Pre Trip/Planning for our summer 2017 Dream cruise!

WLHyatt

Down 43 lbs...rough week, crazy busy and stressful week, but it is still coming off...Not sure if I'll hit another 17 lbs by end of the year, but that's okay...it's a marathon for sure, not a sprint.

Organizing myself...I've make 3x5 bound books, I've had itineraries on my phone, lists, etc. This time, envelopes. Each day has what we'll be doing and inside is the exact cash we need for specific activities, printed menus for that day, confirmation emails, etc. I wanted to be sure to have exact change and the tip I wanted to have handy in the exact bills. I also didn't want to carry extra cash around. I'll only have that amount of cash in the beginning. When we go into port, I'll just have that cash for the day. So, each day of our vacation has an envelope. On it, I printed the plan with time and confirmation numbers and included all necessary documentation inside. Obviously we'll have a card as well, if needed. But I like to work on a cash basis, especially when in port. I've been filling them weekly, so they are in my safe at work, but when I can, I'll take a picture and post what I'm trying to describe. Hoping this keeps us organized and stress free!

How do you stay organized daily?

Congrats on the weight loss, that is awesome! I need your motivation!

I am planning to do the envelopes on our trip too. I am interested in seeing your system because I don't know how I plan to do it exactly. I got the idea from on here.

• 1 month later...

Holy smokes! It's been forever since I posted!

The holidays also wrecked havoc on my weight loss! Oh well, I'm back and focused!

One good thing, noticed a price drop this morning and filled out the form. Got $230 taken off my balance! So close to having that last bill paid-YEAH!

I know I owe you a post on my daily envelope budgeting and promise to get it done soon!

Hope the holidays were good to you and you all have a wonderful start to your 2017!

Holy smokes! It's been forever since I posted!

The holidays also wrecked havoc on my weight loss! Oh well, I'm back and focused!

One good thing, noticed a price drop this morning and filled out the form. Got $230 taken off my balance! So close to having that last bill paid-YEAH!

I know I owe you a post on my daily envelope budgeting and promise to get it done soon!

Hope the holidays were good to you and you all have a wonderful start to your 2017!

I hear ya on the weight over the holidays, ugh! I leave in less than 2 weeks already, I can't believe how fast that came up! We got our luggage out the other day and I have pretty much everything packed that we don't need before we leave....12 days and counting! I can't believe it will be single digits before this week is up!

Another week, down another 7 lbs. Almost back to where I was before the holidays! The key, I think I've found, is drinking 140z of water every day...but holy cow...it's a LOT of water.

I promised to share my envelope system. Attached is the one I'm using for the day we board the ship. It's relatively simple. I type out the expected itinerary on an envelope. I include any confirmation numbers/emails, money expected to need, and then include any maps, coupons, and all cash needed inside each envelope. I make sure I include the cash in the denominations that I'll need. The plan is to only carry the day's envelope on me each day.

When we went to WDW, I made 3x5 cards and put them in a 3x5 photo book that I carried. I liked it, but it was too much information to have with me all the time and didn't really have a place to add the things I needed for this vacation (maps, coupons, cash, etc). I've used apps on my phone for other vacations. But again, for this type of vacation, it just wasn't what I wanted. What do you do to stay organized?

Embarkation.doc

Oh my goodness...this should be interesting...

Just found out that Beach Camp (church camp our youth group is going to) is arriving in Panama City on the day we are flying home. So now, get to call the airline to unlink DS' ticket home and send him on to Panama City instead of flying home. Not such a big deal, but packing should be an added issue...guess I'll plan on either his carry on having his clothes to go to camp or take another suitcase. And, I'll have to do some laundry before sending him on. The good thing, he'll only need shorts, tees, and swim trunks.

Hmm, maybe I could stick a duffle in one of our suitcases and pack it for him to take on to camp....

• 2 weeks later...

Airlines are nuts! To change his flight from coming home to Arkansas to going to Florida, they wanted $816. The ticket alone cost $211. Instead, I called back, cancelled his flight. Had a $87 credit and applied it to the new ticket for a total of $124. Airlines are nuts...but he has his ticket!

Excited to see the confirmed list of changes the Dream is getting in dry dock. Also happy to hear that she will get the Hub app as well. We're planning on using it to communicate while on the ship. Yeah!

Now, just waiting to hear from some passengers that cruise after she comes out of dry dock! I have such high hopes!

• 2 weeks later...

