Our Teen's experience with Ruby Princess Security

Silent Penguin

This bears so many similarities to a situation involving my 14 year old daughter on another line. That line also handled the situation well.

You handled the situation perfectly. Your daughter will likely never forget how you supported her in this situation and brought it to the authorities. Her willingness to come to you speaks to the relationship you have cultivated.

I get the feeling that the boy got the sternest lecture from his parents...at least I hope so.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

Other than that, I hope your cruise was wonderful!! :D

Oh, yes, the cruise was wonderful! Thank you. I expect you are right about the lecture! At the very least, he must have embarrassed them. Even if they weren't on some level appalled -after all, they might not see the harm in an 18-20 year old boy trying to "hook up" with teenage girls - I'm sure they were embarrassed. Maybe, at first, they were even a little afraid of what was going to happen. I don't know what his dad looks like, but I can easily imagine the scene when the translator repeated the report to the parents. I used to teach middle school. The scenario is not unfamiliar to me. As for him, I agree with those who expressed doubt that the young man will change his ways. It's not a perfect world.

No, the young "man"(or the tiger) won't change his stripes. He's probably expected to act like that, in his culture. And kudos, of a sort, to the boy's father for not automatically taking his son's side of the situation. Would like to have been a fly on the wall in their cabin after the security woman left; I probably would have needed an interpreter fly as well.

No, the young "man"(or the tiger) won't change his stripes. He's probably expected to act like that, in his culture. And kudos, of a sort, to the boy's father for not automatically taking his son's side of the situation. Would like to have been a fly on the wall in their cabin after the security woman left; I probably would have needed an interpreter fly as well.

From the original post:

In the days after the Officer spoke to the young man, he never went near the girls again. In fact, on at least one occasion, my daughter witnessed the guy walking in her direction, see her, turn around and walk away quickly.

From the original post:

res ipsa. Yes, it does speak for itself. I just needed to support the process taken by the young lady, her parents, the security officer. But the young man will most likely do the same thing in another arena.

Edited by Treven

It so good to hear that your daughter had the courage to come forward and the Security Officer handled it so well. I have always been impressed how well the Princess security people work in such a low key manner, they are very professional and not in the least obtrusive.

I don’t know about other cruise lines, but here’s a story about security on Princess. We were on the Island Princess. A man around 50 was travelling with his brother and mother. He came up to my DD and her friend (30 YO) and starting commenting on how pretty they were, and how he was a photographer and would they like him to take pictures of them. Ya right! Then he followed her friend. They’re big girls and can handle themselves but it freaked them out. The next day they saw him again and heard him saying the same thing to someone else. THEN we saw him with a younger mother with a small child and he followed her section to section in the photo gallery, basically crowding her. Heard him offer to take the little girl up on deck for ice cream. The feeling that comes to mind is stalking.

We told the photography desk – they called security. It took about 10 minutes for security to show up. During this time the photographer watched him and my DD’s friend kept him occupied. The reason the head of security took so long to get there – because he was in a meeting and immediately left the meeting to meet with the captain and other senior officers on the bridge to discuss how to handle this man. Since at the time they came down he was doing nothing except talking to another adult, they really couldn’t do anything. However, what they did do was follow him from that time forward. We saw him, we saw security watching. Then we never saw him again. The response to our concern was handled quickly and left us feeling a much more secure.

Thank you for the detailed and positive post! I appreciate your time showing us how situations like this CAN happen on a cruise ship (bound to happen with so many people from all walks of life in a confined place) and how the Security staff on the Ruby dealt with it very professionally and it worked out well. Kudos to everyone involved (except the young creep, who I hope will now realize his actions do have consequences).

That's a good question. Here's my take on it. He definitely meant alcohol and he definitely had the means of obtaining it. We learned from the Security Officer that he was part of a very large Spanish-speaking family group traveling together. (He spoke English fluently but an interpreter was present during the meeting his parents attended). In his country, he had been old enough to drink for a little while. More than likely, within his traveling group he had sympathetic older siblings, cousins or uncles (maybe aunts) who would share their wine with him or get him what he wanted from a bar. For all I know, the fellows he palled around with were older cousins or siblings.

Thank you for posting this detail too! Since so many Americans are kind of ignorant of the fact that most countries have a legal drinking age of 18 or even lower, our 21-and-over culture is not normal to them. When they come to the US, they may not know how 'serious' we take this law. Of course, when you look at how many 'under-age' people drink in the US, I wonder how serious we take it too...

