No more tendering for HAL in Sitka, AK

Copper10-8

Negative; There will be no more tendering in Sitka by HAL effective this year. The reason some HAL ships, i.e. WEDM, SADM and AMDM, used the Old Sitka Dock during the 2015 Alaska season was due to weather. It was unsafe to tender.

The Old Sitka Dock is a private venture and there is only space for one cruise large ship

Have you docked in Sitka? Can the shuttle buses handle a scooter?

Have you docked in Sitka? Can the shuttle buses handle a scooter?

Yes; I was on AMDM last year when we docked in Sitka one time due to weather. Can't help you with the shuttle bus/scooter question because I didn't check them out and didn't go into town. Hopefully, someone else here who has used them, can. If not, I suggest you contact HAL Ships Services

Yes; I was on AMDM last year when we docked in Sitka one time due to weather. Can't help you with the shuttle bus/scooter question because I didn't check them out and didn't go into town. Hopefully, someone else here who has used them, can. If not, I suggest you contact HAL Ships Services

Thanks for your insight

Anytime; hope you will be able to enjoy Alaska on MADM. She'll be in Juneau tomorrow visible on the new webcam there

We enjoy Alaska. It will be our 9th time. We are bringing our family with us to show them this beautiful state. There will be 19 of us. Looking forward to 2017. My DW retires so we can go on the longer Holland cruises.

We enjoy Alaska. It will be our 9th time. We are bringing our family with us to show them this beautiful state. There will be 19 of us. Looking forward to 2017. My DW retires so we can go on the longer Holland cruises.

Good for you! Enjoy!

The Dock is about a 12-minute bus ride into town. The shuttle service is free. Sitka is building a new cultural center and the busses are let off there. This center is right in town. Not far from St. Michael's.

There is a $10 hop-on/hop-off shuttle that takes you around Sikta including Totem Park, Alaska Raptor Center, Sheldon Jackson Museum, St. Michael's Orthodox Church, Russian Bishop's House, Tlingit Clan House, and Science Center Aquarium/Hatchery.

What was interesting is that the HAL excursions, when finished, did not return you to the ship, but dropped you off in town, where you either explored or waiting to return to the ship.

We saw a long line of folks waiting to return to the ship, but that could probably be it was early in the season and they had not perfected the timing yet.

Many HAL excursion folks were not told they would be dropped off and would then need to take the shuttle. So there seemed to be a lot of confusion.

The dock has a small terminal building that is up a slight hill from the ship.

The Dock is about a 12-minute bus ride into town. The shuttle service is free. Sitka is building a new cultural center and the busses are let off there. This center is right in town. Not far from St. Michael's.

There is a $10 hop-on/hop-off shuttle that takes you around Sikta including Totem Park, Alaska Raptor Center, Sheldon Jackson Museum, St. Michael's Orthodox Church, Russian Bishop's House, Tlingit Clan House, and Science Center Aquarium/Hatchery.

What was interesting is that the HAL excursions, when finished, did not return you to the ship, but dropped you off in town, where you either explored or waiting to return to the ship.

We saw a long line of folks waiting to return to the ship, but that could probably be it was early in the season and they had not perfected the timing yet.

Many HAL excursion folks were not told they would be dropped off and would then need to take the shuttle. So there seemed to be a lot of confusion.

The dock has a small terminal building that is up a slight hill from the ship.

Thank you. Two questions, is the Hop on Hop off bus at the terminal? Are the shuttle buses capable of handling a scooter?

Thank you. Two questions, is the Hop on Hop off bus at the terminal? Are the shuttle buses capable of handling a scooter?

You are welcome :)

I saw different types of buses in town, school buses, normal excursion-type buses, smaller vans like they use at car rental places, and school buses painted white with Sitka Tours.

We were are on the white bus and had a great driver who had lots of colorful stories about Sitka. I did not see anyone with a scooter or chair get on the bus, so I cannot say what type of equipment they have.

Here is the number to call (907) 747-7137 or you can email Sitka Convention and Tourism who advertise the shuttle: scvb@sitka.org

The Cruise Dock has a free shuttle to town where you can pick up the buses.

Negative; There will be no more tendering in Sitka by HAL effective this year.

Well, that's interesting, because my friend sent me this photo of the Westerdam tendering in Sitka on May 25th, just 2 days ago. Sure looks like HAL ships are still tendering at times.

Sitka.jpg.b559a48c78f844cabc038e33700f905b.jpg

Well, that's interesting, because my friend sent me this photo of the Westerdam tendering in Sitka on May 25th, just 2 days ago. Sure looks like HAL ships are still tendering at times.

