Luminae Questions

twopats

One thing that we noticed about dining in Luminae that I did not like. The wine list I was given in Luminae is different from the wine list you are provided in the MDR.

There were almost no wines less than $50 a bottle on the Luminae wine list. I asked the wait staff for some help and they came up with a good wine for $37 that was good. The next day, I purchased a five bottle wine package, which then made is easier to order, since that is a separate list from which you can pick the wines.

I guess the assumption is that people wealthy enough to have a suite and dine in Luminae want more expensive wines. Makes some sense, but didn't work for me.

It has absolutely nothing at all to do with wealth and wealthy people liking better wines. It's all about taste, what one likes, not wealth. Let's just clear that up right now.

The sommelier in Luminae will work in the package and she usually brought us bottles that were not on the menu. She went around the ship to find what she thought we'd like, she didn't just go on their menu. Honestly we never even looked at Luminae's wine menu and we had wine every dinner and some lunches too:eek::eek:

. The very first lunch on board she came and found out what we like to drink and made note of it, and every evening on board she had a great wine. Sometimes two. Halfway through the cruise she began to stretch our tastings and we learned a lot from her. Since she refilled the wine glasses every time they were nearly empty, she just kept the bottle right at the table. On a few occasions she made a suggestion that put the glass $2-5 or so above the premium package we had, but it was great wine and we just used our OBC.

Great information here. :) I love to eat :eek: (and I do like my wine :rolleyes: ) so I am sure that we will find plenty to fill those desires in Luminae. Since we have a bunch of OBC treating my daughter and her husband will be a great way to spend it. We got the Premium Drink package with our booking so that takes care of the wine bit.

Seahags.................have fun. ;) Wish you guys were with us.

It has absolutely nothing at all to do with wealth and wealthy people liking better wines. It's all about taste, what one likes, not wealth. Let's just clear that up right now.

The sommelier in Luminae will work in the package and she usually brought us bottles that were not on the menu. She went around the ship to find what she thought we'd like, she didn't just go on their menu. Honestly we never even looked at Luminae's wine menu and we had wine every dinner and some lunches too:eek::eek:

. The very first lunch on board she came and found out what we like to drink and made note of it, and every evening on board she had a great wine. Sometimes two. Halfway through the cruise she began to stretch our tastings and we learned a lot from her. Since she refilled the wine glasses every time they were nearly empty, she just kept the bottle right at the table. On a few occasions she made a suggestion that put the glass $2-5 or so above the premium package we had, but it was great wine and we just used our OBC.

The sommelier at Luminate was good to you, as our was on that first night.

You start out saying that it has nothing to do with wealth, but taste.

Then you state that the menu was not a factor at all. If the menu was not so useful, then you may agree with me that it was of little value.

Certainly, Celebrity could have provided a more flexible menu with more choices, even some moderately priced wines.

I'm getting the picture that for best results in Luminae we should think of it as our favorite neighborhood Italian restaurant. There's a menu, but the chef is happy to make anything you ask for if the ingredients are to hand. And the same seems to apply to the Luminae sommelier -- no need to worry about the wine menu, because the range of wines by the glass can be expanded to include anything onboard that will improve your experience (and by billing it by the glass, you get credit for the premium package per-drink allowance not just the % bottle discount). If that's how it works, I can't ask for better than that.

Our experience with wine by the glass in Luminae on Eclipse was; if it was available by the glass anywhere on board the Sommelier, Maggie, was willing to pour the bottle by the glass with the upcharge. Even when we tried to order a bottle of wine, she steered us to the wine by the glass with the upcharge.

Great Summation!! Can't wait to try it out...down to single digits now:D:D:D:D

I'm getting the picture that for best results in Luminae we should think of it as our favorite neighborhood Italian restaurant. There's a menu, but the chef is happy to make anything you ask for if the ingredients are to hand. And the same seems to apply to the Luminae sommelier -- no need to worry about the wine menu, because the range of wines by the glass can be expanded to include anything onboard that will improve your experience (and by billing it by the glass, you get credit for the premium package per-drink allowance not just the % bottle discount). If that's how it works, I can't ask for better than that.