Thank you for posting this detail too! Since so many Americans are kind of ignorant of the fact that most countries have a legal drinking age of 18 or even lower, our 21-and-over culture is not normal to them. When they come to the US, they may not know how 'serious' we take this law. Of course, when you look at how many 'under-age' people drink in the US, I wonder how serious we take it too...

Or the fact they weren't actually IN the US so maybe didn't think about the age limit that way either.

You have done a great job with your daughter. The best protection she can have is her gut feeling and being brave/strong enough to go with it even when peer pressure is strong. As a retired high school teacher one of my proudest moments was when a couple of my ex students told me about an incident they were involved in. They looked at each other and said its ok to say no. This is what we had discussed many times just before they graduated. By doing this the type took themselves out of a potentially dangerous situation. Let your girl know (I'm sure you have) how proud you are that she was willing to be strong and an individual rather than sucked in as part of the crowd.

res ipsa. Yes, it does speak for itself. I just needed to support the process taken by the young lady, her parents, the security officer. But the young man will most likely do the same thing in another arena.

Will a healthy red blooded young man ever try and pick up a girl again ? I would be willing to bet on it.

But hopefully this incident will teach him a lesson to walk away when the object of his affections isn't interested .

Good thing it wasn't my daughter. The guy would have been attempting to swim home from the 14th deck.

A kid showed up at my house to date my daughter and I thought he was doing drugs so I said, I'm a war veteran and take things apart that don't go, He said So? and I said, So You'd better go.

Good thing it wasn't my daughter. The guy would have been attempting to swim home from the 14th deck.

A kid showed up at my house to date my daughter and I thought he was doing drugs so I said, I'm a war veteran and take things apart that don't go, He said So? and I said, So You'd better go.

So what did your daughter do/say when she found out you'd chased off her date & how old was she?

So what did your daughter do/say when she found out you'd chased off her date & how old was she?

It doesn't matter, what Dad says goes! Been down that road. Even the parents showed up asking that our daughter see their son, we got them to steppin off our porch. Our son told us that the kid hit my daughter. :eek:

It doesn't matter, what Dad says goes! Been down that road. Even the parents showed up asking that our daughter see their son, we got them to steppin off our porch. Our son told us that the kid hit my daughter. :eek:

Actually been lucky with DDs choices in guys. Nobody too outrageous.

My sons have brought home a few girls , although gorgeous , could grate on your nerves . But they tend to disappear after a while.

My DW is way more ominous to a prospective DIL, then I am too a prospective SIL :)

Oh, I understand that a family isn't a democracy and that Dad or Mom (if Mom is the alpha in a family) has the final say. I was just curious as to any drama, or maybe she's over the drama stage. OH!, if I had absolute understanding that that young man? had hit my daughter, the boy wouldn't get within 100 yards of her. To have the boy's parents show up on your doorstep leads me to wonder what line he had fed his parents.

Oh, I understand that a family isn't a democracy and that Dad or Mom (if Mom is the alpha in a family) has the final say. I was just curious as to any drama, or maybe she's over the drama stage. OH!, if I had absolute understanding that that young man? had hit my daughter, the boy wouldn't get within 100 yards of her. To have the boy's parents show up on your doorstep leads me to wonder what line he had fed his parents.

I don't know the age of the young people involved here , but any kid who needed his parents to go over and try get a girl to see him kinda screams" Loser Boy". And we are talking about a guy over the age of 18 .......YIKES

Glad to hear a positive outcome for all involved....I like that they chose a women from security to handle the situation. But being a mother of single young adult males, don't be native to think that this kind of behavior doesn't happened to "men" from both "men and women, especially women."

Edited by land lover

Definitely kudos to your daughter.

When my daughter was in middle school and had some other girls over, they were discussing one boy who thought he was god's gift to women. I said it's too bad someone (like a dad or male teacher) didn't tell him that there are some rules every young male teen needs to know: 1. Girls talk and 2. Girls remember. The girls were nodding as they know girls will talk amongst themselves about a boy who acts inappropriately toward them.

Last year at her last physical exam with her pediatrician (she turned 18 a few months later), her doctor, who brings up a special topic every year -- for 16-year-olds she talks to her patients about cigarettes including e-cigs, for example. This last topic was about being away at college and being careful, especially at parties. That you never accept a drink from someone, unless it's an unopened can.

Glad to hear a positive outcome for all involved....I like that they chose a women from security to handle the situation. But being a mother of single young adult males, don't be native to think that this kind of behavior doesn't happened to "men" from both "men and women, especially women."

Trust me .....I raised 4 kids 2 boys , 2 girls (now all adults) . I would raise 10 more boys before I raised one girl.

Plus being a 9-1-1 dispatcher for 32 years has been more than an education.

I put nothing NOTHING past these girls today