Cruising with a colostomy

wordsjustfly

Hi there -

I'm a new colostomy patient - lost 15 inches of my colon due to diverticular disease.

There has to be someone out there who's cruised as a colostomy patient.

I'm a little intimidated to travel with a colostomy but I know it can be done.

While she hasn't cruised since her procedure, my MIL had it done a couple years ago and traveled from NZ to visit us in Florida and she had no issues. Packed all her necessary supplies with her, was prepared for any "incidents" that may have arisen, and mentioned it to security at the airport with no problems. They (travel industry) deal with situations like these all the time. If you are concerned at all about specific accommodations, you can always contact the cruise line directly and ask. My MIL also managed to go to the beach with us no issues whatsoever.

Bottom line, enjoy your cruise, and with a little planning ahead of time in case situations arise you'll have a great trip.

Hi there -

I'm a new colostomy patient - lost 15 inches of my colon due to diverticular disease.

Here is another thread on the subject:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1571924

Edited by clarea

Really good advice on the thread that was linked. Regarding all of the supplies that you will need to bring with you, along with your medications: if you are flying to your departure port, bring them all in your carry on, not your checked luggage (except scissors- put a very small pair in your checked luggage). Medical supplies do not count towards your carry on limit. Put them all in their own bag. You don't want them in your checked baggage if it gets misplaced.

You should also post your question on the "Disabled Cruise Travel" subforum of CruiseCritic:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

You'll get hints from a wide variety of folks with experience on many cruise lines.

You might also want to post the cruise line you are using, in case there are any specific suggestions or hints.

Good luck, and enjoy!

Definitely stay out of situations where an infection is more likely to occur, such as a pool or hot tub and even the ocean. But since I am not an doctor......please contact your local urology doctor and get there "things not to do" list.

With all due respect - bull patties. Swimming, whether it is a pool or the ocean, and hot tubs are perfectly safe as far as an ostomy is concerned. The OP only needs to ensure that the appliance is properly secured.

And why would someone with a colostomy seek advice from a urologist?

Mom - because we dont know how long the incision has been there and whether she is at a higher risk of infection.

If you want to be responsible for her potential infection, fine, I will NOT!

A urologist is responsible for bladder and kidney issues. They are the experts!

Mom - because we dont know how long the incision has been there and whether she is at a higher risk of infection.

If you want to be responsible for her potential infection, fine, I will NOT!

A urologist is responsible for bladder and kidney issues. They are the experts!

I can't think of a single ostomy patient who would be allowed to go on a cruise with an unhealed incision. No doctor would be OK with that. And a healed incision is not at risk for infection. And I'm sure the OP is a sensible person. Her question did not concern incision care.

And the doctor who would monitor a colostomy is NOT a urologist, but a gastroenerologist or general surgeon. Urologists do not as a rule care for patients with bowel disorders. 30 years as a surgical nurse has at least taught me that much.

Edited by mom says

Fear not, dear cruiser! My father has an ostomy and has cruised many times. He makes sure to pack double the supplies he expects to use, just in case of needing to make more frequent changes. My dad has pretty specific supplies, as it took a while to find the best set up to work for him, so he orders everything well ahead of time and packs it all. He brings the deoderizer spray, as the ostomy can be a bit smelly when changing or emptying. He also uses these capsules called gel-x that you can put into the ostomy bag, which helps to solidify/gel the liquid output, making it less messy to empty.

• 1 year later...
Hi there -

Unfortunately this just happened to me this week and we will be cruising late September on Summit with my bag. It is temporary so I will likely wait until after the cruise to get my reversal procedure so I can avoid any surgical complications. I just made final payment and don't want to lose it. I have gone to the disabled cruising sub-forum, Not much info there. Anybody have any updated advice, experience, tips??

Thanks!

It has been a while since I had to wear an ostomy appliance. (Had an ileostomy reversal a number of years ago.) So my familiarity with current technology is sketchy.

As others have suggested, take more supplies than you expect to need.

When traveling, consider using drainable pouches. Pros and cons with this. It's great as one can easily empty the bag without worrying about stoma drip. The big con is making sure the bottom is resealed properly. So choose a pouch with a positive locking mechanism rather than the rollup type.

I liked to travel with a colored (non-transparent) pouch. While rare, one occasionally has to expose the pouch and most people find the contents off-putting.

Take advantage of opportunities to empty the pouch before it fills too much. Travel often involves unpredictable waits with limited access to facilities.

If one is using barriers or one-pieces that need cutting, travel with a couple that have been cut-to-fit ahead of time.

As has been said, pack your supplies in a carry on. Tell the TSA you have medical supplies for your condition and let them inspect the bag. Check https://www.tsa.gov/travel/special-procedures. There is an option for listing specifics on clearing security with an ostomy bag.

I am a paranoid traveler, so I also packed some of my supplies in checked luggage.

Odor control is important. There are several different products. I used drops. But I see there are now single use packets available. While more expensive they would be much more convenient when traveling.

Ship security doesn't care. Unless asked, there is no need to inform them ahead of time.

Hi there -

Hi I am going on a cruise next year I have an ileostomy, I was advised by my TA to get a letter stating fit to travel from my gp but nothing else x