Live from the summit

Grandma Rambo

Indeed, NCL ship captains are known to be daring ... we know, at least 2 pretty bad stormy sailings under our belts, once on the 40,000 ton Crown on the way out to Bermuda, a roller-coaster ride for 18+ hours. Not surprised on calling off those SG ferries over the choppy seas - fast Cat's would just mean more bouncing up & down.

Stormy seas comes with the territory on Bermuda sailings. I had several very rough sailings on Zenith.

And, historically, Bermuda gets the least amount of rainfall in the month of May - #cough #cough

Ha Ha. I won't cruise to Bermuda in May anymore. But only because of the water temp. I will be there before Captain Kate leaves for vacation though.

Edited by Charles4515

It's even raining in So. Cal. too and we rarely get it, so we can all whine together. ;) At least they're on a cruise ship! Interesting about May being the month with the least amount of rainfall. Been watching my iPhone weather app and although the weather has warmed up, it looks like they're getting an awful lot of rain. Sure hope it stops soon!!

Cruzbachoua - Glad to hear your friends are okay. ;)

It is pouring rain here in Maryland too. Rain the last few days.

May is not the month with the least rain in Bermuda. But it is lower than most months. Most of the time they just have a quick shower. If your 10 day weather forcecast shows rain, don't panic unless a hurricane is coming.

Edited by Charles4515

Looking forward to seeing the Summit Pool!

I used the regular pool in all the really hot places. I always use the solarium with whirlpools when I do Bermuda.

Walk the ship like I do at 3:30 am and no one is in your shot (Infinity below).

22884636117_3f53ee5e14_c.jpg

CaptDave

You will have to wait on line to get on the ferry. First ferry to St. George's is 9:30 am then the second is 11:30 am. Takes about 45 minutes.

Last year we sailed to Bermuda May 24 - 31. 2 of the 3 days the ferry to St. George's was canceled. We had terrible weather. Almost Gale Force winds, rain, on and off for 3 days. Even the locals couldn't believe the weather. One day we walked off the ship looked at each other and walked right back on, it was that bad. Couldn't even stand up.

We were on the next week and every day was beautiful. We are on again May 22 so hoping for beautiful weather again.

Last year we sailed to Bermuda May 24 - 31. 2 of the 3 days the ferry to St. George's was canceled.

Good info on that. Never thought about the ferry being cancelled.

Will be ready with plan B, C and D.;)

Yep. I am anal about planning.;)

Incredibly so.

How were the shows? Is there a show every night and what times were they?

Yes, every night at 7 and at 9. Three production shows and iMagic were both weeks. We didn't see the last production show last week, but hopefully will see it tonight. The first show is called Hollywood something and we thought it was very good. The second one, Sirens, we didn't enjoy. The performers are excellent, as are the costumes in all the shows. It was over the top and we just didn't "get" it. We didn't go back the second time. Both weeks they had a comedian that called himself a Canadian-born, recently got his USA citizenship Jew. He was very funny. Both weeks they also had a group called December '63. Sort of a Jersey Boys act. They were quite good. Last night they had another comedian, but we missed seeing him. The iMagic show was excellent. Very different and we enjoyed it both weeks.

Hope this helps.

Last year we sailed to Bermuda May 24 - 31. 2 of the 3 days the ferry to St. George's was canceled. We had terrible weather. Almost Gale Force winds, rain, on and off for 3 days. Even the locals couldn't believe the weather. One day we walked off the ship looked at each other and walked right back on, it was that bad. Couldn't even stand up.

We were on that sailing, too, and didn't even leave the ship on Day 2. The previous year we'd been on the Memorial Day sailing on Grandeur and the weather was perfect. We'll be on the Summit 5/29 hoping it's our turn again for the beautiful weather!

The one plus for us was that our daughter and her guest had booked a kayaking excursion using non-refundable OBC. All the sailing excursions wound up being cancelled because of rough seas and they were credited with refundable credit. My daughter wound up with a couple hundred bucks credited to her Visa card!

I'm on the Celebrity Summit and we disembark tomorrow in Bayonne. Any tips on tipping (room stewards and Dining Room waiters)?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

HHHarrier

Watch the movie Caddy Shack, specifically, Rodney Dangerfield.

That is how it is done.

