Embarkation from Hell in Vancouver BC

Agreed; although it's interesting to ponder, it will probably never happen even though it may be being discussed.

The embarkation time is not a rule; you can show up to the pier anytime after, say 10:30 am and expect to begin the check-in process. Personally, it's difficult to leave once you are checked in, as the U.S. pre-clearance can be the lengthy part of the process. I think you could have the luggage taken to the pier (downstairs, in your case), and then leave without checking in. If you go on about your morning in Vancouver, you might even see reduced lines later in the day.

Just be careful, though - you don't want to cut it too close. There was a heartbreaking story on another board about a family who did that in Miami, were busy sight-seeing and ran into traffic, and then mixed up locations of their car rental return, and missed the check-in time by 10 minutes. The ship sailed without them, and because they did not have passports they could not fly to the next port (sorry, long story, but I'm making a point).

Vancouver is a whole different beast than Miami. You don't need a car rental to do stuff.

I would say go enjoy the city and be back no later than 2pm to proceed through security and CBP preclearance. There are a ton of things you can see and do in downtown Vancouver. Don't limit yourself to just going straight to the boat. Especially if its "only" a two-ship day.

Vancouver is a whole different beast than Miami. You don't need a car rental to do stuff.

I'm aware of that, I live here. :) Many people rent cars in Vancouver and go to Grouse or one of the other mountains, Capilano Suspension Bridge, I mean the possibilities are endless. Of course there are things to do right downtown - I was merely providing a gentle warning not to be late.

Thanks very much for the input. I discussed it with my husband last night and he made the point that if we push our luck by waiting too long, we won't necessarily enjoy our sightseeing in Vancouver very much because we'll be constantly checking our watch to make sure we get back in time. That will inevitably lead us to get back a little earlier than we intended, which puts us at the height of the wait time. I think we've decided to get up early and walk along the waterfront, getting coffee and looking at the Olympic Cauldron and whatnot. Then onto the ship early to begin taking advantage of our drink package. It helps that we get into Vancouver the night before and have a full day in Vancouver when we return. Never enough time, but it seems like in this case it might be better to be safe than sorry. Thanks again!

We disembarked on Friday, May 6 at 9:30 a.m. Three ships in port. Found ourselves in a line in the basement of the cruise terminal to board one (1) elevator up! Maybe a thousand people in line with lots of luggage to escape. Nobody told us a further walk on you could walk up a ramp to get out of the terminal. Finally get on elevator. Takes us up outside, to another giant line, with same people and probably more, to get a taxi. Maybe at least a thousand people? After a while, we asked about and got the subway/Skyway across the street. Of course, down a steep set of steps with all our luggage. No ramp, no escalator, no elevator. No signs to subway either once inside. Finally found it. Down more steps and a ramp, mixed together! Found out next day there was another corner that had escalator and elevator. Of course no sign at terminal pointing to it. Vancouver is messed up. Even airport would have moving walkways that only went one way, not back. The HOHO bus diver we took next day said when three ships are in port, it is called a "black day" and their buses have to pick up a block away, they are not allowed to the terminal. There were other similar things in weird Vancouver, but I won't go on. My husband was looking at future cruises and one appealed to him, but it is round trip Vancouver. I think hearing that means I couldn't agree to take it. Won't be so jerked around by Vancouver again.

I think we've decided to get up early and walk along the waterfront, getting coffee and looking at the Olympic Cauldron and whatnot...

Sounds amazing, that is exactly what I would do. :) You can walk as far as you want along the waterfront, even as far as Stanley Park, and then turn around and walk back when you feel it's close to the time you want to get to the pier.

Have fun.

Then onto the ship early to begin taking advantage of our drink package. I

Don't forget the title of this thread is "Embarkation Nightmare" and it spells out how it took them several hours to board so getting to the ship early might not be the best idea either.

