Live from the summit

Grandma Rambo

Hi - I just read that you will be departing early due to an incoming storm - sorry your Bermuda time will be cut short, but at least you gained an extra evening with your early arrival.

We are on the Summit in two weeks. We're currently planning 2017 cruises and wondered if there were any "onboard booking" specials that would make it worthwhile to wait until we are on the ship to book.

Thanks so much and enjoy the extra sea time on the way back.

So just to clarify then it's still $5 one way into Hamilton on the bus or ferry from the Dockyard and you can pay with a $5 US currency?

Also where in Hamilton do you buy the tokens/tickets?

Thanks for all your help.

Yes, $5 one way. You buy the tickets right there as you get off the ferry. In fact, we took the same ferry back. That's how fast it was.

I am on this cruise as well and the pizza is beyond terrible. However, still managing to have a great time.

As far as the medical emergency I have no first hand knowledge. I heard it was a man, and while needing medical care it wasn't so serious that they had to fly in a chopper for him, he was taken off by the pilot boat Tuesday night. I also heard that it was someone that had a medical emergency of a family member at home, and had to get back.

We went to a Taste of Film last night and really enjoyed it. It was very windy & a little chilly up on the Rooftop Terrace but they had blankets so it was bearable. The menu was more of a tasting menu. Eat dinner before, it wasn't enough to be considered a meal. Cost was $10 pp.

Oh, thank you for asking. We brought rolls of quarters. When we handed them to the guy he looked at us like we had two heads and asked "what's this?". We explained and he and the other guy laughed their heads off and said they take paper money and asked where we heard it. I think they are probably still laughing!

Sorry, I don't know which patient had the emergency, only that it was a broken bone. We did see a man yesterday in a wheelchair with a drain in his leg and wondered if he was the patient. Sounded like the bread was severe. Wish I knew more for you. Sorry.

OMG, I'm SO glad you told me that! I would've felt like a moron handing them a roll of quarters. Thank you!!!! :)

From watching the Bermuda webcam, I sure hope the Summit docks with the aft section facing the rest of the island and NOT facing the NCL Breakaway. That ship is really noisy at night and with our aft-facing cabin, I don't want to have to hear it! Is there one way the ship tends to dock more than the other?

http://www.portbermudawebcam.com/

You have only to look at it! Even the servers looked embarrassed when we were on the Canada cruise last Oct. it will be good to be back on the Summitt, tho.We toyed with getting one of the "new" cabins on three where the conference rooms used to be, but opted for a veranda instead.

Regarding Bistro on Five, had the best burger of my life there as I recall.....

From watching the Bermuda webcam, I sure hope the Summit docks with the aft section facing the rest of the island and NOT facing the NCL Breakaway. That ship is really noisy at night and with our aft-facing cabin, I don't want to have to hear it! Is there one way the ship tends to dock more than the other?

http://www.portbermudawebcam.com/

Oy, now you gave me something that will make me crazy thinking about it!

We are in the PH in Aug and would hate to have that big gorgeous balcony facing the forward or aft of the Breakaway while in port!

I would feel like I was being watched all the time! :eek:

Keeping my fingers crossed that we are docked portside, like my previous Summit cruises!

We are in the PH in Aug and would hate to have that big gorgeous balcony facing the forward or aft of the Breakaway while in port!

Keeping my fingers crossed that we are docked portside, like my previous Summit cruises!

I can't see worring about it. When in port you should be off the ship most of the time. A balcony is somewhat of a waste on a Bermuda cruise. If it is any consolation the last two years both sailings I was on the Summit was docked portside. But the Breakaway was docked portside one year and starboard side the other. There is no guarantee. They have to do maintenance, drop lifeboats so they can change up.

If your aft is facing the Breakaway you biggest noise issue might not be the Breakaway. Last year they had a pirate party ship docked at that end.

Edited by Charles4515

Watching sailaway those ships seem really close. Is it as close as it looks on webcam? Is it tough to maneuver already in the crazy winds?

They are not that close. Notice Breakaway is docked a different side each of the years.

From 2014

f3abc207eb09ff6a6e3e51efcc6f9a9b.jpg

From 2015. Not the best shot. Had a hard time being steady on the ferry that day.

e6db28b3980c48cab0c5d954e5981cad.jpg

Edited by Charles4515

They are not that close. Notice Breakaway is docked a different side each of the years.

