White Pass Train - passport needed?

BigB0882

If taking the trip to the summit a passport is not required as you only enter a few feet into Canada then turn around and return to Skagway. If you are going beyond the summit a passport, passport card, enhanced drivers license or NEXUS card it required.

If taking the trip to the summit a passport is not required as you only enter a few feet into Canada then turn around and return to Skagway. If you are going beyond the summit a passport, passport card, enhanced drivers license or NEXUS card it required.

When I did this five years ago, a passport was required. Have the rules changes since then? I know for flying into Canada you need a passport, for driving you can use a passport or passport card. You cannot use enhanced drivers license for flying or driving. I do not know the rules surrounding the NEXUS card.

When I did this five years ago, a passport was required. Have the rules changes since then? I know for flying into Canada you need a passport, for driving you can use a passport or passport card. You cannot use enhanced drivers license for flying or driving. I do not know the rules surrounding the NEXUS card.

Canada does not require a US citizen to have a passport to enter the country our CBSA only checks that you have one to ensure that we don't have to keep you. :) For any type of land crossing you may use a passport card or enhanced d.l. but not for air. WPYR does not require a passport to go to the summit, this has been the case for as long as I can remember.

http://wpyr.com/excursions/product/ticket/summit-excursion/

Thanks everyone. I will get a Passport in time for next years trip but didn't want to pay for an expedited one for this summer. Will stick to the train tour that does not require a passport.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. The views were spectacular and the commentary interesting and informative.

Canada does not require a US citizen to have a passport to enter the country our CBSA only checks that you have one to ensure that we don't have to keep you. :) For any type of land crossing you may use a passport card or enhanced d.l. but not for air. WPYR does not require a passport to go to the summit, this has been the case for as long as I can remember.

http://wpyr.com/excursions/product/ticket/summit-excursion/

You're right, I meant passport needed for the Fraser Meadow trip.

Enhanced drivers license or NEXUS card is good for travel into Canada from US by land or sea.

Enhanced drivers license or NEXUS card is good for travel into Canada from US by land or sea.

NEXUS may also used in many airports.

It all depends on which trip you take. The one that goes to the summit, and about 5 miles into Canada, and then turns around does not require a passport, the other tour does.

That was pointed out in a couple of posts above. The distance travelled into Canada is just a few feet .... well a few yards. If it were miles a passport would be required or another WHTI compliant document.

Edited by Putterdude

Thanks everyone. I will get a Passport in time for next years trip but didn't want to pay for an expedited one for this summer. Will stick to the train tour that does not require a passport.

We just got my 6yo daughter a passport for the first time for our June trip and it only took about 3 weeks to get it with normal processing time. So depending on when you are going this summer you should have plenty of time if you want to get one. Even if it takes the 6 weeks they quote you should have it at the beginning of June.