I understand completely, but it sounds like if I go early I have a better shot of getting on without as much of a nightmare. But if there's a chance it's going to be three hours no matter what time I go, I'd rather end up with a drink in my hand sooner than later afterward! :p

I understand completely, but it sounds like if I go early I have a better shot of getting on without as much of a nightmare. But if there's a chance it's going to be three hours no matter what time I go, I'd rather end up with a drink in my hand sooner than later afterward! :p

I agree, just go early. We did last year and at 2 pm we could see the lines from the ship. Anytime is busy, in my experience.

My wife and I had a great repositioning cruise on the NCL Pearl from Los Angeles to Vancouver BC ending May 5. We spent the night in Vancouver, and then planned on taking the one day repositioning cruise on the NCL Jewel to return us from Vancouver to Seattle.

We dropped off our bags at 1pm and then started the embarkation from hell - first we were warehoused in a huge holding room with cruisers on 3 different ships - one from Princess, one from Celebrity, and the Jewel. Large groups of people were assigned numbers based on arrival time from 1 to at least 88. With our 1pm arrival we were in group 65 and it took 2.5 hours to get from number 42 to 65.

When 65 was called, we cheered and were allowed to begin the next phase - we waited for about 30 minutes in a line before the metal detectors - passengers were delayed because there wasn't room for people after the security station.

Once through the metal detectors we went to another large room with rows of chairs. Rows of people were seated front to rear and then allowed to exit in order after about 1 hour of waiting.

Next, we waited in a 25 minute line to stop at one of 14 US Homeland Security officers desk and showed our passports in a 30 second stop.

Finally, we left the immigration stop and had no delay with the NCL check in personnel. We boarded the ship at 5:35 (it was supposed to leave at 5 pm, but ended up leaving just before 8pm).

We were told the reason for the huge delays was the overwhelming number of cruisers ?7000 - but clearly the NCL Jewel was sailing at much less than 50% capacity.

I suppose we could have gotten a better number by stopping by earlier and then having lunch - they did not penalize you for missing the number just called. When 65 was called, everyone with numbers 1-65 were invited to join the arduous process. Waiting for the number to be called was perhaps the most frustrating part but clearly not the only major point of delay.

Other suggestions, if you are able:

1. Don't sail from a foreign country (even Canada) into the US

2. Avoid Vancouver Port: Latitudes status and even suite won't help (it isn't a NCL issue, it is a Homeland security issue)

3. Don't sail out of Vancouver when all 3 cruise docks are occupied

4. Show up right when the check-in counters open even if you have to sit on the ship at the buffet - it beats standing in line / sitting in holding rooms with just water for 4 hours.

We were there also, and yes...it was a cluster.....I've never seen anything so disorganized...

My wife and I had a great repositioning cruise on the NCL Pearl from Los Angeles to Vancouver BC ending May 5. We spent the night in Vancouver, and then planned on taking the one day repositioning cruise on the NCL Jewel to return us from Vancouver to Seattle.

We dropped off our bags at 1pm and then started the embarkation from hell - first we were warehoused in a huge holding room with cruisers on 3 different ships - one from Princess, one from Celebrity, and the Jewel. Large groups of people were assigned numbers based on arrival time from 1 to at least 88. With our 1pm arrival we were in group 65 and it took 2.5 hours to get from number 42 to 65.

When 65 was called, we cheered and were allowed to begin the next phase - we waited for about 30 minutes in a line before the metal detectors - passengers were delayed because there wasn't room for people after the security station.

Once through the metal detectors we went to another large room with rows of chairs. Rows of people were seated front to rear and then allowed to exit in order after about 1 hour of waiting.

Next, we waited in a 25 minute line to stop at one of 14 US Homeland Security officers desk and showed our passports in a 30 second stop.

Finally, we left the immigration stop and had no delay with the NCL check in personnel. We boarded the ship at 5:35 (it was supposed to leave at 5 pm, but ended up leaving just before 8pm).

We were told the reason for the huge delays was the overwhelming number of cruisers ?7000 - but clearly the NCL Jewel was sailing at much less than 50% capacity.