I'm on the Celebrity Summit and we disembark tomorrow in Bayonne. Any tips on tipping (room stewards and Dining Room waiters)?

HHHarrier

It is a little late to ask that question here. Didn't you have auto gratuities deducted every day? Check at Guest Relations. Maybe you have paid gratuities. Didn't you make any friends onboard who can help?

Edited by Charles4515

HHHarrier

Hash House Harrier? :)

I assume you have pre-paid gratuities. If you've had excellent service, above and beyond, we always give extra, especially to the asst stateroom attendant who cleans the bathroom. It's really a personal decision.

Do cabins have more than one steward on X? On Princess we have just the one is X different? We tip extra so would like to know so we can be prepared with enough money.

Yes, Celebrity has a Stateroom Attendant and an Asst Stateroom Attendant. They work together, but the Asst usually is the one who cleans the bathroom while the Stateroom Attendant makes the bed and cleans up.

Good to know...we assumed it was like princess and only 1. I mean at least on princess we are only ever introduced and see 1 person. Now do all cabins have the 2..we are in an oceanview room.

Edited by cruzrbachoua

Good to know...we assumed it was like princess and only 1. I mean at least on princess we are only ever introduced and see 1 person. No do all cabins have the 2..we are in an oceanview room.

You probably had two on Princess. You didn't see the helper. You probably won't get introduced to the helper on Celebrity either.

Edited by Charles4515

Dumb question...then how do you tip them? I mean if you are not introduced how do you know they exist to tip them...does the tip i leave for our room steward (i leave on the auto tip and give extra) stay with them or do they share since i didn't tip the assistant since i didn't know he/she existed....:eek::confused:

Dumb question...then how do you tip them? I mean if you are not introduced how do you know they exist to tip them...does the tip i leave for our room steward (i leave on the auto tip and give extra) stay with them or do they share since i didn't tip the assistant since i didn't know he/she existed....:eek::confused:

I don't tip them. The auto gratuity is the tips. If the cabin steward did something special I would give extra to the steward. But I don't tip extra when they are only doing their jobs. I have already tipped them.

If you don't know someone exists why would you want to tip them extra?

Edited by Charles4515

True, I was only asking about the assistant as another poster mentioned them...and i thought hmm that is new..so thought I would ask and be prepared in case we do meet both.

Another question...I was just reading a review of summit only to find out it was for 2012...but do they still do the breakfast brunch in the cosmopolitan restaurant? DH eyes lit up and drooled all over my laptop. the reviewer said they only did it one day and it was a sea day...but that she also only had 1 sea day...does this brunch still happen and if so how often?

We were on the Summit last week and had the same cabin steward when we were on board last May . He did introduce us to his assistant. Both very hard working guys. If we asked for something , they would take care of it. We also use the auto gratuity but I usually slip them something extra separately before we disembark. A personal desicion, it's up to you.

True, I was only asking about the assistant as another poster mentioned them...and i thought hmm that is new..so thought I would ask and be prepared in case we do meet both.

Another question...I was just reading a review of summit only to find out it was for 2012...but do they still do the breakfast brunch in the cosmopolitan restaurant? DH eyes lit up and drooled all over my laptop. the reviewer said they only did it one day and it was a sea day...but that she also only had 1 sea day...does this brunch still happen and if so how often?

Unfortunately they don't have the breakfast brunch anymore.

Edited by Charles4515

Oh DH will be soo upset. ..although I am sure he wont go hungry. He is a chef and besides all the yummy food he saw he likes all the carvings and details they put into the setup and layout. He says it shows off the chefs passions. On HAL we did their dessert extravaganza. ..he was in heaven with all the neat ways and things they made the chocolate, fruit and breads into...plus of course then he got to eat them. He even asked and was a able to take pics with some if the ones who made the creations.

Oh DH will be soo upset. ..although I am sure he wont go hungry. He is a chef and besides all the yummy food he saw he likes all the carvings and details they put into the setup and layout. He says it shows off the chefs passions. On HAL we did their dessert extravaganza. ..he was in heaven with all the neat ways and things they made the chocolate, fruit and breads into...plus of course then he got to eat them. He even asked and was a able to take pics with some if the ones who made the creations.

Make sure to book the Qsine speciality restaurant. Your DH sounds like someone who would enjoy it.