Best for Pics....Camera or Cell Phone

Looking at different reviews, I see that there are lots of great pics that are taken. For my upcoming cruise in just 214 days :mad:, I wanted to get your thoughts on whether to purchase a camera...if so what kind? Or stick to my smart phone for the photo opts.

wanted to be able to take pics from far away and up close and personal.

That is a subjective question... Depends on the look/quality of the pictures you want, and then the ease of carrying the camera around. Most smartphones have really good cameras now, but you will lack in zoom compared to add on lenses you can get with DLR cameras.

For me, the convenience of just having to carry my phone around, and then the convenience of auto uploading/backing up the photos, is enough to deter me from lugging my DLR around..

I'll jump in on this one being the semi professional hobbyist photographer. Your question does not have an answer. I mean what kind of camera is totally relative.

Money? How much are you willing to spend? Sky's the limit. Are going to use it else where and often? Or is this just for the cruise? Do you want a DSLR camera with interchangeable lenses or a simple point and shoot? But then you have to ask about quality of the photo because what camera you pick will determine your photo quality.

Do you want water proof? Do you want video capability?

My self? I strive for razor sharp,crystal clear, pin point sharpness on my photos. Photo's I can easily enlarge and frame to mount on my walls or to sell.

There are many questions to answer.

I'll jump in on this one being the semi professional hobbyist photographer. Your question does not have an answer. I mean what kind of camera is totally relative.

Money? How much are you willing to spend? Sky's the limit. Are going to use it else where and often? Or is this just for the cruise? Do you want a DSLR camera with interchangeable lenses or a simple point and shoot? But then you have to ask about quality of the photo because what camera you pick will determine your photo quality.

Do you want water proof? Do you want video capability?

My self? I strive for razor sharp,crystal clear, pin point sharpness on my photos. Photo's I can easily enlarge and frame to mount on my walls or to sell.

There are many questions to answer.

I agree. Add to that manual control of focal length, ISO, aperture and shutter speed for creative control. But the old saying holds true, the best camera is the one you have with you.

Edited by Babycat

I echo everything that has been said so far.... as a professional photog myself I also lug around my DSLR, it is just habit and I love having the control and can get creative if I want. Is it a pain to lug around, absolutely, but it is attached to my hip all the time already so I like the chance to use my skills and get quality, sharp images of my family and vacation to remember. That being said, absolutely nothing wrong with sticking with a phone, camera phones are very good these days and can usually get decent enough photos for your to post on FB, instagram, etc.... it all just depend on what you want to get out of your photos. On another note, if I plan on getting off the ship and getting on the ocean some place I leave my camera onboard and take my GoPro... so I can get images while wet, etc. So maybe consider getting a GoPro and carrying that around with you... just a thought/

It's really up to you if you buy a camera or not, but I'd say just stick with your phone if you won't use your camera other than on the cruise. I used to take my phone and camera with me, but ended up taking most of my pictures with my phone just because it was convenient and now I don't even take my camera at all. Most phones take pretty good pictures if you are just wanting to keep them for memories. If you do decide to buy a camera, I recommend the Nikon Cool Pix...reasonably priced and they take great pictures. Whatever you decide, have a great cruise!

I will be taking 3 of them...

DSLR for much better interior and nighttime pics, and walking around ports for overall quality/enlarging potential, etc.

Fairly cheap ($120) water camera that works incredible in daylight. movies are fine, made for beach and/or water shots. Kids can drop on deck and not break.

Phone, because it is permanently attached to my hip, even if I dont have wifi or cell coverage.

Depending on what you are wanting out of it... a phone will work 90% of the time. Its up to you whether the other 10% is worth the price and hassle.

I have a Canon DSLR, but I quit taking it, since it got really inconvenient to carry around. I have a Canon 20x zoom Point and Shoot, and an underwater camera. Those 2, plus my iPhone come with me on my cruises. My iPhone comes in handy for quick shots that I can send to family while I'm away or post to Instagram.

If I printed and framed my pics, I would maybe consider my DSLR, but just to sit on my computer, I'm not really that concerned about the quality.

Edited by crzndeb

I am a advanced hobbyist and confirmed DSLR user. If I am going out on a "photo shoot", I always use the SLR. That being said, cell phone cameras these days are really, really good. In the hands of a photographer, a modern cell phone camera will produce stunning results, and I use mine often. I even question the notion that the lack of optical zoom on a cell phone is a major disadvantage. In most cases (not all, I understand), I can merely move closer to the subject. I find that there are two situations where a cell phone is at a disadvantage over an SLR: in very low light where the small sensor of the cell phone is limiting, and shooting moving objects (kids, pets, sports) where the faster focusing capabilities of an SLR is a major advantage.

The Nikon P900 is one of the best cameras I've ever owned. You'll be amazed what the zoom is like on it.

Google it and see what it's like; it's ridiculous. I got some amazing shots on our Oasis trip a few weeks ago.

It's not the cheapest camera out there, but for what you get, you simply can't beat it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Freehike

My vote is always go with the camera but not a DSLR because I don’t want the weight or having to carry extra lenses. Cell phone cameras are good but limited in what they can do. I like somewhat small compact cameras for vacations photos. My choice would be the Canon Powershot SX710 which has a long optical zoom yet is easy to carry. It also has built-in WiFi and it takes great vacation photos.

I would also look at Nikon Coolpix S7000 which is reasonably priced, compact, and has a good optical zoom and takes darn good pictures…but not professional quality. Another good choice in the Nikon line would be the Coolpix S9900.

Just my two cents. I like taking photos but I’m not a serious photography hobbyist or a professional photographer.

Some say the best camera is the one you have with you. If you really don't want to carry anything but your phone, then it's the best camera.

Beyond that, not all phones, and certainly not all cameras, are created equal. If I'm taking professional sports photos, investing $10,000 into a Nikon D5 and lenses will give me far better results than my phone.

But if I'm taking some snapshots of my family, grabbing a couple memorable landscapes, and sharing the photos on facebook..... A good phone camera can do just as well if not better than a $200-$300 point and shoot. The only thing really missing from the phone is optical zoom. It's overrated for many purposes --- Look around the web, and you'll find millions of brilliant photos taken with phone cameras. By not having optical zoom, it forces you to get up close and personal, which usually results in better photographs. But there are some things for which you absolutely need zoom -- Don't expect much in the way of wildlife pics taken with a phone.

Bingo on the 'sky's the limit'. For our Alaska cruises, and since both DW and I are into photography, we usually take 20-30k of camera gear, and spend 750-1500 to rent another 8-15k of gear. I'm "that guy" with three cameras who looks like he's shooting for NatGeo/BBC/whatever, but I don't care: we come home with killer photo, having enjoyed awesome experiences. If you're curious, here's a series I did to document the kind of range we usually take on a cruise. Start at this link, then arrow to the right. You'll see a lens, and then a shot with the lens at its widest zoom, and a shot with the lens at its tightest zoom. The lens near the end, the 600, doesn't zoom at all, but I did add a 1.4x "extender" to "convert" it to an 840 at the end. Alaska Sampler-286

• 3 weeks later...
My choice would be the Canon Powershot SX710 which has a long optical zoom yet is easy to carry. It also has built-in WiFi and it takes great vacation photos.

Oakman58, I also have the Canon Powershot SX710, and really like the WiFi feature. I was wondering if you can use that WiFi feature to send pictures from the camera to an iPad or iPhone while on the ship, without purchasing any of the ship's WiFi plans? Or, is it necessary to pay in order to do that? (hopefully that makes sense)