I suppose we could have gotten a better number by stopping by earlier and then having lunch - they did not penalize you for missing the number just called. When 65 was called, everyone with numbers 1-65 were invited to join the arduous process. Waiting for the number to be called was perhaps the most frustrating part but clearly not the only major point of delay.

Other suggestions, if you are able:

1. Don't sail from a foreign country (even Canada) into the US

2. Avoid Vancouver Port: Latitudes status and even suite won't help (it isn't a NCL issue, it is a Homeland security issue)

3. Don't sail out of Vancouver when all 3 cruise docks are occupied

4. Show up right when the check-in counters open even if you have to sit on the ship at the buffet - it beats standing in line / sitting in holding rooms with just water for 4 hours.

It is now 2016 and the experience is just as bad as when this post was made. We took almost 4 hours from the Check in lines for our Sea Pass cards until we actually walked onto the ship The orange card system is still in place Canadian Customs then port security then finally US Customs where on 7 agents had to process 8000 passengers for the 3 large ships and one small one that were in port on that day. This process took more time than our previous 6 cruises combined. I just have to wonder how it works going from North to south. If it is this bad the Canadian port of Vancouver is going to lose a lot of business. Interestingly enough it is the US Customs that was most undermanned and slowest. But not by very much. The Hall from Hell and the blue seats from hell will be ingrained in many minds for many many years.

The embarkation sounds like a nightmare. We'll be departing in a few weeks on a two ship day. I'm thinking that getting there early will be better (?)...but am unclear as to the entire process. Do you go through first the ship check in, then US customs, then Canadian whatever??? What time are these lines staffed/opened?? Thanks for your help...and warnings!!

The embarkation sounds like a nightmare. We'll be departing in a few weeks on a two ship day. I'm thinking that getting there early will be better (?)...but am unclear as to the entire process. Do you go through first the ship check in, then US customs, then Canadian whatever??? What time are these lines staffed/opened?? Thanks for your help...and warnings!!

No Canadian Customs at embarkation, only U.S. pre-clearance in Vancouver as you head out on an Alaskan cruise. You will go through regular security (scanning of carry-ons and you walking through the metal detector), CBP/U.S. pre-clearance (showing passport to agent, answering a few questions), as well as the actual check-in process for your cruise (credit card, signing, receiving ship's card). You can arrive at the terminal anytime after 10:00 am and will be directed where to go next. We always arrive early but I know some people swear it is better later. We prefer early. :)

It seems like there is a real problem. I read that the agents don't start until 10:30? Is this correct, or should we possibly be there by 10? One person in our party can not stand for a prolonged period of time.

Despite consistent erroneous reports about Canadian customs involvement, the process Karen described is the norm. The 10:30am time you've heard about is nothing to do with customs, immigration, or security - it's the official latest start time for dropping bags with the Longshoremen (it lists 'between 10am and 10:30am' on the passenger info page).

On one and two ship days, odds are high that clearing all the baggage off the incoming ships will have happened earlier - hence many reports and recommendations to show up at 10am if you want to be on board as early as possible, rather than spend as little time as possible queueing - but on those three ship days, showing up too early might mean having to wait with your bags until nearer 10:30am.

Other start times vary - based on having successfully cleared the incoming passengers off the ships. The phrase 'zeroing out' gets thrown around a lot in this context. Basically, until ALL the folks on the vessel are off, nobody is allowed on - so one schmuck on a B2B who doesn't report as ordered and instead wanders the vessel until tracked down delays everyone else (one of the horrible reports from this year mentioned exactly this issue).

Once the offloading pax are cleared and everything is checked, people are allowed to start embarking. The most common time I've seen posted for actually starting to let people into the Security queue is about 11am. Security first, then CBP for BOTH customs (US) and Immigration pre-clearance (US), then finally cruise check-in.

The new three ship day process, involving use of the convention space for seating, adds the extra step of hanging around there until your group is called to go to security. Despite complaints about the time this adds, this has the benefit that you actually get to sit down, inside, with refreshments available and frankly it only adds a little extra walk time to and from the seating areas.