Which cruise in August are you going on? I noticed your last post about PCB. My uncle lived there and my aunt still does. Haven't been since he passed. We're on the August 13 cruise - this will be our third time on the Dream -second out of NOLA.

• 3 months later...

30 days! Really?!?!! Only 30 more days until we board that beautiful ship! 28 days until we fly out...can't believe it is so close!

My planning was really complete for this trip and an unexpected Disney trip was just planned for November so I've been frantically trying to get that planned as well. But realized that I've gotten a little rusty on my cruise details. Trying to figure out all the logistics now. I'm a little panicked about how I'll know where to go to find out how to get to our excursions? We've got two Carnival hosted excursions (I know, I know, but we're first timers)....surely they can help? The third is Nachi Cocum. I'm sure I can find the info of what I need to do and where I need to be by searching these boards.

30 more days!!

We go to NOLA every year. The first year we drove from Florida, parked the car and didn't get in it again until we left....and paid a hefty fee. Now we fly and take a cab. This year we are attaching a Dream cruise to our trip. Flying in, getting free hotel shuttle to where we'll stay the night before the cruise, and a cab to the port the next morning. Can't wait!

30 days! Really?!?!! Only 30 more days until we board that beautiful ship! 28 days until we fly out...can't believe it is so close!

My planning was really complete for this trip and an unexpected Disney trip was just planned for November so I've been frantically trying to get that planned as well. But realized that I've gotten a little rusty on my cruise details. Trying to figure out all the logistics now. I'm a little panicked about how I'll know where to go to find out how to get to our excursions? We've got two Carnival hosted excursions (I know, I know, but we're first timers)....surely they can help? The third is Nachi Cocum. I'm sure I can find the info of what I need to do and where I need to be by searching these boards.

30 more days!!

They will put your excursion tickets in the mailbox outside your room. There will be instructions on where to meet and what time. As for Nachi, just keep walking through the port/shopping area and you'll where the taxis are. Just tell a driver you are going to Nachi. $20 each way for up to 4 people.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app

They will put your excursion tickets in the mailbox outside your room. There will be instructions on where to meet and what time. As for Nachi, just keep walking through the port/shopping area and you'll where the taxis are. Just tell a driver you are going to Nachi. $20 each way for up to 4 people.

*get to where the taxis are. Sorry. [emoji1]

Thanks so much!

Okay, new question. What do you take with you on excursions?

For the first port we're going to Roatan to do the Carnival hosted "Dolphin Active Swim". There are only 8 people total on this excursion and four of them are our family. I can't find any info on this excursion, but I think I remember that they have lockers. Anyone have any experience? For this one, I'm thinking we'll want a quick change of clothes, one phone, sunscreen, our coordinating envelope for this day and maybe a water bottle or two.

Next, we're headed to Belize. I think this one will be easier. We're doing a ruins tour. We'll just have a lightweight string type backpack with bug spray, sunscreen, couple water bottles, and some quick protein high snacks.

Last we're headed to Nachi Cocum. I think we'll need sunscreen, our daily envelope, a phone, and a quick clothing change. What should we do with our phone, cash, etc? I did get a waterproof fanny pack (kinda) type of thing that goes under clothing. Maybe that's the best bet?

Anything I'm not taking off the ship that I should? Suggestions for any of these excursions? Experiences?

Thanks for all your help! This would be so much more stressful without all your help! I hope to do the same when I get back and report on our trip!

I've just been reading up on your plans. I am going on the Dream in just 22 days, so I think I'll be on the week prior to your arrival.

Just some tips I thought I'd add on. I've been on the Dream twice before, in 2013, and 2016, so I have some experience!

- You will love the spa. The Dream Class spas have the thalassotherapy pools, which are amazing. I used to enjoy a soak in that, and then would proceed through the saunas and steam rooms, heated loungers, etc, and then a shower in the large showers in the spa. I had the spa pass on the Dream last year, and also had a spa cabin on the Breeze. It was also nice to have access to the spa when it was rainy one day. The rest of the ship indoors was crowded, so the spa was a nice getaway from that.

- I think you're making the right choice in getting the Cheers package, especially with it being your first cruise. The best benefit is that there is a large menu of Carnival drinks that you can try without worrying if you'll like it, since it's already pre-paid. Some of my personal favorites are the Twilight Zone and the Kiss on the Lips. Also, with the package now including specialty coffees, milkshakes, and vitamin waters, it is easy to utilize those to help reach your break-even/benefit amount. You can also easily get one of those milkshakes and give it to your kids too ;) Personally, I always made sure to grab a vitamin water, or a can of soda, anytime at the end of the night to make sure I had that in my fridge.