From 2014

f3abc207eb09ff6a6e3e51efcc6f9a9b.jpg

From 2015. Not the best shot. Had a hard time being steady on the ferry that day.

e6db28b3980c48cab0c5d954e5981cad.jpg

I'm talking about when Summit was leaving. Instead of backing up, it went forward and seemed super close to BA. From the webcam it looked like they were almost touching as Summit pulled away from dock. I didn't know if it was struggling in the winds.

We were on NCL Majesty in about 2007 and docked in St. Georges and high winds came up. We were not able to leave the day we were scheduled because the ship had crashed into the yachts anchored there previously and the captain while on another ship had run into the reef. I know it's alot bigger at Dockyard, but Bermuda's equivalent of our Coast Guard is proactive.

I saw video of a ship colliding into another at the Dockyard a few years ago and was afraid it was happening again. Maybe just the perspective from the webcam but they seemed close.

I have a silly question...never been to a port where we overnight...is this ship open 24 hours, or is there a curfew of what time you have to be back on the ship?

You are free to come and go 24/7 once we dock in Bermuda.

Just be back on time for sail-away Friday afternoon!

I'm talking about when Summit was leaving. Instead of backing up, it went forward and seemed super close to BA. From the webcam it looked like they were almost touching as Summit pulled away from dock. I didn't know if it was struggling in the winds.

We were on NCL Majesty in about 2007 and docked in St. Georges and high winds came up. We were not able to leave the day we were scheduled because the ship had crashed into the yachts anchored there previously and the captain while on another ship had run into the reef. I know it's alot bigger at Dockyard, but Bermuda's equivalent of our Coast Guard is proactive.

I saw video of a ship colliding into another at the Dockyard a few years ago and was afraid it was happening again. Maybe just the perspective from the webcam but they seemed close.

I am on Summit. It did seem strange that there was forward motion but all is well and for all I know that was the plan.

If you've watched the webcam when both ships are in port - WOW - the Breakaway is noisy about 11:30 at night. I don't relish being in an aft cabin getting to listen to that loud music and yelling passengers whooping it up. :mad: I'm sure there's a rhyme to the reason why it's parked one way vs. the other but I wonder if I can request Capt. Kate to park with the aft cabins facing the rest of the island instead? She'd probably look at me like I was nuts.

If you've watched the webcam when both ships are in port - WOW - the Breakaway is noisy about 11:30 at night. I don't relish being in an aft cabin getting to listen to that loud music and yelling passengers whooping it up. :mad: I'm sure there's a rhyme to the reason why it's parked one way vs. the other but I wonder if I can request Capt. Kate to park with the aft cabins facing the rest of the island instead? She'd probably look at me like I was nuts.

I think it would give her a chuckle. Besides maintenance on one side or another it also depends on the winds and tides.

If Captains Jacks floating bar is docked there this year, that place is very noisy. Last year Breakaway passengers were complaining about the noise from that bar.

I am on this cruise as well and the pizza is beyond terrible. However, still managing to have a great time.

Thank you for confirming my opinion of the Summit pizza last fall. I see it hasn't changed.

First they don't have time or desire to let the dough rise so it's flat and limp. The ingredients are very skimpy. If you like limp, under cooked pizza, then Summit has good pizza. :) BTW it's so limp you can't fold it without the end flopping down. Now THAT's Limp. ;)

Also know that they can't keep up with demand so you'll find more empty trays then full and you'll have to wait. They only put out at most four staggered pizzas. The oven must not get to temperature. Just my personal opinion.

As bad as it is, when nothing else is being served, it disappears as soon as one pizza is put out.

Summit%20pizza%20fall%202015.jpg

This picture was taken between lunch and dinner when not much else was being served.

But I don't sail for the pizza so I'm really looking forward to our August Bermuda cruise.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

Agree about the pizza. Certainly not a deal breaker.

Oh, forgot to mention something.

The internet is fast! Previously it would take about 14 minutes just to logon, but now it takes about 30 seconds. I check email and answer it, check FB, bank, and charge account. Seven minutes. Really nice. We get free minutes as a perk, but the unlimited is $20/day where you never have to log out.

The gelato is good, but the homemade ice cream is better.

The shows have been very good. Didn't care for Sirens, but that isn't the fault of the singers and dancers. They are all excellent.

Does anyone know how much longer Capt. Kate will be onboard before going on vacation?

Thinking about sailing next month and would really like to meet her.

Thanks in advance :)

Captain Kate said she will be on the Summit until June 26th....:)