men's shoes in Main Dining Room

Out of Iowa

LOL! Kevin, that exact thing happened to me a few years ago, it was so embarrassing! I had to have our cabin steward come in and vacuum up all the black rubber in the carpet of our cabin, so I didn't get too far. Those shoes ended up in the trash that night too. :) To this day, I wonder why that happened, and they were NOT cheap shoes.

Funny that we both had the same crazy shoe experience.. :D

Do they swab the decks with acid?

I've been to weddings where someone thought it was cute to wear sneakers with his suit. He must have though he was so cool, but he should have heard what we was saying about him behind his back.

I doubt the person wearing sneakers would care...

Straight from the Carnival website:

Cruise Elegant Dress Code

• Men: dress slacks, dress shirts, and we also suggest a sport coat; men may also wish to wear a suit and tie or tuxedo
  • Women: Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; ladies may also wish to wear an evening gown
  • Not permitted: Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, shorts, tee-shirts, sportswear, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

It does not state anything about tennis shoes, it does say no flip-flops.... it does say no "sportswear"... not sure if that would include tennis shoes.

I have seen men in shorts turned away on Elegant night, I've also seen men in shorts in the MDR on Elegant night (different ships). I do think ships adhere differently to the rules above, welcome to Carnival!

If cruising on Celebrity don't try shorts in the MDR any night, long pants or "better"....

One cruise I forgot my black dress shoes, wore my tennis shoes (black) with my tux, not a word said.... if I take my tux again, the dress shoes will be "forgotten" again...

The website is out of date. On the ships it doesn't even say no jeans.

I wore boat shoes each night; no socks. Did not have a problem.

I am sure you are fine in white sneakers too, no problem.

There is no fashion police onboard.

The website is out of date. On the ships it doesn't even say no jeans.

I wore boat shoes each night; no socks. Did not have a problem.

I am sure you are fine in white sneakers too, no problem.

There is no fashion police onboard.

no fashion police but I bet there will be a few members of the Volunteer Fashion Department taking notes. :D

My husband wears black crocs with black socks (and black pants). No one seems to notice or care...and if they do care, that's their problem :p

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I can beat that. On our 21 night cruise, my dad's dress shoes were too tight, too heavy and pinched so he ended up wearing his light blue crocs everywhere - including formal night with his dress pants, dress shirt, tie, and tuxedo vest.

Of course this is the same man that I have to stop from wearing brown pants with a short sleeved black dress shirt with silver pinstripes and a blue star trek tie so.....blue crocs don't seem so bad for him.

I can beat that. On our 21 night cruise, my dad's dress shoes were too tight, too heavy and pinched so he ended up wearing his light blue crocs everywhere - including formal night with his dress pants, dress shirt, tie, and tuxedo vest.

Of course this is the same man that I have to stop from wearing brown pants with a short sleeved black dress shirt with silver pinstripes and a blue star trek tie so.....blue crocs don't seem so bad for him.

Whoa hey! There's never a wrong time to wear a blue Star Trek tie. ;)

The soles of my shoes disintegrated as I was walking to the dining room on one cruise. I was literally leaving a trail of rubber as I walked. I ended up taking them off and going to dinner in my socks. Some crew member must have been watching our group talk about my shoes and taking pictures of the trail I was leaving because about 10 minutes into dinner a pair of rental shoes were brought to me with a note that they saw what happened and thought I might appreciate these for the night. They had fished the shoes out of the garbage can I used in the bathroom to get the size.

Dark socks are probably good enough. :D

How kind of these crew members. That is so touching. What a nice thing to do.

Those are some good lookin' shoes! :)

Thank you sir! I agree lol. AE handmakes their shoes in a Wisconsin, USA factory and I like to support the home team whenever I can. They cost more than a lot of other brands but it shows - They can last you a life-time when you factor in their re-crafting policy (You can get them re-soled and repaired and refurbished for a fraction of the cost of new ones. I've heard of people passing them on to their kids in their wills).

Now I'm not saying if I won the lottery I wouldn't fly right to England and get me a pair of bespoke John Lobb shoes but in the meantime, AE suits me just fine. Makes me feel pretty spiffy when I wear them.

I should add that my regular wardrobe is jeans and death metal concert shirts 99% of the time. So I like to dress up now and again.

I doubt the person wearing sneakers would care...

You actually don't know that. Yes, there could be some that don't care, and some that just don't know. Some don't care that others are critiquing and making fun, and others don't know.

You actually don't know that. Yes, there could be some that don't care, and some that just don't know. Some don't care that others are critiquing and making fun, and others don't know.

Glad I don't waste my life worrying about what some fuddy-duddy across the room thinks about how I chose to dress for any occasion. I got over worrying about that when I was ten...their "thoughts" or words say more about their own insecurities than they do about mine. Last time I went to a wedding I stopped in after a 10hour car ride home from vacation because I wanted to see the bride and groom and offer my best wishes. They could of cared less what I looked like and were just thrilled that I had taken the time to stop for a brief chat. It's often about what we do and not how we dress that makes a statement about our sincerity.

It seems that "elegant night" isn't as formal as it used to be...

I'm wondering when men could get away with new & clean, white tennis shoes in the main dining room? He'll wear khakis and a collared polo-style shirt. The shoes will be clean - and beneath the table most all the time. Otherwise, we go hunting for some Sperry-type loafers.

What has been your man's recent experience with this, please?

Ever since the airlines started charging for checked luggage, we've made it a point to cut way back on what we pack, and that includes foot wear. On our last cruise, I took dark grey tennis shoes (no dress shoes), and wore them every night to the MDR. I doubt that anyone really noticed. For our upcoming cruise, I've purchased black tennis shoes. Again, I doubt that anyone will notice, or even care.

Ever since the airlines started charging for checked luggage, I suspect that many people have made it a point to cut back on what they pack for a cruise. It also helps that Carnival's dress code for elegant night is more relaxed than it used to be. I don't think white tennis shoes will be a problem. Now, what would look a little odd would be to see a man wearing a suit and tie and wearing bright neon colored tennis shoes. Talk about a conversation starter! :eek::D

I wear black tennis shoes on elegant nights ,with jeans and polo shirt , many more dressed the same

And many more dressed in tux's and suits. Again, it's a mater of preference, and in the end, nobody really cares.

Ever since the airlines started charging for checked luggage, we've made it a point to cut way back on what we pack, and that includes foot wear. On our last cruise, I took dark grey tennis shoes (no dress shoes), and wore them every night to the MDR. I doubt that anyone really noticed. For our upcoming cruise, I've purchased black tennis shoes. Again, I doubt that anyone will notice, or even care.

Ever since the airlines started charging for checked luggage, I suspect that many people have made it a point to cut back on what they pack for a cruise. It also helps that Carnival's dress code for elegant night is more relaxed than it used to be. I don't think white tennis shoes will be a problem. Now, what would look a little odd would be to see a man wearing a suit and tie and wearing bright neon colored tennis shoes. Talk about a conversation starter! :eek::D

I can't help but think that blaming the airlines is a total cop-out, but then again, I totally support your decision to wear whatever you want on elegant night... let's party!

My husband wears black crocs with black socks (and black pants). No one seems to notice or care...and if they do care, that's their problem :p

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

You're joking about this, right?:eek:

Do they swab the decks with acid?

I think some hair care products had leaked in the suitcase the cruise before. I dress up so often that the next time I wore the shoes was a year later on the next cruise.