Sending flowers to friends onboard

Cruisfan

I have friends who are presently cruising and he just lost his mother. I would like to send flowers but was told by Holland America that I could not do that. However, I know that you, as a passenger, can order flowers. Has anyone done this before and how do I proceed?

Cruisfan

I have friends who are presently cruising and he just lost his mother. I would like to send flowers but was told by Holland America that I could not do that. However, I know that you, as a passenger, can order flowers. Has anyone done this before and how do I proceed?

Cruisfan

So you talked to someone at HAL and they told you no? That seems bizarre as you want to give them money to help someone through a difficult time. Hopefully someone will post on a way to get this done. It is very nice of you to think of doing it.

Cruisfan

Did you call Ship Services, 1‐800‐541‐1576 and explain the circumstances? If they can't do it, I'm at a loss to help.

I did call customer service and they told me there is no florist on board this ship. It's the Noordam going to the South Pacific, an area rich in tropical flowers. I have trouble believing they do not have flowers on board ship. I ordered some for my own stateroom last summer with no problem at all.

If you cannot achieve this by calling, or emailing HAL at hal_ship_services@hollandamerica.com perhaps you can do this:

According to the HAL website, you can order for someone on a cruise, without being a passenger. It seems you need to go to the HAL website and register (it is free). The website is at: http://www.hollandamerica.com

According to HAL you must have a Holland America Line account to complete your purchase. If you do not currently have a Holland America Line account, click the link to Register located at the top of the site. You can order gifts for yourself or guests booked on any cruise. If ordering for friends or family, all you need is their last name and booking number.

You can find the list of flowers (and other gift items) by downloading this brochure:

https://book.hollandamerica.com/pdfs/onboard/Gift_Order_Polar.pdf

Please let us know if this works.

I did call customer service and they told me there is no florist on board this ship. It's the Noordam going to the South Pacific, an area rich in tropical flowers. I have trouble believing they do not have flowers on board ship. I ordered some for my own stateroom last summer with no problem at all.

I actually ran into this a few years ago on the Maasdam. I wanted flowers delivered to our cabin for our anniversary about half way through our cruise. I was told I needed to order them for delivery at the beginning of the cruise, in essence while we were still in port in Ft Lauderdale. My impression is that HAL has cut back on the on-board florists and certainly the marvelous flower arrangements we used to see are fewer and sometimes nowhere to be found on some ships or cruises. They may still have florists on some ships for some cruises but the once gorgeous arrangements like along the Ocean Bar atrium wall are fewer and less elaborate.

Edited by Randyk47

With all the flowers on the dam ships I seriously doubt that there is no florist on board the Noordam. Contact Ship Services.

I would try calling ship services again and explain the situation.

On our recent Westerdam cruise there were very few flowers around the ship. It might be different now that she is on a different itinerary. We have done this 21 day itinerary several times and had always picked lots of fresh fruits, vegetables and flowers in Puerto Quetzal -- not this year.

More cutbacks.

Hope you can get this straightened out before the cruise is over.

Do you think your friends may leave the ship before the cruise is over to attend the funeral?

Thank you all for your responses. I called Customer Service again today and this is what I was told.

1. the is no florist on board the ship anymore

2. orders have to be placed 48 hrs before departure

3. the best they could do was contact the ship directly to see if they could do anything and will call me to let me know the cost etc.

I will let you know when I hear back from them.

My other thought was contact a florist at their first port of call to see if they deliver to the ship. Has anyone done this?

Cruisfan

Keep us updated on what happens.

Glad you called back.

Sad that HAL has decided again to cut out the florists.

Well that's a sad state of affairs. Sorry, can you do anything else for them?

3. the best they could do was contact the ship directly to see if they could do anything and will call me to let me know the cost etc.

A reasonable offer if there's no one on board who can put an arrangement together. I hope it works out.

My other thought was contact a florist at their first port of call to see if they deliver to the ship.

Hopefully, you'll be successful. It's a thoughtful gesture at a terrible time.

If this doesn't work out, how about a floral arrangement delivered to them shortly after they return home?

There is a florist on every HAL ship, it's contractural. I guess one can get sick when no sub is available bit florists are still part of HAL's roster.

Isn't there a book of floral arrangements behind the front desk that one ask to see and order from. There was on my last two cruises. I remember the lady in front of me.... OMG, she must have taken 10 minutes to order and the line behind me was getting very long.

That's crazy. We were on the Noordam this past November and my friends who were in another cabin sent us the most beautiful flowers while we were cruising. The florist was amazing, and definitely on board. They even did floral demonstrations on sea days. Try again. Unless they took the florist off the ship, they should be able to help you out.

Still no news from HAL. I agree with others about ordering flowers while on board. I know it can be done. I've done it myself and I can not believe that all the arrangements are sold in advance. There must be some extras for special occasions that arrise while cruising. I am very disappointed. They are not due back until May 10th. It seems a long time to wait to do something.

Cruisfan

Still no news from HAL. I agree with others about ordering flowers while on board. I know it can be done. I've done it myself and I can not believe that all the arrangements are sold in advance. There must be some extras for special occasions that arrise while cruising. I am very disappointed. They are not due back until May 10th. It seems a long time to wait to do something.

Cruisfan

So sorry that you have not been successful in getting flowers for your Friends.. You keep mentioning Customer Service, but wonder if you actually contacted "SHIPS SERVICES" to try to get the flowers.. I've been hoping all along that "Ships Services " would be able to help you.. Ruth is probably right in suggesting you send flowers or a plant when they get home.. Or as you mentioned, perhaps you could get a local florest to deliver to a port if you know where the ship will be & when...

It looks like the ship will be in Vancouver on May 01 for an Alaskan cruise, but maybe I'm reading it all wrong.. Are your Friends planning on going to Alaska with the Noordam?

BTW just printed up the HAL Indulgences & in the fine print on the 4th page it reads:

Quote Flowers and some packages may not be available within 3 business days of sailing Unquote

Actually had to use my powerful magnifying glass to read this extra fine print in the lower right hand corner! They don't make it easy to read.. :eek:

Edited by serendipity1499