I've sailed to all of the ports you'll be sailing to. It's a great itinerary, and if I recall, you'll have two sea days at the beginning of the trip, so extra time to get accustomed to the ship, and learn everything about the Dream!

You made a great choice with the Drury Inn. I stayed at one for a work conference last year, and the breakfast and 5:30 kickback are great amenities! You can easily have a good dinner at the 5:30 kickback.

If you have any other questions, I'd be happy to answer! Otherwise, I'll be sure to have the Dream ready for you :)

I've just been reading up on your plans. I am going on the Dream in just 22 days, so I think I'll be on the week prior to your arrival.

Just some tips I thought I'd add on. I've been on the Dream twice before, in 2013, and 2016, so I have some experience!

- You will love the spa. The Dream Class spas have the thalassotherapy pools, which are amazing. I used to enjoy a soak in that, and then would proceed through the saunas and steam rooms, heated loungers, etc, and then a shower in the large showers in the spa. I had the spa pass on the Dream last year, and also had a spa cabin on the Breeze. It was also nice to have access to the spa when it was rainy one day. The rest of the ship indoors was crowded, so the spa was a nice getaway from that.

- I think you're making the right choice in getting the Cheers package, especially with it being your first cruise. The best benefit is that there is a large menu of Carnival drinks that you can try without worrying if you'll like it, since it's already pre-paid. Some of my personal favorites are the Twilight Zone and the Kiss on the Lips. Also, with the package now including specialty coffees, milkshakes, and vitamin waters, it is easy to utilize those to help reach your break-even/benefit amount. You can also easily get one of those milkshakes and give it to your kids too ;) Personally, I always made sure to grab a vitamin water, or a can of soda, anytime at the end of the night to make sure I had that in my fridge.

I've sailed to all of the ports you'll be sailing to. It's a great itinerary, and if I recall, you'll have two sea days at the beginning of the trip, so extra time to get accustomed to the ship, and learn everything about the Dream!

You made a great choice with the Drury Inn. I stayed at one for a work conference last year, and the breakfast and 5:30 kickback are great amenities! You can easily have a good dinner at the 5:30 kickback.

If you have any other questions, I'd be happy to answer! Otherwise, I'll be sure to have the Dream ready for you :)

Adam-thanks so much! You've made me feel much more comfortable about my choices! I've spent a ton of time doing the research, but now with it so close, it's hard not to second guess!

I'm so excited and ready to board! Enjoy your upcoming cruise!!

So excited for you...we go in October so looking forward to hearing what happens after you get back. I guess I better get on the ball and figure out hotel, transportation, etc.

Well lets start a group-"Pre-cruise weight loss". Maybe even a thread on here? I am not exactly the best weight I should be and due to minor health issues I would be lot better with pounds off. I had begun dieting and I am now using my cruise in December as added incentive. Knowing I may put on a few pounds during cruise and want to be OK with eating what I want while on the cruise I have rededicated myself and it is working. I am down 32 pounds and there is still more to go. Plus heck will feel good to not feel like I have to wear a shirt the whole time I am at the beaches. I will be 60 next year and I am not turning 60 weighing what I weigh now.

There is a Lose Before You Cruise thread. Come and join us

• 3 weeks later...

Can't believe we fly out a week from Friday! Ten days!! Can't believe we're almost to single digits...seems life FOREVER that we've been planning this!

Confession time...I went off the diet and workout plan November-March...almost five months off...uggh. I'm not where I want to be, but I am down a total of 47 pounds from where I started in October. I am proud of that. I'm smaller than I've been in over ten years. Will continue my workout regimen as I really do enjoy it, but plan to eat what and when I want and get back to it when we get back. I have another big trip coming up in November that will require me to do LOT of walking!

So everything seems to be planned. I've started packing. Surprisingly, I think everything will fit in my carry on. Really trying to pack less, but have enough.

Any last minute things you throw in that end up being super helpful? Any last minute things you always do?

My office is moving across town tomorrow. Completely stressed that I have that tomorrow and then have two different site visits each three hours away on Thursday and again on Friday. Then Memorial Day weekend, kid's last day of school...two days of work where I'll be trying to set up a new office and then we leave!?!?! What have I forgotten to do? Help a girl out! :)

Thanks all and look forward to a full trip report soon!

• 2 weeks later...