Summit has Xcelerate

oroszdb

On Summit now - seems they did upgrade the wifi during the recent dry dock - Excelerate is currently $140/unlimited for a 7 day cruise (before any discounts)

Edited to add:

Just did two test calls, vzw wifi calling won't go through but Vonage wifi calls DO go through without any issues :)

Edited by oroszdb

On Summit now - seems they did upgrade the wifi during the recent dry dock - Excelerate is currently $140/unlimited for a 7 day cruise (before any discounts)

Edited to add:

Just did two test calls, vzw wifi calling won't go through but Vonage wifi calls DO go through without any issues :)

Please can you explain what excelerate is. Does it work with FaceTime? Thanks

Edited by Gillian123

Edited to add:

Thanks for update! it was terrible last December :mad:

We just got off the summit and I agree the internet was much better than it was in November. At points it was still a bit slow, but much better than in the past. I even uploaded about 6 pictures or so a day to facebook and they uploaded fast. I used to avoid pictures at all costs because the internet was so slow.

Quick question I noticed that "The new internet packages can be purchased onboard or in advance for the same price: $140 per person for unlimited use on five- to nine-day sailings; $199 per person for unlimited use on sailings of 10 days or more." Does this mean that only one person has to purchase it or both passengers in a cabin?

Quick question I noticed that "The new internet packages can be purchased onboard or in advance for the same price: $140 per person for unlimited use on five- to nine-day sailings; $199 per person for unlimited use on sailings of 10 days or more." Does this mean that only one person has to purchase it or both passengers in a cabin?

You are given one login/password that can be used on only one device at a time. My husband and I share an iPad - so therefore his internet was effectively my internet - but only one of us could use it at a time. YMMV :)

Currently on Constellation, and they just installed Xcelerate right before we took off for the Transatlantic.

Fourth day at sea, and it is working great. We are Elite Plus, so got the unlimited package for a 35% discount - $129 for the 13 days.

Only one device at a time. If I am logged on with my iPhone and attempt to log on my laptop, it will prompt me and ask if I want to log off my iPhone and log on to my laptop. I hit the tab, and automatically log off the phone and onto the laptop.

They took away my free 240 minutes and converted it to the unlimited package. I suppose my wife's 240 free minutes might still work if she logs on with her seapass/folio number.

Anyone? Someone who is Elite or Elite+ is bound to know.

Did you miss this post above?

"Fourth day at sea, and it is working great. We are Elite Plus, so got the unlimited package for a 35% discount - $129 for the 13 days." That was a 14 day cruise. Discount is the same percentage for a week long cruise.

Edited by az_tchr

I could not find a verifying link but I believe that installation of Xcellerate on Celebrity ships represents a change over from their past Satellite based Broadband internet service provider to 03b Networks.

O3b is a new face in Satellite based internet service even though they've been around since 2007. It wasn't until 2013 though that RCCL entered into an agreement with 03b to use their service aboard Athem and Oasis of the Seas.

The technology for this service is not new. What is new is that the geostationary satellites that 03b launched over the last several years are in a much lower orbit than their competitors. What this does is reduce the latency of the broadband signals making internet service aboard ship faster. I also think that the bandwidth or the pipe through which the signals travel is larger and that allows more data to be piped - hence streaming video and faster upload and download of photos.

I suspect that the "installation" of Xcellerate on Celebrity's ships involves new modems and WIFI routers to accommodate the features 03b provides. In any event, it's a nice upgrade providing a faster, more robust WIFI experience but keep in mind, it is still a satellite based system and will not be as fast as even lower end land based systems.

On summit right now. First cruise with celebrity so i do not get all the elite, aqua, michaels club...etc... perks. This is a fyi for all others. My cruise is 7 days. It is $20 a day or $140 for the cruise for unlimited internet. If you want to sign your cabin mate up they are running a special for 50% off. It is for both my husband and i $210. Speed is great. You can stream, watch netflix apparently per advertisement. I don't know what other ships are doing. This post pertains to the summit.

Did you miss this post above?

"Fourth day at sea, and it is working great. We are Elite Plus, so got the unlimited package for a 35% discount - $129 for the 13 days." That was a 14 day cruise. Discount is the same percentage for a week long cruise.

OMG, I completely missed that! Thanks! Now I'm going to go get my glasses so I can actually SEE things. :o

Currently on Constellation, and they just installed Xcelerate right before we took off for the Transatlantic.

Fourth day at sea, and it is working great. We are Elite Plus, so got the unlimited package for a 35% discount - $129 for the 13 days.

Only one device at a time. If I am logged on with my iPhone and attempt to log on my laptop, it will prompt me and ask if I want to log off my iPhone and log on to my laptop. I hit the tab, and automatically log off the phone and onto the laptop.

They took away my free 240 minutes and converted it to the unlimited package. I suppose my wife's 240 free minutes might still work if she logs on with her seapass/folio number.

Can you please confirm that Elite+ still get the 240 minutes free? We don't need unlimited, and on a one week cruise 240 minutes x 2 is more than enough for my DH and I.

Thanks so much.

Just finished a caribbean cruise on the Summit. Got the unlimited package and overall a little disappointed. Web browsing was usually ok though it had frequent slow downs and at times just nonresponsive. We were able to use Verizon wifi calling to make voice and facetime calls back home but usually it took 4-5 attempts to get a call through and even then it would lose connection once or twice during the call with frequent stutterings.

Overall it was usable and allowed us to call back home, post some pictures, check facebook/email and text. I certainly wouldn't have been able to do any significant streaming though.

Currently on Eclipse - yes we have xcellerate but no - although they advertise that you can stream Netflix etc - you CAN't at this moment 4.45pm even this cruise critic forum will barely load but at least with unlimited it doesn't matter to much how long it takes. Select members get 25% off so compared with the old by the minute charges it isn't too badly priced