How soon do you start packing?

Herby

I have been packed for a month for my cruise that is now in about 4 weeks. I tend to, for most of the main clothes items, keep them packed - after washing and drying them from the last cruise. I also just re-stock my toiletry bag when I get home and that stays in my case. The items don't get musty as they are kept in air tight compression bags.

After the next one I only have 4 weeks until the one after, so to me that is leaving it quite late!

I like knowing it is done as much as possible and not having to worry about it.

Edited by Cruisingthesuitelife

The day before we leave.

Which also forces me to finally iron the clothes we wore from the last cruise a few days before that.

Ironing is the thing I procrastinate on the most. Perhaps I am allergic to irons?

:eek: :p

Hahahahah. I think we ALL are. WORST job in the world.

I pack the day before, stuff gets wrinkled in the suitcase. Start putting things aside (guest room) about 2 weeks before. We are leaving on Sunday still not packed, lol.

Ugh...I am so jealous. I cannot wait to try the Anthem. Are you going to come back and let us know how it was? We originally wanted to do the 12 day, but due to my DIL's schedule, have to do the 9 day.

I start getting my clothes out 2 weeks prior to see if anything needs to go to the dry cleaners or needs to be pressed, etc. I pack most things that don't wrinkle the night before we leave and then in the morning put in the rest and close up the suitcases.

Even then when our clothes are only in the suitcases for 6 hours things come out wrinkled. I have tried dry cleaner bags and wrapping things in tissue paper and it does help a bit.

Toiletries I pack 2 days before we leave, except for whatever I might need the morning of the cruise.

We just got off Anthem on Saturday. We did the 12 night. Lots of good things, lots of not so good things. Still not sold on Dynamic Dining but the food was very good at dinner, much better than our last 2 RCCL cruises on Explorer and Liberty.

We have a cruise from Rome in September. I'd love to start packing now in the hopes it will make the 5 months fly bye. But seriously, our flight is Thursday evening so we will probably begin the weekend before. Also, the senility list (things we need to take but might forget if we don't write it down) has already started.

I have a large drawer that I keep our routine cruise stuff in, beach bags, luggage locks, umbrellas, my packing cubes etc. Makes it easy to pack the day before we travel. But it does usually take me several hours because I try on a lot of clothes. I also have a list of other things around the house so I don't forget sunglasses, sunscreen etc. I do check for things to be dry cleaned the week before although we are pretty good about keeping ahead with that.

We are just back from Quebec Carnivale so had to wade through all the winter clothing, get that packed up and unpack the summer clothing. Did that about 2weeks ago. The dining room table is our staging area (I'm not cooking for Easter!) so everything is out and now covered with a sheet so the cat doesn't leave his fur on everything. DH has a pile, I have a pile and then there is the ....mmm do I really need to take that pile. I'll whittle it down this weekend and be ready to pack the day before. So excited for this trip!:)

Everything related to cruising is always set aside in designated bins, drawers, and closet. Staging/folding starts approximately a month out. A week prior to sailing is when the real packing begins. Even with that, I'm usually still reshuffling stuff from case to case a few hours before our transportation arrives. I'm the house packer, in every sense of the word, with multiple lists. LOL

I'm an over packer too! I have several lists, why I don't know :confused:! I always overthink what we are going to need ( or want). I start gathering stuff about a month or so ahead of time. I start revising lists about 2 weeks before and then double check all the clothes for fit, any repair or trip to cleaners. 1 week before it get serious. Then I'm usually up late the night before we leave with final touches!

CRAZY ..... after all these cruises I should be able to do this blindfolded!

About 30 days before I will start taking out clothes if it is a different season where we are cruising. Right now I don't know if my girls' summer stuff will still fit them this year. Everything needs to get tried on! This goes for me too this time, since I've lost 19 lbs. since I cruised last year! Formal packing will be about 10 days before our flight. If we were cruising the same season as we live in, I'd do it in under 1 week. I couldn't never do it the day before. I'd be a anxious mess!

I usually start gathering things we're taking a few weeks before and actually start packing things a few days before. But, I often have nightmares that we're about to leave to go on a trip and I don't have time to pack!:eek:

Hi All,

We are 28 days until our next cruise and the trouble started to pack last week.

I'm not allowed to pack.

Pete

Ha ha ha! Even before I saw your profile, I knew you were a Brit! Having been born in the Commonwealth myself (although now living in Texas for nearly 30 years), I do sometimes tease my very lovely and awesome wife as "Trouble & Strife" or "Ball & Chain"...

Love British humor (humour :) )

I start a week or 2 before but somehow, I still end up all night the night before, packing! It never fails.

In November I let my son (15) pack his own suitcase. I asked several times if he had enough outfits for each day and enough underwear. Trying to teach him independence, I didn't go and physically look in the bag. Yeah, yeah Mom. I'm ready! SMH...

He didn't bring enough t-shirts for daytime wear. Which meant we would buy a t-shirt in each port and he would wear it the next day. He also forgot his dress shoes so we had to rent those for formal night. But he did bring EVERY PAIR OF UNDERWEAR he owns. LOL!!!

I will make him create a packing list for our next cruise.

Packing makes it "real". I get the suitcase out about a month before but don't actually start packing until about 10 days before our cruise. Just wondering what others do.

I usually start packing about a week before our cruise. :)