We have had two cruises with access to Lumanie. We really enjoyed breakfast at the restaurant. Most dinners, were okay, surely better then Blu and the regular dining room with wonderful service. However for dinner most evenings, we dined in specialty restaurants, especially on the Reflection and Sihouette. We had access to many great speciality restaurants including the Lawn Grill and the porch which aren't available on other solstice class ships. The cost for the unlimited dining plan was $29pp per day and IMO well worth it.

This summer we will be on the Summit with family. Since the only specialty dining venues for dinner are Qsine and Tuscan we will dine in Lumanie and once in each speciality restaurant. We are traveling with family who are also in SS's but they might not want to spend $29 pp per day extra .

Great information here. :) I love to eat :eek: (and I do like my wine :rolleyes: ) so I am sure that we will find plenty to fill those desires in Luminae. Since we have a bunch of OBC treating my daughter and her husband will be a great way to spend it. We got the Premium Drink package with our booking so that takes care of the wine bit.

Just be aware that guest access to Luminae is on a space available basis. People have reported it not being an issue because the onboard crew is typically very accommodating. But, I think they have the ability to enforce the rule if the situation warrants.

From one such Suite Class FAQ:

If guests are allowed in the Luminae, is there a chance a Suite Class guest will not be admitted or have to wait?

There is ample seating in Luminae to accommodate all Suite Class guests, as well as a limited number of additional guests invited by Suite Class guests to dine with them. However, these invited guests will only be admitted with prior reservation on a space-available basis for a fee

I personally was not allowed to eat in Blu one night under the same rationale, and it's advertised to Suite guests that Blu is available on a space available basis. Wouldn't hurt to have alternate arrangements just in case.

Edited by bEwAbG

while we did enjoy luminae, since guests cost $50 pp, perhaps you all should consider dining in a specialty restaurant. Food is much better in specialty restaurants

And we cancelled our specialty dining reservations because we honestly felt the best food on the ship was Luminae. We even had two free dinners and we only used one.

Good thing we all have a choice!

And we cancelled our specialty dining reservations because we honestly felt the best food on the ship was Luminae. We even had two free dinners and we only used one.

I concur. And although I have a pretty experienced wine palate I was pretty satisfied with the by-the-glass premium choices. Although I have to say honestly that after the first two glasses I could have been served worse without my noticing!

The sommelier on Eclipse (it was Maggie on our sailing) was wonderful. She absolutely *made* our meals with her perfect wine selections.

Maggie was our sommelier as well in January - she was the best one we'd EVER had. Always picked us some fun new wine to try by the glass.

ditto

Maggie was our sommelier as well in January - she was the best one we'd EVER had. Always picked us some fun new wine to try by the glass.

We had Maggie March and agree she was great. Even when we wanted to buy a bottle of wine she found us one that was sold by the glass so we only paid the upcharge.

Agree with Papa's comments and will add this. We really enjoy Blu, especially the breakfasts, and even chose to dine once at Blu for breakfast rather than Luminae. Blu has healthier food and I am less susceptible to overdoing it than at Luminae. I thought the filet the first night at Luminae rivaled or bested Tuscan.

What is healthier about Blu's food?

What is healthier about Blu's food?

Particularly in light of the latest medical findings [until they are reversed next week! ;)] that fat and cholesterol in your diet have ZERO impact on your blood levels of fat or cholesterol or your heart health. The only bad things now are partially-hydrogenated fat [the previous "miracle" life-saving breakthrough ;)] and refined sugar -- and of course whenever a chef or food preparer removes fat they replace it with ... refined sugar. I've always said "Give me rich French sauces any day -- even if it does kill me, at least I'll die happy!" So how great is it that now I learn it is actually the best thing for me? Life is good! :D

Particularly in light of the latest medical findings [until they are reversed next week! ;)] that fat and cholesterol in your diet have ZERO impact on your blood levels of fat or cholesterol or your heart health. The only bad things now are partially-hydrogenated fat [the previous "miracle" life-saving breakthrough ;)] and refined sugar -- and of course whenever a chef or food preparer removes fat they replace it with ... refined sugar. I've always said "Give me rich French sauces any day -- even if it does kill me, at least I'll die happy!" So how great is it that now I learn it is actually the best thing for me? Life is good! :D

Jazzbeau,

I have read studies that seem to show that plaque buildup in your arteries is not related to diet. There was one from Finland that was interesting. However, I read WebMD and others that disagree. My doctors from the past several years are in the camp that still believes in controlling cholesterol in the blood. DW and I do not eat a high fat diet, but my cholesterol numbers have moved up, largely because of age (so my doc says). So I am on low dose statins.