If things still happened in the old way, on three ship days there would be people on their feet queueing through the garage and even into the streets, no seating, no refreshments!

I'm in the 'arrive late' school because I want my end-to-end total time to be as close to zero as possible. Show up before 10am and you are guaranteed to have to wait - nothing is open yet. Show up bang on 10am, if not too many other people are in front of you and longshoremen are ready promptly, you might be able to walk right through each stage with minimal delay - but even if there isn't an idiot causing problems with zeroing out the ship, or longshoremen needed until 10:30am to get all the bags off, you'll probably still have to hang around until 11am before starting the boarding process - so even if you are the first people in every queue and walk right through them all with no delays, you're still spending 60-75mins total.

Show up at 3pm though, and unless there's been a genuine debacle - systems down, half the CBP guys are off sick, something else big that slows processing of boarding pax to a crawl - you can walk straight from bag drop to security, then to CBP without having to sit down and wait to be called, then to cruise check-in and from arrival at pier to opening cabin door should be under 30mins. I value my time much more than an extra meal!

Edited by martincath

I'm in the 'arrive late' school because I want my end-to-end total time to be as close to zero as possible. Show up before 10am and you are guaranteed to have to wait - nothing is open yet. Show up bang on 10am, if not too many other people are in front of you and longshoremen are ready promptly, you might be able to walk right through each stage with minimal delay - but even if there isn't an idiot causing problems with zeroing out the ship, or longshoremen needed until 10:30am to get all the bags off, you'll probably still have to hang around until 11am before starting the boarding process - so even if you are the first people in every queue and walk right through them all with no delays, you're still spending 60-75mins total.

Show up at 3pm though, and unless there's been a genuine debacle - systems down, half the CBP guys are off sick, something else big that slows processing of boarding pax to a crawl - you can walk straight from bag drop to security, then to CBP without having to sit down and wait to be called, then to cruise check-in and from arrival at pier to opening cabin door should be under 30mins. I value my time much more than an extra meal!

Thanks for the detailed information and advice.

Since I am a real worrier, I won't go at 10, but more like 10:30. We are at the Fairmont Waterfront, so it shouldn't be much of a walk. If I tried to wait until 3, I would be spending my entire time worrying that there was a problem and it would be worse! LOL.

We have gone on a cruise from Vancouver, but never remember this debacle. I can only hope that our government puts a few more people on Security. We are on a three ship day and two of them are big!

Thanks so much for your insight.

Since I am a real worrier, I won't go at 10, but more like 10:30. We are at the Fairmont Waterfront, so it shouldn't be much of a walk....

It sounds like you are but please try to enjoy yourselves pre-cruise as well. The Fairmont Waterfront is PHENOMENAL, oh my goodness. We live here and yet stayed there last year before our Alaska cruise, and it is wonderful. You can easily walk across the street when you are ready in the morning. :) We left the hotel at 10:45 and realized we absolutely could have gone earlier as there was already a crowd... so I appreciate that you want to just "get there"! ;)

Have fun.

They changed the procedure at Canada Place last year.

First you check in with cruise line on the second and get your room key.

Then you go down to the first floor and go thru airport type security.

Then you finally go to US pre clearance . After you go waiting for your cruise line. Security doesn't normally open until 10:30 . The same time as US pre clearance.

US pre clearance is the last step before boarding the shop.

from Kamloops.

I am trying to wrap my arms around how I arrive with my luggage...go upstairs and check in on the ship...go downstairs and do security...then Homeland whatever, just doesn't make sense.

What does anyone suggest. This doesn't make sense! If you bring your own luggage, up and down...what a mess. Really?

*sigh* Please calm down. ;) You can leave your luggage with the porters outside like at every other embarkation port you've ever cruised out of. :)

Then follow the signs. Do not worry further. You will only have your carry-on at this point - easily manageable. I'm scared for your health at this point... please stop worrying! :D We did it, thousands of people do it every weekend. You'll be great.