Norwegian Sun was at the Old Sitka Dock; Can't put two large cruise ships at that dock

Yes, Scooters can be driven off the ship and to the location where the free shuttle loads. The shuttle service has certain busses with ADA lifts for wheelchairs and scooter.

Excellent! Thank you so much for that information. It's nice to think I might be able to visit Sitka again.

Ruth, Thanks for your reply. My wife and I don't use devices, but we aren't young any more either :D Just trying to decide whether to take a ride into town or book an excursion.

You might be able to do both :) Last September the Statendam surprised us by docking north of town. We boarded the popular tour boat for the HAL "Sea Otter and Wildlife Quest" at the same dock. Wonderful adventure. We were dropped off at the tender dock in Sitka by the bridge and near downtown about noon. My husband needed to eat, so he found a cafe and then took the shuttle back to the ship.

I hoofed it from the tender dock to the Russian Bishop's House for a good long visit. Then I walked by the Russian Cathedral, through downtown, and up to Princess Muskatov's grave before walking back down to catch the shuttle back to the ship.

You might want to consider the hop-on hop-off bus from the tender dock. We did that last time, so I knew exactly what I wanted to explore on my own this time. I love Sitka, and suspect that you will too, whatever you decide to do.

Barbara

I'm on Westerdam Saturday out of Seattle. Have called HAL twice in the last six days asking about this because my independent tour operator told me the ship would dock when HAL had it tendering. Both CSRs (one this past Tuesday and one Friday) told me we'd tender.

How can they not know this?!?!?

You might be able to do both :) Last September the Statendam surprised us by docking north of town. We boarded the popular tour boat for the HAL "Sea Otter and Wildlife Quest" at the same dock. Wonderful adventure. We were dropped off at the tender dock in Sitka by the bridge and near downtown about noon. My husband needed to eat, so he found a cafe and then took the shuttle back to the ship.

I hoofed it from the tender dock to the Russian Bishop's House for a good long visit. Then I walked by the Russian Cathedral, through downtown, and up to Princess Muskatov's grave before walking back down to catch the shuttle back to the ship.

You might want to consider the hop-on hop-off bus from the tender dock. We did that last time, so I knew exactly what I wanted to explore on my own this time. I love Sitka, and suspect that you will too, whatever you decide to do.

Barbara

Thanks so much for taking the time to provide this information. I will take another look at excursions and see if we can do both as you suggested. We are very excited about seeing Sitka for the first time.

I just got off of the Westerdam Saturday. We docked in Sitka, immediately got on a shuttle and were taken to downtown. I think Sitka was my favorite port. As with anything, your opinions may be different. It was not commercialized like the other ports were. We did the sea otter excursion and saw a good amount of wildlife. At the end of the excursion, the boat took us back to the Westerdam, a bonus we had not planned on.

I just got off of the Westerdam Saturday. We docked in Sitka, immediately got on a shuttle and were taken to downtown. I think Sitka was my favorite port. As with anything, your opinions may be different. It was not commercialized like the other ports were. We did the sea otter excursion and saw a good amount of wildlife. At the end of the excursion, the boat took us back to the Westerdam, a bonus we had not planned on.

I love Sitka and booked the sailing I'm on (Westerdam Jun 11-18) because of it. Was there in 2008 and agree with you: it's not commercialized.

Was your sea otter excursion booked thru Holland or an independent? I ask because I think I'll be cutting it close (for me) in getting back to the ship on time (especially with the bus ride).

We were dropped off at the tender dock in Sitka by the bridge and near downtown about noon. My husband needed to eat, so he found a cafe and then took the shuttle back to the ship.

Barbara

Any hesitancy about walking around on your own?

I won't have time after my tour, but could do it prior...just being careful :-]

Thanks!

Any hesitancy about walking around on your own?

I won't have time after my tour, but could do it prior...just being careful :-]

Thanks!

No hesitancy at all. I was perfectly safe.

At first it was warm, and I felt overdressed. Later when it poured rain, I was glad to have my warm coat and umbrella.

Barbara

My wife walked Sitka by herself last year. No worries.

No hesitancy at all. I was perfectly safe.

At first it was warm, and I felt overdressed. Later when it poured rain, I was glad to have my warm coat and umbrella.

Barbara

Thanks, both of you! Was last there in 2008 & did feel safe, but we were in a group so I didn't pay that much attention. Glad to hear it hasn't changed much in that regard.