, Deutsch Telekom, since 1994. I didn't have to call T-Mobile to change my plan or anything. I was automatically switched to the Simple Choice plan for my 6 line family plan. T-Mobile sent me a text notifying me when it was done.

• 11 months later...

If you are only going to make a 1-2 minute call a couple of times during the cruise while in port, it may not pay to upgrade from a very inexpensive old plan. Yes, you may pay $3-4/minute in some ports, but it's a one time expense, not recurring every month.