Single cruiser prices

johnw

What does a single person pay for a cruise.

Have you gone to the princess website and selected one person? That'll answer your question, but it's typically twice the base fare and one set of taxes and fees.

Edited by Elitein85days

Since this is the Princess board, lets assume the OP is asking specifically about Princess and not all cruise lines in general.

There are no single occupancy cabins on any Princess ship.

The vast, vast majority of the time the single occupancy rate will be 200% of the double occupancy rate.

For inside and oceanview cabins priced at full rack rate, you may find single occupancy prices in the 170-175% of double occupancy range. But 200% of the current promotional price will always be less than 170% of full rack rate.

Be aware that you will get some responses that under certain promotions Princess has refused single bookings even at the 200% rate. Those claims are not credible.

Edited by fishywood

I have done 2 cruises and have a 3rd booked as a single. The Western Caribbean in 2015 I paid about 150% of the per person double rate, for the Eastern Caribbean this year it was closer to 175%, and for next year's Panama Canal is 200%.

I love cruising Princess and have no problems paying the single supplement (at least as long as it never goes above 200%).

There were a couple of promotions early last year that didn't apply to single occupancy, but so far this year they all have given the per cabin OBC and discounts so it has been good.

For me it always seems to be 200% less 1 person taxes/fees. In other words the same price for the cabin as if it were being occupied by 2 people. To combat this I try my best to book when the price has dropped so it would not be so outrageously expensive. I also use a TA that gives great perks. I do have a sense that the cruise lines do not like single travelers much as they are losing out on the profits being made on board because of the "missing" 2nd person in the cabin.

I think where we solo travelers are really getting taken advantage is the food. We do not eat 2 persons worth of food.

I usually travel solo, but am about to take my 4th Princess cruise and will be at Platinum status, which is about the only perk I will get. Being British and living in Spain we don't get any of the promotions, but I don't think I have ever paid 200%

I do know that someone on another thread once posted that they thought solo travellers should pay twice the tips as the steward still had to make up the stateroom regardless! Now that I would baulk at!

For me it always seems to be 200% less 1 person taxes/fees. In other words the same price for the cabin as if it were being occupied by 2 people. To combat this I try my best to book when the price has dropped so it would not be so outrageously expensive. I also use a TA that gives great perks. I do have a sense that the cruise lines do not like single travelers much as they are losing out on the profits being made on board because of the "missing" 2nd person in the cabin.

I think where we solo travelers are really getting taken advantage is the food. We do not eat 2 persons worth of food.

The difference in food cost to Princess is minimal. I would guess that princess spends less than $1 a day on food per person. So even if they deducted the cost of one person's food you'd only save a few dollars.

I've cruised twice as a single. Once on Princess and once on Holland America and all they have waved is the port taxes and yes- gratuites are for one person- I always give a bit extra though. Some of the other lines give a little more discount. Norwegian has single staterooms on some of their larger ships.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

The difference in food cost to Princess is minimal. I would guess that princess spends less than $1 a day on food per person. So even if they deducted the cost of one person's food you'd only save a few dollars.

The food I get on a cruise would cost ME much much more than $1.00 a day, that is where I get my idea of value.

It varies. Probably anywhere from about 150% to 200% of the double occupancy rate would be normal. However, there are a few ships with some single cabins. Sometimes there are sales for singles.
That used to be the case. Unfortunately, it's more likely to be 190-200% less the 2nd port fees and government taxes. :( There are no longer any Princess ships with single cabins. The original Crown and Regal Princesses had 12 single cabins each on Fiesta deck 4 that were very roomy and had two portholes. Once those ships left the fleet, there have been no single cabins. :( HAL has some on their ships. I know that the Prinsendam does. Not sure which others.
What's wrong with the answers folks have given so far?

They seem pretty reasonable.

You're absolute right. No need to wait for me to respond. There've been some good answers so far. Edited by Pam in CA

That used to be the case. Unfortunately, it's more likely to be 190-200% less the 2nd port fees and government taxes. :( There are no longer any Princess ships with single cabins. The original Crown and Regal Princesses had 12 single cabins each on Fiesta deck 4 that were very roomy and had two portholes. Once those ships left the fleet, there have been no single cabins. :( HAL has some on their ships. I know that the Prinsendam does. Not sure which others.

You're absolute right. No need to wait for me to respond. There've been some good answers so far.

One reason to wait is your going to get the correct answer 99.9% of the time.

Keep up the good work Pam.

Tony

Since this is the Princess board, lets assume the OP is asking specifically about Princess and not all cruise lines in general.

The vast, vast majority of the time the single occupancy rate will be 200% of the double occupancy rate.

For inside and oceanview cabins priced at full rack rate, you may find single occupancy prices in the 170-175% of double occupancy range. But 200% of the current promotional price will always be less than 170% of full rack rate.

Be aware that you will get some responses that under certain promotions Princess has refused single bookings even at the 200% rate. Those claims are not credible.

Very well said!

One reason to wait is your going to get the correct answer 99.9% of the time.

This is a forum, or 'boards' if you prefer.

Lots of people chat. It's kind of a community.

It's pretty disrespectful to the people who have posted good answers

when someone says essentially -- forget those answers, and wait

for one poster to give the right answer.

If you only want to read the thoughts of a single poster, perhaps

you should find a blog. It might be more to your liking.

This is not a hard question. Lots of people have cruised single.

Suprisingly, some of them may have had difference experiences

than others.

thank you for clarifying this.

Can you please explain where you come up with $1 a day? :rolleyes: