Dispute charge with credit card

I you do dispute the charge, Royal will never accept a charge from that card again.

I do not think that Royal is able to do this based on agreements that merchants make with Visa, MC, AMEX. They may be able to not allow a person to charge with them, but I do not think they have the right (or ability, quite frankly) to say "No" to a card that passes all required validation hurdles (available credit, in good standing, fraud checks, etc). - Full transparency - I work for a major card issuer, so am pretty familiar with the rules from V, MC.

Of course, I don't think the OP would win a dispute with this scenario anyway -- his issuer might, temporarily, give him his money back, but will likely take it away again after RCI explains.

Mike

I do not think that Royal is able to do this based on agreements that merchants make with Visa, MC, AMEX. They may be able to not allow a person to charge with them, but I do not think they have the right (or ability, quite frankly) to say "No" to a card that passes all required validation hurdles (available credit, in good standing, fraud checks, etc). - Full transparency - I work for a major card issuer, so am pretty familiar with the rules from V, MC.

Of course, I don't think the OP would win a dispute with this scenario anyway -- his issuer might, temporarily, give him his money back, but will likely take it away again after RCI explains.

Mike

Well, I can't say it's happened to me, but it has been reported here by others.

I would continue to take it to a higher level. While it may be within the rules it does not mean it is a good rule.

Write a letter (email) to the top brass at Royal explaining your issue. The key point is if your description stated a 165 sq ft room - that is what you should get. If their website or other material have not been updated to meet the layout of the ship you as the customer should not be penalized. You booked an inside stateroom and not a studio in good faith and that is what you should get.

Just keep going up the chain until you get someone with the authority to actually fix this.

You can also request that if they get a no show or cancel you be moved to that room.

Good luck OP

I agree.. If the description says 165 sq ft room than you should get that. It's black and white. But if the wording is vague and there is fine print that says, not exactly as shown or described than they will say your are our of luck. Hope it works out

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Like Carol said, the only option would be to go back into the giarantee pool, if they allow it. Once you've been assigned a stateroom, you can only switch to the same exact category, which would be another studio.

Thanks Bob. I wasn't aware of how that worked. I thought if you had an inside guarantee then you could switch to any inside. I guess it makes sense, but really a bummer for the OP.

I think I would call back and get them to raise the OBC.

Thanks Bob. I wasn't aware of how that worked. I thought if you had an inside guarantee then you could switch to any inside. I guess it makes sense, but really a bummer for the OP.

I think I would call back and get them to raise the OBC.

I would work on that 165 sq ft part. If they are not giving a stateroom at least as large as was described, and they are sold out and cannot move the OP, then at the very least they should allow the OP to cancel for a full refund.

Technically speaking, a studio interior cabin (SI) is an inside cabin, so an inside guarantee (Z) could put you at that category. This category has only one twin, not two, so definitely not the same as paying 200% for an inside cabin.

Sometimes the SI can be less expensive than an inside, but when the supply is low, the prices of one person in a SI could be higher than another inside category.

Hope you enjoy the cruise or get a resolution from higher up that would meet your satisfaction.

Just want to give an update. RCI said there is nothing they can do for me. No other cabins to put me in, no compensation, nada. I have been cruising RCI for over ten years and have seen how the customer service has declined. After 4 different phone calls and at least 2-3 hours total on the phone, (including tears), I have given up. So, I decided to face my fears (claustrophobic) and go on cruise. I know what to do differently next time.

I would work on that 165 sq ft part. If they are not giving a stateroom at least as large as was described, and they are sold out and cannot move the OP, then at the very least they should allow the OP to cancel for a full refund.

I can't currently go into Royal reservations (shocking), but they are not showing the date as "Sold Out". Another alternative, as they say they are sold out of insides, is to upgrade to window or, if needed, a balcony. Etc. This is, IMO, a downgrade - would they offer this to two people sailing? I don't care that it is an inside, the OP thought they were getting a cabin as described. Sounds like a bait and switch and discriminatory to solo travelers.

I hope there's enough ambient light to help with the claustrophobia. Even the bathroom light left on with the door shut. Once you're there, one person and one twin might feel a little larger than it is. Try to think of it as your crash pad and enjoy everything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Contrary to what I have read, I always find there is plenty of ambient light in an inside cabin. I was expecting it to be totally dark but find there is usually a light on the TV, light from under the cabin door, a light on any gadget we have plugged in etc.

Not saying that this would be enough for OP, just saying that I was surprised at how much light there was considering what I had read.

I hope you have a great cruise! Please enjoy your vacation. Not counting the time I am sleeping or showering, I figure we are in the cabin for less than an hour a day. We do spend time on our balcony, but in this case, there is no balcony time to figure in. All that being said,...

I am a planner. I plan every detail of our vacation, from transportation to and from our home, transportation from airport to day before cruise hotel, transportation from hotel to port, and after the cruise transportation from port to airport. I plan where on the ship I want to be, and then pick our stateroom.