I do agree with you strongly about partially-hydrogenated fat and refined sugar. I remember Jack La Lane's exercise show years ago "Sugar is your enemy."

We do eat desserts while on a cruise, but many of the cruise ship desserts are of modest size. There are exceptions, like Celebrity's wonderful Crepe Suzette.

Growing up in the South, fried foods were very much a part of our diet, but we only occasionally go fried anymore. I still think that is wise. Also, I think diet sodas are not healthy and have not had moe for about 15 years.

The food in Luminae did not appear to us to be heavy on what I call gratuitous fat or sugar.

I am not a physician, but believe based on friends, family and my life experience, that the most important factor of plaque build up is hereditary. Of course if you abuse your body that will surely contribute. But I know skinny people who eat and excercise, have plaque build up.

I think the best bet is moderation-keeep your weight down and if you have heart disease in your family see your Dr. at least twice a year.

I posted above right after listening to The People's Pharmacy show on NPR. They interviewed Dr. Mark Hyman, who has recently published the book Eat Fat, Get Thin: Why the Fat We Eat Is the Key to Sustained Weight Loss and Vibrant Health. His point is that recent studies (the first really scientific, controlled studies) show that eating fat is actually crucial to good health and that a low-fat diet, because it will inevitably increase the percentage of calories from carbohydrates, is bad and will in many cases raise cholesterol (especially the "bad" cholesterol).

http://smile.amazon.com/Eat-Fat-Get-Thin-Sustained/dp/0316338834/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1460736892&sr=1-1&keywords=eat+fat+get+thin

I posted above right after listening to The People's Pharmacy show on NPR. They interviewed Dr. Mark Hyman, who has recently published the book Eat Fat, Get Thin: Why the Fat We Eat Is the Key to Sustained Weight Loss and Vibrant Health. His point is that recent studies (the first really scientific, controlled studies) show that eating fat is actually crucial to good health and that a low-fat diet, because it will inevitably increase the percentage of calories from carbohydrates, is bad and will in many cases raise cholesterol (especially the "bad" cholesterol).

http://smile.amazon.com/Eat-Fat-Get-Thin-Sustained/dp/0316338834/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1460736892&sr=1-1&keywords=eat+fat+get+thin

This is also in the news this week because the study on which the low-fat advice was based included never-released data from 40 (!) years ago that undermined the central conceit that a low fat diet is inherently better for you than a high fat diet. Thanks a lot, science! ;)

http://www.chicagotribune.com/lifestyles/health/ct-fatty-foods-diet-20160412-story.html

This is also in the news this week because the study on which the low-fat advice was based included never-released data from 40 (!) years ago that undermined the central conceit that a low fat diet is inherently better for you than a high fat diet. Thanks a lot, science! ;)

http://www.chicagotribune.com/lifestyles/health/ct-fatty-foods-diet-20160412-story.html

Then in a couple of weeks we might hear contradictions- I truly believe that moderation is the key- and nothing trumps genes!

This is our first cruise on Silhouette in a suite and wonder how Luminae compares to the specialty restaurants. Is the food so superior from the main dining room that it is not worthwhile to pay extra for the specialty ones? Are they open for any other meals besides dinner? We are Elite Plus so I think there is a special place for breakfast and is that something to try as well?

Thanks so much for anyone's input.

Trish

We loved Lunimae and surprisingly thought it was better than the true specialty restaurants. We dined there on Reflection for the 3/26 sailing. We did bring guests once and the guest structure was $10 breakfast/$20 lunch/$30 dinner. I think the reduced prices were reasonable and the dining room was still never completely full so it didn't overcrowd or hinder the experience. I have a bunch of picture of the food and menus on my website if you want to see:

http://www.myvirtualvacations.net/luminae.html

Hope that helps!

We've had 2 sailings with Luminae as our dining room. I have to say I found the sea food to be better prepared than in the specialty restaurants, which tended to be overdone for my tastes. They are very willing to prepare food to your liking; for example, they have an excellent trout wrapped in bacon. Wanting to limit the amount of fat I requested just a grilled trout with the sauce on the side. Not a problem at all.