I would never let my cabin choice, the most important aspect of our cruise after ship and itinerary, up to someone else. With all the money being spent on everything else I mentioned, Is it worth saving a few dollars by booking a GTY in the hope you will score something good.

I hope everyone that books GTY has learned a valuable lesson,

because there is no education in the second kick from a mule!

You are still 2 weeks from sailing - I would ask to be put back in the GTY pool - some other category inside might become available and they could put you in it.I don't see a down side to being back in the pool - unless the location of the currently assigned SI is really good.

dedosr, I agree with you. I have never had a problem with GTY before and never complained if the location was not ideal. But, this circumstance is a little more complicated than just complaining about a room assignment. Without going through the whole thing again as stated in previous posts, RCI did a bait and switch on me. They still have not fixed their website in that they are not informing passengers that they could be assigned a studio. I am surprised that I haven't heard from anyone defending these studios. Like good location, roomy, anything?

Just want to give an update. RCI said there is nothing they can do for me. No other cabins to put me in, no compensation, nada. I have been cruising RCI for over ten years and have seen how the customer service has declined. After 4 different phone calls and at least 2-3 hours total on the phone, (including tears), I have given up. So, I decided to face my fears (claustrophobic) and go on cruise. I know what to do differently next time.

Send an email stating your problem here -

rfain@rccl.com

cc:

mbayley@rccl.com

DirectorGuestRelations@rccl.com

many CEO's have people who regularly monitor email for issues such as this

It certainly can't hurt

Edited by CapeCodCruiser

I'm going to agree with the poster here. They paid for a Royal King Bed, couch/sitting area and 160 sq feet. The received 108 sq ft w/o couch/sitting area and with a double bed. The price of this room is about 160% of a double. The poster paid 200% or one can say, full price for two people.

Now RCCL can say, they actually paid 150% because the second person is 1/2 but the price of sales is really only marketing gimmick since they are priced to get the same price no matter what the sale is.

At the very least, the poster is owed 40% of the booking because that is what the room is listed at.

The deck plan for Radiance class ships has interior stateroom 160 sq. ft. cat. K L M N & Q.

Studio interior stateroom 108 sq. ft. cat. SI is listed alone.

I would not want to pay 200% for a single room of 108 sq.ft.

This is still paying double for a single room.

It's clearly not what was advertised in a description. You have three choices.

1. Bail out and dispute the charge

2. Go w/ a written agreement that they will upgrade you if a cabin opens up.

3. See if they are willing to place you on a different cruise or ship.

If you bail, you best be prepared. I would contact the Credit Card company now and let them know your intentions. I would also print anything/everything that can support your case.

Lastly, I do believe that they recognize there is an error or they would not be offering you extra goodies. Having said this, there may not be another cabin for you. Good luck.

Not sure if you've seen this, but here are some pictures and description of a studio interior (SI) on Serenade:

http://hadleyswanderingsandramblings.blogspot.com/2013/11/photos-of-staterooms-on-serenade-of.html

Looks like a single bed, not a double. I had never heard of this room before on Serenade.

I think Royal was very sneaky to do that. They should have tried harder to make you happy, especially when you called and complained, and had extended discussions about your disappointment. If you paid 200%, the least they can do is refund you 40%, as you should have paid 160% according to this webpage and others' posts. I would continue to protest; ask for resolutions and stick to the fact that you were charged 200% on a 160% category room. (ps I am not familiar with booking as a single so excuse me if I have got this wrong).

Edited by marci22

This is, IMO, a downgrade - would they offer this to two people sailing? I don't care that it is an inside, the OP thought they were getting a cabin as described. Sounds like a bait and switch and discriminatory to solo travelers.

^^^This

Merion Mom, they don't say anything about studio cabins on the RCI wesite. When you choose a GTY, they describe the room as 165 square feet, two beds, anywhere on ship. The studio is a downgrade to 100 sq feet and one bed. Plus, when is a studio priced at 200% anywhere in the cruise industry? I feel like I am not getting what I paid for. I am also claustrophobic and experience motion sickness, So, positioning my body forward and aft on a double bed helps. Cannot do that in a studio.

I agree the OP isn't getting what they paid for as a studio isn't a regular inside cabin which always has the minimum category for a Z Gty as most others have stated. RCI is taking advantage that the OP booked as a solo passenger, even thought that person paid a 200% single supplement price.

If it's any satisfaction the bed in the Radiance class studio are positioned along the length of the ship not sideways as the cabin is layout, as in its length, is from front to back. Also these being just aft of the centrum on deck 4 it is a very good location for having the least motion in rough seas. As you see in the shots below the entrance is on the side.

attachment.php?attachmentid=382862&d=1460744985

attachment.php?attachmentid=382863&d=1460744985

PB220362.jpg.224c871c0f84c4ea21c55f7bc41a5c04.jpg

PB220363.jpg.01715e9af5d6380487d5e07800312117.jpg

Edited by robtulipe

Maybe this is a blessing in disguise? On my TA last April, once we hit the north Atlantic, I was telling myself never again. Well, maybe this cabin will help with that. Now, I just need to get over the fact that I paid 200% and was treated like doo doo.